Danitrio Bokashi Nuri

Doug C

I did it. I traded off my raw ebonite Mikado.

It is not something I had ever considered doing, but there in my inbox was an email from a fellow FPN'er, asking if there was a way I would consider a swap for his Takumi.

Appearance:

3/5

After looking at numerous Dani's on FPN and elsewhere, I was less than impressed with the Bokashi-nuri finish. It just seemed a little bland.

The model I was being offered was the beige to black version. There were other derivatives, including red/black and green/black. After I looked at them, I realized that the black and tan version (not to be confused with Guiness/Bass) was the classiest version. It is not obvious in the photo's, but there are distinct brush marks between each change in color. From a distance, it almost looks manufactured. This look really does grow on you.

Another aspect of this pen (which might be an issue in all hand made pens) is that one side of the cap is lop-sided. It is difficult to see in the pictures, but it is there.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P6040024.jpg

Nib:

4/5

I now have a stiff fine and flexible fine nib from Dani. They are both very nice.

My (sob..) ultra-large fine nib that is found on the Mikado is now gone. Honestly, the Mikado nib was a little too large for me; no matter, I will have another one some day (this was my primary desk pen).

All Danitrio nibs seem to work perfectly (they are Bock nibs, which is no bad thing) and this is just testiment to the fact that the set up is as important as the actual nib.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P6040025.jpg

Value:

4/5

With all pens, value is in the eye of the beholder. After years of collecting Italian pens (I still dearly love them) I have come to the conclusion that no resin (i.e. PLASTIC) pen is worth $500 or more. I want to see noble materials (Ebonite, Celluloid, Metal, Enamel, Urushi).

Most high end Japanese pens have this. In addition to superlative performance, this is the reason I have been attracted to them.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P6040027.jpg

Conclusion:

4/5

What can I say???

I can't wait for the Danitrio Fellowship to arrive at my doorstep with great anticipation...

(L to R: my current urushi pens: Danitrio Mae West Purple Hana Nuri/Danitrio Takumi Bokashi-Nuri/Namiki Vanshing Point Raden/Nakaya Ake-Tamernuri Decapod/Nakaya Black Urushi Piccolo).

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P6040026.jpg

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doug C

• kazoolaw

• Imzadi

• WendyNC

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely photos of lovely pens! Thanks. :D

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Thanks.

Harry Tan's beautiful photographs of his beige Takumi (ghost writer) inspired me to shoot a few of my own (although there is really no comparison).

the Danitrio Fellowship

Someday. :drool:

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember, amateurs built the ark.

Professionals built the Titanic.

Thanks for sharing your collection with us, Doug. Quite impressive. :thumbup: I especially like how your Nakaya Ake-Tamernuri decapod has such dimension. But as for the Bokashi Nuri, I quickly thought of a "black & tan" when I first saw it, too. :) Beautiful coloration, very rich and classic vintage. There were two-tone open top automobiles with huge fenders sporting the same colors, back in the 30's. The Bokashi reminds me of them. What a marvelous trade for a raw ebonite Mikado! Well done.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Well ... I can say I do believe one should have a Mikado and a Takumi. But, trading a Mikado - well, let's not go there. The Takumi looks wunderbar. And there really is a difference in the feel of the Densho, Mikado and Takumi, making having one of each almost an imperative.

I am also awaiting the Fellowship SE. I think the wait enhances my appreciation of the pen. I also need time to pay for it. :P I am unfamiliar with the SE's size, so I am curious what it will feel like. At least from Kevin's photo's (in the Land of the Rising Sun forum) I can tell it will be about MB 149 sized, which is a super plus for me.

Frankly, I still cannot quite understand my obsession with Danitrio pens. But it feels really good.

What a gorgeous pen! I am really in love with Danitrio right now: I just received my first today! :cloud9:

I have the red/black and love it. You will see the colors blend together with time. Congrats.

Joi - The Way of the Japanese Pen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3387580367_f8a1a5c1df.jpg

Thanks Gary. I completely understand the analogy with the great cars of the past (and I completely relate to the beer comparison)......

Astute observation.

Frank,

You're upsetting me. I realize perfectly that my Mikado is no more (at least in this house) ...

Sob... :bawl:

I was close to being over the trauma, and you have reared its ugly head again.

I think you are culpable, and have to do your part in ensuring I get another one.....

(but actually, it went to a good home)...

the Danitrio Fellowship

Very nice pens! I like DaniTrio very much. Nice collection, truly.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Nice to see Mae West in purple again.

Love the Decapod. In your pics it reminds me of an Omas Paragon, with the facets on the cap and barrel.

Could you compare the two pens, Decapod and Paragon, as writers: weight, post or not posted, balance, nib performance?

Thanks for sharing this part of your collection,

gary

Nice to see Mae West in purple again.

Love the Decapod. In your pics it reminds me of an Omas Paragon, with the facets on the cap and barrel.

Could you compare the two pens, Decapod and Paragon, as writers: weight, post or not posted, balance, nib performance?

Thanks for sharing this part of your collection,

gary

I bet you miss the Mae West huh Gary?

I don't own a a Paragon, but I do have a new style Milord, which is bigger than the old Paragon. The Decapod really does look almost fluorescent in these pics doesnt it? That's just because I have no talent for photography (and an old camera).

-They are both light weight, but the Omas is more imposing due to its width.

-I don't post either of them. My Milord has one of the facets that is a little off so posting would be tough. Even when I try to post though, it is top heavy. It is long enough to where it feels good unposted.

The Decapod on the other hand, will post. There are a lot of people out there, my self included that have a fear of posting Urushi pens even though I have heard there are no issues with doing this. I don't use it that way, but it seems to have great balance either way. I noticed on the Nakaya site that in discussing the new 'little' Decapod, which is the size of the Piccolo, they talk about it being okay to post, which seems to indicate that the bigger version is not. I havent found that to be true.

- People are going to start hating me for continually saying this, but my Nakayas are not great writers (I do promise to get them fixed soon). I ordered the Decapod from Mottishaw and while I was waiting for it, I ordered the Piccolo from the factory (the price was changing from around $250 to closer to $400 so I jumped on it). Had I had a little experience with one of their nibs, I might not have ordered the fine nib. It really is true that Nakaya nibs are a half size smaller than even other Japanese nibs. They are both flexible nibs (and they do have a little line variation), but they are both dry.

I told NIBS.com that I liked the Bexley fines, and they suggested the medium for the Decapod. It is actually finer than that. For my next Nakaya, I will get a broad.

On the plus side, both the Piccolo and the Decapod have always started right up, never skipped, and feel great in the hand. Once I get them fine tuned, they will be incredible.

- The Omas was the surprise. It gets so much bad press that I was reluctant to order it without having the actual pen in my hands. It has been perfect since day one (knock on celluloid).. It is one of my favorite writing pens. The nib is stiff, but has a little give, and seems to have the perfect flow. I currently only have 4 Omas and 3 of them are FP's ((The Arco Milord, an LE Marconi, one of the older clear demonstrators with a steel nib (a great little pen), and a purple 360 Mezzo RB)). Even with the issues that the company seems to have had with QC, I have never had a bad writing Omas.

I hope I answered your questions, Gary.

Doug.

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

Hi Doug-

You know, it wrote nicely, but I just couldn't get past the purple. It went off for sale to finance a Milord Wild. Had it been a tamenuri it would never have left my pudgy little fingers.

I'd agree with your thoughts on the new style Milord: nib is a bit stiff, not sure what to make of the asymetrical imprint (facing the writer when held for use), with an entirely different feel than the classic Paragon celluloid. I share some of Richard Binder's thoughts about this pen he shared on his blog, but the design doesn't make this pen unusable for me, although I usually don't post the cap. As it would take me forever to save for, and locate a Galileo, I could swing the finances on a Milord Wild, and get ahold of that gorgeous celluloid quickly.

It was the old Paragon celluloid that I had in mind. The Decapod shares facets, and its proportions also make it a very graceful pen. I really like the lightness of the celluloid. The section makes the pen a pleasure to write with, without the drop-off from the barrel of the new Milord.

Best wishes,

gary