Signum De Divina Proportione Doric

AltecGreen

I first discovered Signum pens in searching pens for my little graduation pen project. I was suitably impressed with the Signum Nova. Since those pens were meant as gifts, I decided to add a few Signums to my collection. I purchased these from Steve and Mary Ann Zucker. Extremely nice and wonderful people. After a brief discussion with Steve, I settled on the De Divina Proportione (DDP) in the Doric style.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3255/3472556896_73b84cf78c_b.jpg

Apperance (8.5/10): I bought the all resin version of the Doric which comes in a light blue marble resin trimmed with sterling silver trim. The standout feature is the clip which is shaped like a column with a Doric capital. The top of the pen is set with the Signum trademark wheel. There are two trim rings on the cap and one on the barrel that meshes perfectly with the one on the cap. The resins used by Signum are all beautiful and this one is no exception. The pattern is like fine marble in a light blue color with white pearlescent highlights. This pen invokes the color of the Aegean sea.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3303/3472556978_ea00a75faa_b.jpg

Design, Weight, Size (8.5/10): This pen is extremely long, about 6" capped. The barrel is straight and tapers from the end of the barrel to the cap. There is a step down to a section that is on the small side. The pen weighs 31.2 g loaded. The pen can be posted but the balance posted is definitely back heavy. The pen is not very heavy for it's size and is fairly comfortable in the hands unposted. The width of the section is moderate and very close to that of an old style Omas paragon.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3320/3471746975_75ff3dc9ec_b.jpg

Nib Design and Performance (10/10): The nib design is really the standout feature on the Signum pens. The nib is 18 kt and rhodium plated. Mine came in a fine and it writes a true fine. The nib is on the stiffer side but not a nail. The nib is the definition of buttery smooth with very little or no feedback. More OMAS like than Aurora (for an Italian comparison). It lays down a perfectly wet line without any skipping or other problems. I've tried three other Signum pens and all three worked perfectly out of the box and are all almost identical in performance. The QC on the Signum pens seem very tight.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3331/3472557088_5cab628694_b.jpg

Filling System (8.5/10): The filling system is a piston filler although probably a captive converter. The piston is actuated by the small silver disk at the end of the barrel. The metal disk seems small but the action is extremely smooth and effortless.

Value (9/10): I would characterize this pen as a moderately priced pen. The Zucker's offer very attractive direct pricing. I find this pen and most of the Signum pens as really good values given the balance of performance and moderate price.

Conclusions (9/10): This is a great pen for someone looking for something beyond the utilitarian but not over the top high end. I was really impressed with the consistency of the nib performance and the ultra smooth writing. It might be a little long for some, it which case I would recommend the Signum Orione.

A comparison of blue Italian pens.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3351/3471747105_1b5d6285e7_b.jpg

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AltecGreen

• georges zaslavsky

• Immoteus

• Teaos

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for reviewing this beautiful pen! The design is really simple and with just enough flash. Although I'm curious does this pen come with its own desk pen holder (due to its length)?

Edited by Immoteus

Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

Thanks for reviewing this beautiful pen! The design is really simple and with just enough flash. Although I'm curious does this pen come with its own desk pen holder (due to its length)?

No holder. The length is mainly a problem when the pen is capped. The pen barely fits in my pen cases that I use to carry my pens on the go.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

• 6 months later...

very nice pen :)

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

An informative and detailed look at a very interesting pen. Being new to the hobby I'm still exploring the less mainstream pen makers. Thanks for providing a glimpse at Signum. The look and performance of the pen are attractive enough that I might consider adding one of these to my collection at some point. I especially like your choice of color. The deep and rich blue goes very well with the pen's silver colored appointments.