Pelikan Edelstein Amber

trump321

My wife recently posted a review of Pelikan Edelstein Amber on her blog, so I thought I would post it here for everyone to read. This is my first attempt at posting a picture, so I hope everything turns out ok! As a side note - don't expect this ink to have any water resistance at all, but it might make some awesome ink washes.

Hope this helps! More pictures of the bottle, etc. can be seen at http://unwrittenwordblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/tools-of-trade-ink-review-pelikan.html

post-21574-0-13467600-1369144547_thumb.jpg

Edited by trump321

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• angelofmusic81

• lapis

• trump321

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, thank you for a lovely review of a gorgeous ink! I really like your handwriting and the comparisons to other inks. I also really like the format you have used.

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

Great review and so is the blog. I still think this is on the pale side for me but you never know.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks for posting this, I have been undecided about this ink, but will probably take the plunge now.

I too have a white tortoiseshell Pelikan (albeit in 600 size) and I also have used Alt Goldgrun in the pen as a good match to the barrel... However Alt Goldgrun has been renamed 'squashed bug green' by one of my pen pals, so I stopped using it - I suppose if you can't see the match of pen and ink, then the colour needs to stand in its own right. this Amber seems nicely inoffensive.

Thanks for posting this, I have been undecided about this ink, but will probably take the plunge now.

I too have a white tortoiseshell Pelikan (albeit in 600 size) and I also have used Alt Goldgrun in the pen as a good match to the barrel... However Alt Goldgrun has been renamed 'squashed bug green' by one of my pen pals, so I stopped using it - I suppose if you can't see the match of pen and ink, then the colour needs to stand in its own right. this Amber seems nicely inoffensive.

Actually, she uses Alt Goldgrun in her tortoiseshell Pelikan and it also seems to be a great color match for the pen. I personally enjoy both inks, but I can see myself actually using the Amber a bit more.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

FWIW: I use both about the same, all the time. I thought, though, that I liked the Amber somewhat more, simply because of its name and history.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks for the awesome comments, guys! (I wrote the review, and thanks, Dear Husband, for posting it for me!) Personally, I'm a big fan of this ink. It has a lot of character live on the page--it's fun to watch it dry and see where it will shade. I've used it in the Pelikan m400 White Tortoise used in the review, a Lamy 2000, and I believe I ran it briefly through my Edison Beaumont Stealth before I caved and loaded it up with Old Manhattan Black. :) Anyway, all the pens loved it and it was so fun to write with. If you're on the fence about it being too light, go ahead and order a sample of it from somewhere--I was pleasantly surprised a how legible it really is. I'd been looking for an ink to fill the void of a kind of "golden yellow/orange" color, and everything else I tried was too light in finer nibs.

Oh, also--it's worth noting that the comparison to Edelstein Mandarin is kind of off. I used a glass dip pen for that part and it was REALLY wet. When I ran that ink through a pen it was MUCH lighter than it appears there.

Oh, also--it's worth noting that the comparison to Edelstein Mandarin is kind of off. I used a glass dip pen for that part and it was REALLY wet. When I ran that ink through a pen it was MUCH lighter than it appears there.

True, Edelstein Mandarin is lighter. I added 3 parts of Pel Briliant Red to 6 parts of Mandarin, and look ! a really bright tone of Orange came out. It is my experience. If the red dominates, you may anoint it 2:6 instead of 3:6.

BTW the Amber to me looks like a brownish shade of Mandarin. My 2 C. Anyway the Edel bottle is so beautiful, it deserves excuses for any deficiency in its ink department.

• 2 months later...

Hello. Hope this note finds u all doing well. It's been a while since I've had the pleasure of your company, but I haven't invested much in the way of my addiction lately, as I've got so much product right now. I did though, buy a bottle of the Pelikan Edelstein "Amber". Just couldn't pass this one up...I partly made this buy based on some of your wonderful reviews...As always, your sage advice is important in my buying decisions. For that I thank you. If anyone else has more to offer on what I hope is a great ink, p;ease feel free to share your experiences with me...Thanks & regards, LeRoy P.S. Wanted to thank trump321 for the great effort and thorough review...

Edited by wnclee

So, does everyone think that getting this ink would be worth it despite having Mandarin in my collection as well?

Very torn between getting the bottle and saving that money.

Sean - Organics Studio Sales Associate
Fountain Pen Lover
Nibmeister
sean@organicsstudio.com

So, does everyone think that getting this ink would be worth it despite having Mandarin in my collection as well?

Very torn between getting the bottle and saving that money.

Well, I'd say get it because it's a completely different colour. Just like many Diamines or Iroshis... there are lots of inks -- within one and the same company -- which may be classified as "similar", but using both, side by side can show you that they are different enough to buy all of them.

Whew!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

You raise a great point.

But in the end I'm going to have to hold off. I just don't use that color group enough to justify it at this point. Maybe I'll wait a few months and find a half empty (or half full) bottle on the classifieds or eBay.

Sean - Organics Studio Sales Associate
Fountain Pen Lover
Nibmeister
sean@organicsstudio.com

Personally, I prefer the Amber to the Mandarin. I found the Amber easier to read back and the color looks better on the page to my eyes. The shade of Mandarin is nice, but I find myself just wishing for that extra dash of saturation to bring it up to what it could be. I feel like Amber has that one notch more saturation that puts it ahead.

Cool review! This ink keep growing on me, even though I thought I'd reached the end of the line as far as colours are concerned... Maybe a nice complement to Mandarin and Orange indien... Mandarin never fails but looks way more orange, maybe even neon orange from a Muji fountain pen?

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I use this ink and would urge those interested to try a sample. In the flesh - so to speak - it really does look stunning on a sheet of quality white paper.

"In his physiognomy there were what seemed traces of many passions which his will had disciplined but which seemed to have frozen those features they had now ceased to animate."

Il Nome della Rosa, Umberto Eco

I was actually quite impressed with this ink. I like it a lot better than the other Edelstein inks I have tried. It has a nice color and good shading.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

FWIW: I use both about the same, all the time. I thought, though, that I liked the Amber somewhat more, simply because of its name and history.

Mike

And because you know that Ambers are cool.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Edelstein Amber is one of those inks that looks different when in different pens. Penultress posted a sample in the Fade Olympics and it looks different from my own writings. It is a very nice ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY