Noodler's Habanero.

Inka

I've seen this reviewed but since being given a sample I had to chime in as well.

I'm not too fond of reds, have no need for corrections and maybe it dates back to school and those [cough] occasional mistakes?

Maybe I have an aversion for reds, implanted deep into my psyche from childhood?

Beats me, I have reds, I use reds, just not for letters and usually only for footnotes or drawing.

OK, after writing with Habernero I'm not seeing red, not really orange, not really yellow, I'm seeing visions of food dancing through my head.

Images of hot-wings, B-B-Q short-ribs, the small garden we have outside with among other things the peppers that are beginning to grow.

So here's my version/review of this very interesting ink, the only ink I can honestly say has ever made me think of food...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/Noodlers-Habanero-Review.jpg

I need to chuck out my messed-up eye-dropper pen, the one I keep grabbing for ink comparisons that has Polar Black inside.

I can fix most things, but this is one pen that's beyond my immediate ability to fix, ink gets past the feed and drips all over if I forget.

Anyway, I regress; back to the Habernero ink review, it's fun to use and one I will be very likely to buy, need to have some color in my collection and this fits the bill.

P.S., please forgive the mis-spellings, I think I was getting hungry and couldn't think straight.

Ooops!

:huh: ;)

Edited by Inka

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inka

• bardharlock

• khymeera

• gregamckinney

Love the shading I see in your example. Have you tried it on an extra fine nib? I find so few inks shade when you start writing that skinny. I also loved seeing this against Nikita. Thanks for the scans!

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

...Have you tried it on an extra fine nib?...

Take a closer look at my scan again, far right of "Nib Type" and "Paper Used Here", in the right margin.

The nib I'm using is a "Specialty" nib unlike any other, the top is an XXF ball nib [an 2x Extra Fine nib].

I deliberately wrote with it there, in the margin, to show how it looks using an Extra Fine nib, how it barely shows the shading but some shading is there.

There is just a tiny bit of shading seen, yet like most inks I have that shade they tend to be less noticeable with EF or XF+ nibs, this ink included.

;)

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

Ah, gotcha, excellent! Thanks for pointing that out because I obviously missed it.

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

...Thanks ...

You're very welcome.

I tend to skim over things myself at times, did that just last night in a reply and when I re-read it I went "oops", so I completely understand.

:thumbup:

Edited for mis-click on my mouse, entering the wrong smilie.

Just chalk up one more "Ooops" for the Inka-Man!

:rolleyes:

Edited by Inka

This is my most frequently used ink. I love orange inks, and this one is dark enough to work well in any pen. No matter the width of the nib, or how wet or dry the pen flows, habanero works perfectly. IIRC, I'm on my sixth bottle.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

That a lot of the same ink, Greg.

Thanks for sharing the info, good to know after @ 5 bottles already it works so well in so many pens.

This is my first orange of any kind, I'd try some Saffron by Cd'A later just for a comparison if that wasn't so much more expensive.

Funny thing, my wife is busy in the kitchen now, slicing up of all things Habanero peppers and green/red/yellow peppers, no idea what she's making but it reminds me of using the ink last night.

She didn't write with it last night but I did show her my written review, seems the influence of this ink is more far-reaching than just making me hungry last night.

Thanks for the feed-back..

Noodler's Cayenne is on the redder side of this color, but Caran d'Ache Saffron moves more toward the orange. The Saffron is a very well behaved ink in addition to its color. Keep an eye on Pear Tree Pens's prices. Jim puts C d'A ink on sale once in a while.

...Caran d'Ache Saffron ...very well behaved ink in addition to its color.

Keep an eye on Pear Tree Pens's prices. Jim puts C d'A ink on sale once in a while.

I just looked and the prices are @ $15 a bottle which is a decent price compared to most that carry them but the Saffron is out of stock.

This was a 2006 release of inks, all of the Caran d'Ache Colours of the Earth series, so I'm not sure if they'd ever be getting more Saffron.

I may have to call and ask, although I don't yet know Jim.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for another great review. I decided on Noodlers Cayenne when I was looking for an orange/red ink and I love it. Habanero might get the nod next time- it does look good too.

David

• 1 month later...

I got the Habenero after reading this review. It's a great colour! Thanks for the fantastic review and droolsome handwriting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Darn this site! Stop tempting me!

Sometimes you just have to give in . . .

This is one of my favorite inks, one I use daily.

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

Darn this site! Stop tempting me!

Sometimes you just have to give in . . .

This is one of my favorite inks, one I use daily.

I'm already planning on buying it...I find it's shading irresistable!

I feel so guilty for giving in this easily...

but so happy!

but guilty...

but happy!

screw guilty!!

Give up my fountain pen? You'll have to pry it from my cold, dead, inkstained, hands!

Habenero is only my 12th bottle of ink, so I'm still relatively new at this (but getting older all the time). This ink though has stood out as just plain fun to use. It's a bit like watching fire come out of the end of the pen, all those shades of red and orange. I keep thinking that it should be a difficult colour to read too, but actually, its really easy to read.

Never thought I'd be an orangey type of person, but I know habenero will never be out of my rotation for long.

Therese