The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Trialling the Namiki Falcon

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 feiye

feiye

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2008 - 23:35

I've been following everyone else's handwriting posts here and it's been very inspirational! I got my hands on a Mottishaw Spencerian approximation Namiki Falcon at the beginning of this week. It's my first time using a full flex nib and I'm finding it a completely new experience!

I don't really like my capitals and I'm trying to find exemplars of other forms which aren't too flourished, any suggestions? I've also found that while I can control my slant extremely well with non-flex and even semi-flex nibs, it seems to go out the window once I put the Falcon to paper. Anyhoo, samples below.

And just as a comparison, my cursive and my regular print/cursive hybrid. Excuse the red marks in the background, I wrote on the other side of the paper with Caran d'Ache Sunset which showed up in the scan rolleyes.gif

In rotation:
Pelikan M400 with Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji
Nakaya Kuro-tame Desk Pen with Platinum Blue
Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with Aurora Black

Twitter: @souveran

Sponsored Content

#2 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2008 - 00:28

Very nice looking writing feiye. thumbup.gif As far as advice goes: some paper will simply feel better with a flex pen and show shading better so test different papers. The rest is just practicing to get a feel for flourishes. I know that learning how to really lighten up my upstroke to get a fine line then pressing more on the downstroke to get a heavy line took me a while.

Edited by jbb, 30 July 2008 - 00:29.

#3 feiye

feiye

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 837 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2008 - 00:38

QUOTE (jbb @ Jul 30 2008, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very nice looking writing feiye. thumbup.gif As far as advice goes: some paper will simply feel better with a flex pen and show shading better so test different papers. The rest is just practicing to get a feel for flourishes. I know that learning how to really lighten up my upstroke to get a fine line then pressing more on the downstroke to get a heavy line took me a while.

Thanks for the advice! It's still a work in progress and I'm usually a very light writer with fountain pens so it's the pressing down part that requires some confidence. I'm afraid of pressing too hard so my downstrokes are often wobbly. Also the nib itself feels so much more delicate than my daily writer (Lamy 2000, go figure unsure.gif ) so I'm easing up a lot when using the pen.

As for paper, I'm still new in that arena and I'm still learning! biggrin.gif This was just some blank paper I had lying around which is fairly thin but doesn't feather or bleedthrough at all (although the Sunset did show up in the scan, you can't really see it in real life). I tried some paper in an art journal either only the nib kept catching so I let it be. Are smooth papers better for flex nibs?
In rotation:

#4 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2008 - 00:44

QUOTE (feiye @ Jul 29 2008, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for paper, I'm still new in that arena and I'm still learning! biggrin.gif This was just some blank paper I had lying around which is fairly thin but doesn't feather or bleedthrough at all (although the Sunset did show up in the scan, you can't really see it in real life). I tried some paper in an art journal either only the nib kept catching so I let it be. Are smooth papers better for flex nibs?

I personally don't like smooth papers for flex writing even though I like them for other sorts of fountain pens. I like something with a bit more "tooth" like a paper with 25% or 100% cotton content (Southworths, Crane, Eaton, Neenah.)

#5 pmsalty

pmsalty

shamus

• Member - Gold

• 1,316 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:55

Thanks for the examples. I also want a flex nib Falcon from Nibs.com but for drawing not writing. So I am very interested in how it feels in your hand and how versatile in making lines it is?
PMS
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

#6 NeoTiger

NeoTiger

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,039 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:46

Hey, great writing Feiye! That's much better than anything I could attempt tongue.gif

#7 alexanderino

alexanderino

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 15:24

Most impressive.

#8 theblackpen

theblackpen

Nib creep

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2008 - 20:24

Beautiful! thumbup.gif

NO

#9 calliej

calliej

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 22:46

I have read this post about 4 times and everytime I think I have posted only to find I havent!!

So - I keep coming back to it because it is inspiring, thank you Feiye........

It's the one post really that made me determined to search out a flex nib....

I actually really like your everyday print cursive too, it may not be as elegant but it still has a flair about it

So I'm opinionated - get over it!!.......No, really - get over it!!
Hmmmm I was going to put up a WANTS list - but that's too long as well ......

Posted Image

#10 feiye

feiye

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 837 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:15

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone!

I think I've become slightly more accustomed to using the pen but it's still a bit too unpredictable for me at times. I've gone back to trying out some semi-flex nibs and some full flex nibs that are slightly broader (fine-medium) before I attempt to tackle the Falcon again.
In rotation:

Sponsored Content

|