Ladies in Tulle!

QM2

http://vacumania.com/websitesalespics/pen2294lg.jpg

After looking for these darling pens in the colours I liked for some time, I spotted, and promptly bought two at once this week: One from Richard Binder in black with gold netting, and one from David Isaacson (pictured above) in red with gold netting. So exciting : )

These are Lady Sheaffer Skripserts, I believe either XI or XIV. The netting pattern is called "tulle", though it is not always referred to by this name on sellers' sites and in auctions.

Does anybody else out there like these pens? Anybody collect them? I would really like to know, what were all the colours they came in. I am particularly interested in the enamels with the painted-on netting, not in the metals. There is an ivory one I've seen in photos that looks wonderful. Any other enamel colours?

QM2

Edited by QM2

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QM2

• pen2paper

• Taki

• GiJin

Top Posters In This Topic

In the clipless models----I Tweed gold on silver, Mandarin red section , II Corduroy gold on ivory, ivory section, III Corduroy gold on black, black sction, IV paisley black section, V paisley gold on ivory ivory section, VI Paisley gold on periwinkle periwinkle section, X Tulle gold on ivory ivory section, XI Tulle gold on black black section, XII Tulle gold on gold mandarin red section, XIV gold on mandarin red mandarin red section, XV Silvered Moire' rhinestone band around cap ivory section (stones can be clear, green red, perhaps blue, XVI Golden Moire' rhinestone band (colors ?) fillagree band mandarin red section, XVII Silver brocade, rhinestone band (colors?) fillagree band black section, XX Silvered satin, inlaid gold band ivory section, XXI Silvered satin, inlaid gold band Mandarin red section, XXII Flowered petite point, gold flowers on ivory, ivory section, XXIV Petite point silver flowers on black black section, XXV Silvered damask silver band rhinestones (colors ?) ivory section, CX 14 kt gold, sterling inlay rhinestones (colors?) Made-- 1958-1964 with Triumph nibs. Matching pencils exist as does a clipped fabric pouch and a small case for carrying ink carts. in the same fabric. I am informed that desk sets made by Lenox were also produced in white, pink and green. Many/some?? of these same patterns were also made in a "hooded" model with clip. The Roman numerals refer to Sheaffer's designations of models. It is possible that other variations exist. Hope this helps. Your pic is XIV

Thanks Fred for that information. Where did you get it-- is there a complete catalogue of these things online?

So, it looks like there are only 3 clipless enamel models with the tulle pattern then: The black with gold, the red with gold, and the ivory with gold? Of course that means that I now must have the ivory one to make the set complete.

QM2

The Lady Sheaffer Skripserts are nice pens, but let me tell you, the finishes are not durable: the paint tends to come off, the cap and barrel ends tend to collect dings, and on those models with a plated nib, the gold plating comes off easly.

So if you have some really nice ones, you need to baby them.

Good luck,

Don

The Lady Sheaffer Skripserts are nice pens, but let me tell you, the finishes are not durable

That's depressing! Haven't been in the market long but I've seen a few of these for sale (online) and I've totally fallen in love. Sad to hear it's hard to find an undamaged model.

Thanks for starting this thread, QM2.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Hi there,

Glad to see someone was more prompt with a reply - I couldn't get to my reference materials before now.

Just by way of extra detail - because some of Sheaffer's names for the models, colorful though they are, may not be fully descriptive of the designs:

"Tweed" = wavy etched lines

"Corduroy" = etched pinstripes

"Paisley" = basketweave

"Tulle" = etched fretwork (as your lovely Model XIV shows)

I fully endorse the comments regarding the fragility of the finishes; I've seen pens with intact chalk marks, in the original packaging...with damage to the cap tops and/or barrel ends. Online photos, like those in eBay listings, can make it difficult to spot such damage; it's not that sellers are being deceptive, it's just that the usual straight-on photo angle often seems not to capture the problem areas. (Maybe these really did need to live inside those fashionable fabric pouches!)

I've seen references to clipless hooded-nib variants of the standard models, but I haven't had occasion to handle any examples. As for the hooded/clipped Lady Sheaffers, my impression is that these came later than the first-generation clipless models, and I haven't yet seen one that exactly replicates a finish used in that first generation. For example, there are lovely brushed-chrome clipped pens with a gold fretwork pattern similar to that of the Tulle pens, but it's not identical; and there are beautiful clipped gold-and-black "basketweave" pens whose finish is close to that of the Paisley models, but again, it's not identical.

Also: Wearever produced a competing line of ladies' pens - I can never remember whether they were called "Ladyfair" or "Fairlady" - that look for all the world, when capped, like Lady Sheaffer prototypes or variations. (Their conventional open nibs destroy the illusion when the caps are removed.)

And no, regrettably, there is no online catalog or profile for the Lady Sheaffers...to my knowledge, at least. I often think that this series would lend itself beautifully to a PenGallery piece at Jim's site, or to one of Richard's marvelous pen profiles.

Cheers,

Jon

From Penworld Magazine in 1994, a chart of these pens:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/sheaffer%20pens/skripserts_penworld-1.jpg

and a pen/pencil set from my collection

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/sheaffer%20pens/DSC_0001-16.jpg

The Lady Sheaffer Skripserts are nice pens, but let me tell you, the finishes are not durable: the paint tends to come off, the cap and barrel ends tend to collect dings, and on those models with a plated nib, the gold plating comes off easly.

So if you have some really nice ones, you need to baby them.

I've definitely heard that before and have seen some in less than stellar condition. Both of the ones I got are said to be in very good condition, so I am excited and do plan to take care of them. But, how bad is it? Do those who have these pens only "collect" them and do not actually use them for fear of damaging the finish? I would not be able to do that, I use all my pens. But I guess my posting preferences should be seriously reconsidered with this one!

Philm: Thank you for posting those catalogue pictures, that is very cool. The pencil and set you posted -- Those are the ivory "paisley", right?

I am disappointed that there are only 3 tulle models, I could have sworn there were more.

Dang, now I will be absolutely obsessed about the ivory!

The "tulle" really appeals to me over the other patterns. It is so elegant and harmonious; reminds me of the etched Nakaya maki-e ("Housoge").

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/PiccoloHousogeShu_Capped.jpg

Edited by QM2

I am disappointed that there are only 3 tulle models, I could have sworn there were more.

Dang, now I will be absolutely obsessed about the ivory!

Wearever made pens very similar called "Lady Fair", and I have pink one with a pattern just like Tulle. This is an article about Wearever version in Pennant by Frank Dubiel.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Takif/my_images/IMG_0748.jpg

Wearever made pens very similar called "Lady Fair", and I have pink one with a pattern just like Tulle. This is an article about Wearever version in Pennant by Frank Dubiel.

aHA, I knew I've seen these. I think I have seen the yellow-orange one on the photo below a few times, and that is what I was remembering.

How do you like yours and what do you think of its durability? It seems like they are a bit smaller than the Lady Sheaffer Skripsert, and the netting pattern is painted with a lighter touch? I could be wrong though.

http://www.pencollectors.com/pennant/winter00/images/wearever1.jpg

Edited by QM2

aHA, I knew I've seen these. I think I have seen the yellow-orange one on the photo below a few times, and that is what I was remembering.

How do you like yours and what do you think of its durability? It seems like they are a bit smaller than the Lady Sheaffer Skripsert, and the netting pattern is painted with a lighter touch? I could be wrong though.

Yes, Wearever one is smaller than Sheaffer, and it feels a tad lighter, too. To be honest, I haven't been using it as the nib is too wide for my writing. So I'm not really sure about how it wears.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Takif/my_images/IMG_0750.jpg

I have not seen Sheaffer Tulle pattern in person closely, so I can't directly compare but I agree with that the pattern on Wearever seems rather light, as far as I compare with the Sheaffer Paisley pattern. The Paisley pattern is actually etched into the metal, I think.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Takif/my_images/IMG_0753-1.jpg

The blue Sheaffer was described as in "very good condition" by the seller :rolleyes: and it really disappointed me (the seller never posted on FPN, and is not around any pen boards any more).

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Takif/my_images/IMG_0752-1.jpg

One thing I like about Wearever one is the nib. I think this nib was used for their other pens, too but the vertical writing and clear feed are cool.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Takif/my_images/IMG_0754.jpghttp://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Takif/my_images/IMG_0755.jpg

Edited by Taki

Hi, I am glad to see people talking about the Lady Skripserts.

Other collectors who have more than I do are Kim of penquest.com and Betty from PT (I think she posts also on FPN).

Couple of weeks ago they both had some wonderful photos over at Pentrace.

Here is a photo of some of my ladies :)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/azavalia/ladies-004.jpg

Edited by antoniosz

Wow, I am scrolling down this thread and marveling at all the gorgeous images people have posted. Thanks Taki for your Lady Sheaffer Skripsert vs. Wearever Lady Fair comparison! Those close-ups make gorgeous images, even with the periwinkle Skripsert damaged.

Antoniosz, I have a question about your wonderful collection: In the left compartment of the image you posted, there are 3 gold tulles. It looks like one of them is gold on gold, and others are gold over red, possibly with red netting -- is that accurate? And if yes, what is the difference in model names and what do they look like uncapped -- does one have a gold (or black) gripping section, and the other red?

Also, as far as you know has there ever been a silver version of the tulle instead of gold?

Thanks!

QM2

Other collectors who have more than I do are Kim of penquest.com and Betty from PT (I think she posts also on FPN).

Betty? Is there a Betty who also collects the Lady Sheaffer Skripserts? Oh, wait a minute maybe you meant me? Okay, I think I have it straight now. :)

I collect them, and have at least one of all of the models excluding the "Matelasse" pictured in the 1994 Penworld magazine drawings. The last picture I posted on PT had what my collection consisted of except now I also have the model XXXV- "Damask" which I got after shooting the folding fan photo, so that one is not in the group. Here's the most recent fan photograph that was posted on PT a couple of weeks ago.

[bTW, there are four (4) Tulle models: the ivory with gold netting, the black with gold netting, the mandarine with gold netting, and the gold with gold netting]

For the most part, the photo shows them in the order that appears in the Pendemonium 1959 Lady Sheaffer catalogue brochure .

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g185/lapinz/Ladies_Skripsert_Fan.jpg

I have 8 of the desksets as well. Seven are for holding a single pen, one is a double pen holder.

Both Antonios and Kim of Penquest have helped me a lot with information and such.

The finishes on them are fairly fragile though. But my suggestion is if you want to use it, then use it as long as it writes well for you. Any dings or whatever are bagdes of honor and each can tell a story if you remember how it got there! LOL

Two of my three daughters each have one of the paisley models that my husband and I have given them and my daughters use them all the time, they love them!

Becky

a.k.a. bunny :bunny01: (yes, I'm the original dancing bunny instigator!)

Edited by bunny

• 2 weeks later...

Betty? Is there a Betty who also collects the Lady Sheaffer Skripserts? Oh, wait a minute maybe you meant me? Okay, I think I have it straight now. :)

Becky, a thousand apologies :( .....

Great photo BTW.

And oh, the matelasse... I would die to see one of them :)

• 3 years later...

I have recently purchased a Lady Sheaffer Skripset (I think that is what it is called) V. I am very new to pen collecting and selling and I am very excited about this purchase. I wanted to share this with you all in this thread. I have looked at several of these pens on this site and others and I think the one I have is in the best shape as I have seen. (as far as the ivory and gold goes)

I don't know enough about the nibs yet to make a call about it's condition.

2011-08-14_10-20-39_353.jpg

2011-08-14_10-19-53_262.jpg

2011-08-14_10-22-50_320.jpg

2011-08-14_10-20-04_793.jpg

GiJin, Am enjoying this review of the Lady Skripserts: )

Wish they, and their photos, could be merged into one thread for ease of study.

In most comments, you will read about the fragile nature of the painted finish. This is true.

So, a current owner of Lady Skripsert would want to consider whether this pen, in fine condition, (as yours appears), would want to subject it to rigors of use in the outside world, such as handbag or briefcase. Very soft, padded case at the minimum.

Polished brass tulle's, with paint filled lines, rather than painted, with turning, (etching-per catalog), seems to fair better in actual use. Also, the metal on L Skripsert is thin, and in my observation, possibly brittle.. The matching pencil that accompanies my polished brass Tulle, is split down the side of the brass body.

As to which Were considered higher-end.. in the catalog there are prices, with features.

Gold vs Silver nib. Blingy pastes in a ring, (Brilliants-per catalog), were near the top - of those I've seen, the pastes are sometimes missing or in poor condition.

Have you inserted an cartridge or dipped, and test driven yet?