Hi

stypen

Hello all,

I've been collecting fountain pens since we spent the year in France when I was 9 and I got entranced by the way they felt and by the idea of ink eradicators. My first couple of pens were Parker school pens. Over the years, I've picked up a couple of "high end" pens along the way. (Absolutely in love with my new Cross Verve--the most expensive pen I've ever bought, but very worth it.) But I haven't had the money or inclination for TOO much of that. Primarily I've had a ball collecting school pens since I was 10.

Anyone else here into cheap European school pens? I mean even including the really cheap plastic ones where the points are made from folding the metal nib rather than from a ball of metal. I've found there is a tremendous range of school pens, and some are actually incredible writers (especially the old French Stypen school pens--hence my username--which had folded nibs but smooth wet ink supplies and a nice amount of flex). Most retailed for about $1-$5 dollars. I still use one I got in 7th grade, and it is smoother than many gold-nibbed pens, and never skips.

At the extreme end, by the way, the cheapest pen I have I got last summer for about 30 cents in Prague. It is a Chinese "Herb 330": aparently a cheap imitation of a cheap Hero imitation of a Parker 51. For 30 cents it writes pretty nicely, though it is definitely not one of my favorites...I don't like rigid or extra-fine points.

If people are interested, I might put up a review of some of these different types of cheap school pens and some good deals to be had in Europe (though right now is a crazy time as I just became a father :D )

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maja

• stypen

• Velma

• Dillo

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on the new limited edition! And I would definitely be interested in your writing about school pens and other inexpensive models.

Hi,

I have a collection of school pens from Europe, USA, Japan, and China. School pens are quite fun to collect. I have plenty of Parker Reflexes, Vectors, Sheaffer Cartridge pens, and a bunch of other pens coming in the mail.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Welcome and congratulations on your new addition!!! Mom and baby doing well? Boy or girl? How much did he/she weigh? How long? Name? Picture(s)? Come on man, you can't just leave us hanging like that! That's hard on us, particularly on those of us who are relatively new parents (22 month old son, Kenneth, peeping out of a box in my Avatar).

Oh yeah, welcome to FPN. Got a few school pens . . . .blah blah blah. Show us your new baby! Who wants to talk about pens when we can see such a bundle of joy! ;)

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hi Stypen and welcome to FPN! :D

Please allow me to add my congratulations on the birth of your baby!!

That's wonderful news! Oh, and you can tell us as much or as little as you'd like--no pressure :)

On the pen front....Yes! I love inexpensive school pens, too! I have several made by Sheaffer, a few Pelikan school pens (P10, P22 and an older Pelikano), two Stypen pens (a Stypen "Up!" and a Stypen "X-Pen" from a friend in Sweden (hi Claes!), a Parker Vector and Reflex, a Sailor and several others whose names escape me right now...I love the fact that you can go into a grocery store in Austria or a department store in England and find inexpensive fountain pens that write well :)

I'd love to see some of your pens and read a review or two (or more, heh)

Hi guys. Thanks for the welcome.

Southpaw, mother and baby are well. Our boy just came home from the orphanage last week. He is one year old and absolutely adorable! :)9

However, things are pretty crazy right now, so I realize I won't have time to do review(s) or even post much for a while...

Hi guys. Thanks for the welcome.

Southpaw, mother and baby are well. Our boy just came home from the orphanage last week. He is one year old and absolutely adorable! :)9

However, things are pretty crazy right now, so I realize I won't have time to do review(s) or even post much for a while...

Don't worry about it, Stypen; as crazy as we are about pens, we all know that family comes first :D

Congratulations and best wishes once again!!

~Maja

Hello Stypen and welcome to the Fountain Pen Nuthouse :D I am sure that you will love it here and gain a lot of knowledge about pens, and maybe even attend a few pen shows.

My first fountain pen that I purchased was a Sheaffer School Pen, which I still have to this day. I can remember writing many exams with that pen. I just wish that more parents would take an interest in their children's handwriting, to purchase good quality writing instruments for them.

Welcome aboard and...

Happy Holidays!! :D

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."