Einstein's Pen

Jared

I think it's clearly a Monteverde Cambria, from 2003. With relativistic time travel, this would not have been a problem for Albert.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/hisnibs/Blog/Miscellaneous/cambriaclipmirror.jpg

Actually it would still be a problem. Relativistic time travel only allows you to jump forward in time, not back.

That used to be the accepted interpretation...but things change. :headsmack:

As Dr. Michio Kaku (theoretical physicist and recent biographer of Einstein) says:

"Even after Einstein, most physicists believed the clock ticked in only one direction. While moving faster than the speed of light could, according to Einstein's equations, reverse time's arrow, such motion was impossible, because any object that reached that velocity would become infinite in mass. Trips to the past were preposterous.

Not anymore. Having examined Einstein's equations more closely, physicists now realize that the river of time may be diverted into a whirlpool - called a closed timelike curve - or even a fork leading to a parallel universe. In particular, the more mass you can concentrate at a single point, the more you can bend the flow. "

Regards,

Norman Haase

His Nibs.com

www.hisnibs.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HisNibs1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jared

• ANM

• Johnny Appleseed

• captnemo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's clearly a Monteverde Cambria, from 2003. With relativistic time travel, this would not have been a problem for Albert.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/hisnibs/Blog/Miscellaneous/cambriaclipmirror.jpg

Actually it would still be a problem. Relativistic time travel only allows you to jump forward in time, not back.

That used to be the accepted interpretation...but things change. :headsmack:

As Dr. Michio Kaku (theoretical physicist and recent biographer of Einstein) says:

"Even after Einstein, most physicists believed the clock ticked in only one direction. While moving faster than the speed of light could, according to Einstein's equations, reverse time's arrow, such motion was impossible, because any object that reached that velocity would become infinite in mass. Trips to the past were preposterous.

Not anymore. Having examined Einstein's equations more closely, physicists now realize that the river of time may be diverted into a whirlpool - called a closed timelike curve - or even a fork leading to a parallel universe. In particular, the more mass you can concentrate at a single point, the more you can bend the flow. "

Huh, I hadn't heard that. That's pretty cool. So is that a function of General Relativity, gravity wells, and all that non-euclidean weirdness?

Still, it does seem like a lot of trouble just for a pen.

Indeed, there are other possibilities that arise in between the inner and outer event horizons of a rotating black hole--all kinds of possibilities for travel in space and time. And now that we've proven the existence of a Bose-Einstein condensate by creating them, we can cause a beam of light to come to essentially a complete halt (a few inches per second), disappear at one point in space, then reappear at another point and continue on. :roflmho: Weirder and weirder it gets and more of our fundamental assumptions are discarded.

:roflmho: Weirder and weirder it gets and more of our fundamental assumptions are discarded.

Doesn't that always seem to be the case though? That's why I find the whole thing so interesting. Some of the philosophical implications that have come out of quantum physics are just staggering. A lot of it even makes our normal Aristotelian idea of "reality" look like a twisted joke - not to mention that after a while the word "is" starts to look suspiciously like a damned dirty lie. :D

It always reminds me of Douglas Adams' idea that if anyone ever managed to figure out how the Universe actually worked it would instantly be replaced by something infinitely weirder, and that this may have already happened.

:roflmho: Weirder and weirder it gets and more of our fundamental assumptions are discarded.

It always reminds me of Douglas Adams' idea that if anyone ever managed to figure out how the Universe actually worked it would instantly be replaced by something infinitely weirder, and that this may have already happened.

Didn't you get the memo?

I love Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker series. I remember reading it in the 4th or 5th grade, and the profound affect it had on me as a child. Great stuff!!

I haven't really kept up with Quantum Physics, so this has been an interesting read :)

Indeed, there are other possibilities that arise in between the inner and outer event horizons of a rotating black hole--all kinds of possibilities for travel in space and time.

:hmm1: :hmm1: YYEEESSSSSS. Always possibilities

Buy the way, it's a Pelikan MC2

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

I guess I should have sold those undergrad modern physics texts back to the bookstore when I had the chance. New reality...bah.

Michael

Having examined Einstein's equations more closely, physicists now realize that the river of time may be diverted into a whirlpool - called a closed timelike curve - or even a fork leading to a parallel universe. In particular, the more mass you can concentrate at a single point, the more you can bend the flow.

With backwards time travel in mind, who hasn't wished they could travel back in time to purchase a few choice pens when they were brand new? I know I have.

Jared

With backwards time travel in mind, who hasn't wished they could travel back in time to purchase a few choice pens when they were brand new?

Yea, but you would just get busted for trying to pass off dollar bills that were dated 2006 - and nobody would take them anyway.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

looks like a pelikan for me as well

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

With backwards time travel in mind, who hasn't wished they could travel back in time to purchase a few choice pens when they were brand new?

Yea, but you would just get busted for trying to pass off dollar bills that were dated 2006 - and nobody would take them anyway.

John

I'd purchase vintage money--not too hard to do, and quite worth the trouble given what you'd be able to purchase with it.

Jared

• 2 years later...

After looking at a number of vintage Pelikan pen tops (and not accounting for time travel) I'm pretty sure this isn't a Pelikan--the top is not narrowed like a Pelikan, and the ring looks too thick. I have no idea what it could be as many European pens of that period looked very similar. Maybe it's a Montblanc...

Edited by Jared

Looks like it might be a Soennecken to me.....Don't know those models well enough to say which one, though.....

Have Camera....Will Travel....Wire SigSauerFan AT Hotmail DOT com

Inveterate trader. Send me a note for my list of pens, watches, knives and other fun things for sale or trade....

The Danitrio Fellowship

Einsteins pen

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/matthewsno/Citizen-Einstein.jpg

The following are scanned fromLambrou's Fountain Pens Vintage and modern. To me only the Pelikan 100 is of the correct time period and comes closest to the picture in his pocket.

Montblanc

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/matthewsno/Scan-1.jpg

Pelikan

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/matthewsno/Scan1-1.jpg

German diverse

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/matthewsno/Scan3-1.jpg

I can't get Sonnechen scan to show.but to my eyes, only two pre 1940 examples are close and the tops look too squared off to match.

Edited by ANM

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

Not to cause disruption, but have a look at the cap on this creature:

http://dirck.delint.ca/Alster.jpg

The dome is a little high, but the shape of the clip is pretty much on.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

<!--quoteo(post=500269:date=Feb 2 2008, 06:38 AM:name=Johnny Appleseed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Johnny Appleseed @ Feb 2 2008, 06:38 AM) 500269[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With backwards time travel in mind, who hasn't wished they could travel back in time to purchase a few choice pens when they were brand new?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

John

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd purchase vintage money--not too hard to do, and quite worth the trouble given what you'd be able to purchase with it.

Jared

Maybe if you just go to the 1980s. I mean seriously, how much they have changed, and if they ask, just say its the new version. Besides, who really reads the years on their money?

I think it looks like a Tropen Scholar. Einstein's clip looks a bit thick and has a slight upward bend.

http://www.njuskalo.hr/image-w450/stare-stvari/nalivpero-tropen-scholar-1954g-slika-907499.jpg

Edited by kcunvong

• 1 year later...

This was an interesting read.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.