Pelikan 400nn

bdngrd

It's definitely marked KF, simonrob. But it doesn't look anything like the picture. It's been a bad day actually, I got my EOS10D out to take a photo to post only for the camera to die with the dreaded Error 99 message - so I have a lovely looking pen with a dubious nib and now a stuffed camera - possibly not my day today.....

Could it be that you're right that the tipping material has come off?

If I can get my (a) camera working, I'll try and post a pic tomorrow.

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aysedasi

• piembi

• bdngrd

• dwmatteson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aysedasi, is your pen really a 400NN? The nib definitely looks like a 400 nib. Earlier model 400. The later 400 nibs and the 400NN nibs look like the single tone modern nibs.

If you have a 400NN, someone switched nibs with an even older 400 nib. EF nibs can be pretty scratchy. I have a smooth one and a scratchy one. The nib seems to have tipping material but one cannot tell exactly fron the picture.

If you have a modern Pelikan, try to swap nibs. In general they may fit. But I had a vintage Pelikan where the modern nib did not screw into easily and I did not force it.

Or tonight even.....

Here's a couple of pics. Not great as I don't have a macro lens....

It looks as though the tipping material is still there. I won't swear to it, but based on the top photo I wouldn't be surprised if the two halves of the tip aren't properly aligned; that would make it feel scratchy, as would uneven wear (unless you hold the pen exactly the same way as the previous user who wore it down). A "trained professional" can easily see if it has either or both of these problems and fix them (pendemonium will do it for a mere $15, but I guess that won't help you in the UK...); it's amazing how much difference proper alignment makes.

Whatever the problem, I hope you don't let this put you off vintage Pelikan nibs. Properly maintained, they run rings around their modern counterparts (well, for my taste anyway).

Good luck!

Simon

What I saw early in this thread was the threads were the same on the new nibs which suggests to me they will interchange. I also seem to recall from Richards site that they will fit as well.

I wouldn't risk it, personally. When I got my 400NN, the seller had replaced the original nib unit with a modern 400 one. It did fit, but was unusually tight. Had a hard time trying to unscrew it.

Think there're others here who've had similar experiences, but for the life of me I can't find the thread...

Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers on Facebook

Piembi is right, that is for sure an older nib, probably from an early 1950s 400. As far as the funny shape in that old nib chart, only one of my K nibs has that "spoon" look to it. Most seem rather normal looking once they started using the Pelikan logo (the bird).

--Doug

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/pennemo/Pelikan/nib100-klein.jpg

( from www.ruettinger-web.de )

Edited by DougS

Richard Binder shows a Pelikan Nib Compatibility Chart on his website. Now I remember... I had bought two extra Pelikan nibs, one being a two-tone M400 and the other being a single tone M200. The M400 "sort of" fit the 400NN... it showed an exposed metal collar in the nib unit that looked a little wrong to me. I ended up sending that one back. The M200 nib fit in the 400NN perfectly.

My 400NN came with an OEM nib, that has maybe just a touch more flex than the modern replacement. But it wasn't a significant difference. So, I figured it would be better to use the new one. Later on, I bought a 140 that had a decimated nib--no way to repair it. I put the new M200 nib in that and put the vintage nib back in the 400NN.

I also agree that Aysedasi's 400NN looks to have an older 400 nib that may have a tine alignment problem. I think that any scratchy nib can always be smoothed out, but you need the tines properly aligned first.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Thanks for all this guys, I appreciate it. What can I add - it's my only Pelikan - I just wanted to get one - yes, any one really, to try one. This was unexpectedly cheap (ebay auction). Now I look at it, the cap band says 400. No mention of NN. Would there be? But there's no doubt about the KF on the nib - that's sitting there quite clearly. I think I need to find an expert in the UK to take a look at it for me.

I've actually used the pen a few times today. Not quite as scratchy as I first thought but it does have (what seems to me to be) a heck of a lot of flex - probably just because I'm not used to it. It lays down a nice wet line. I think I might even get used to it........ ;)

Thanks for the review!

Also, I loved the text in the background - The Sea Wolf was my all-time favorite book as a kid.

FWIW, in my limited experience the vintage 400xx nibs are not quite as smooth as the modern ones, maybe because they flex more (not to imply that all flex nibs are scratchy). But I'd certainly try to align the tines and see if that helps.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

• 1 month later...
FWIW, in my limited experience the vintage 400xx nibs are not quite as smooth as the modern ones, maybe because they flex more (not to imply that all flex nibs are scratchy). But I'd certainly try to align the tines and see if that helps.

This is my experience as well. Especially the 400 nibs with the oldfashioned engravings. The 400NN nibs can vary from somewhat scratchy to buttersmooth. Medium or broad nibs tend to be smoother than fine nibs.

This is my experience as well. Especially the 400 nibs with the oldfashioned engravings. The 400NN nibs can vary from somewhat scratchy to buttersmooth. Medium or broad nibs tend to be smoother than fine nibs.

Speaking of which, the vintage nib from my 400NN squeaks slightly across most papers. I've examined the nib tip with a loupe and I don't see anything out of the ordinary. It's the only pen I have that does this--same paper but different nibs yields nothing but the normal "shuffle" sound of your usual nib. What could cause this?

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

What size is the squeaky nib, MYU?

I've a 400NN medium which squeaks as well. Under the dissecting scope I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary either. In the end, it seemed to be mostly the fault of the inks I was using- I'm always searching for a pen that'll handle Lamy Blue-Black really well, and had first dipped it in that- squeakfest 2008. Pelikan BB also was supersqueaky. Polar Blue felt perfect, but only had a sample and didn't want to use it for sure yet. Pelikan Black and vintage Parker Super Quink BB Permanent also write smoothly and with no squeak or only minimal squeak (e.g. less than the modern Pelikans I've used). I don't think it has to do with flex at all- this pen has the most flex of any pen I've personally used, going from M to something 2-3 times as thick.

I've a 400NN with a somewhat whacked out Fine nib (tips touching, ovular slit, could use some nibmeistering to straighten it out) that writes *incredibly*. It writes almost as thick of a line as the medium 400NN, but incredibly smooth, even with the squeaky inks. But ... sometimes it clicks. Which is also annoying.

As to what would cause it? My guess is the tipping material. It's not like anyone's used iridium for many decades, always an allow of a bunch of metals, with the specific composition varying by nibmaker. I think that's probably to blame. That, and the size and wetness of the nib can make the squeakiness worse or better. The squeaking seems to be worse on smooth papers- Apica squeaked the most for me, compared to Rhodia and Cambridge paper. Perhaps the paper and pen are too smooth, like rubbing glass on glass?

Aaron

(who will be selling the medium 400NN as soon as he can find his camera! PM me if you don't want to wait. :)

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

• 2 years later...

I love the look of the 400NN. Thanks for the great review. For what it's worth, I find mine a bit scratchy too, though I would love to find a vintage nib that combined the flexibility I love with modern smoothness.

I love the look of the 400NN. Thanks for the great review. For what it's worth, I find mine a bit scratchy too, though I would love to find a vintage nib that combined the flexibility I love with modern smoothness.

I have a 400NN with a OB nib that I acquired early last month. Wonderfully smooth and with considerably more flex to it than I actually know what to do with! :embarrassed_smile:

"Go on doing with your pen what in other times was done with the sword" - Thomas Jefferson, 1796.

Current lineup in play:

PELIKAN 400NN (OB) & (F) M600 (M), AURORA 88 (M), CROSS ATX (M) TOWNSEND (M), OSMIROID 75 (M), TWSBI 530 (F),

• 2 weeks later...

The K in KM and KF stands for 'Kugel'

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png