First Parker 51

Roger

Scored a real nice, maybe never inked, specimen on the Bay. :) I figured the aerometric would be the easy way to get my feet wet, so that's what it is. Barrel in mint Navy Grey, cap is perfect Lustraloy. Sac beneath the filler bar was completely clear, no stain, whatsoever. All this for a real low price.

Better yet, is that after its ritual soapy bath, drying and subsequent fill of WM Florida Blue it wrote a smooth F line. Everything is absolutely as it should be except it's a pain to get into operation! :(

Never having used a hooded nib before, I find that after uncapping it, I have to purposely look at the nib and rotate it so that it is properly oriented to the paper. The blasted hood keeps this from being an easy job. With a standard nib/feed, I uncap it and can easily see the orientation of the nib in my peripheral vision and it just finds its way to the paper in the proper alignment. Intuitive, I'd say.

The hood allows about 30 degrees of rotation either side of the correct position. I must give it that special look and twirl between my fingers. That 30 degrees is critical, as the pen won't write when that far off.

Small gripe, to be sure, but as a newbie with this pen it was immediately noticeable, and I don't see how familiarity is going to change the situation. ;)

Otherwise, I like it! :D

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roger

• Maja

• HesNot

• JimStrutton

Hi Roger,

The thing to do is use it capped, with the clip point in the direction of the nib point, parallel to the way it should touch the paper, if you get my drift... :D

BTW, congrats on another nice pen!

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Wim has the right idea. The 51 is certainly a pen to be enjoyed with the cap posted; I find that the cap adds some weight to the pen to make it just right for me, in addition to the arrow pointing at the nib.

Glad to hear that's your only problem with the 51; they're great pens.

Thanks guys. Yes that is a possibility except that it requires that I deviate from my norm of never posting. I hate to mark an otherwise pristine barrel, but as the user that I claim to be, I should just enjoy it whatever way I can. I mean, other than me, who's going to get the good from my pristine specimens...my heirs, that's who! :D

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Hi Roger,

The thing to do is use it capped, with the clip point in the direction of the nib point, parallel to the way it should touch the paper, if you get my drift... :D

BTW, congrats on another nice pen!

HTH, warm regards, Wim

But after you cap the pen, you have to re-orient it all over again the next time :rolleyes: :P

Whew...I feel better about myself now. I thought that I was the only one out there that had trouble with the Parker 51.

I picked up a great condition Parker 51 a few months back from one of our forum members, but I had the same problem with the orientation of the nib. It just never "felt" right to me. I ended up selling it a short while later for about the same price.

I feel like a load has been lifted from my shoulders after admitting that to you all... :D

TMann

As a long time 51 user, I remember this issue from my early days. You just get used to it and eventually it's instinctive, even when - like me - you don't post the cap.

Persevere and you'll find you won't even have to think about it.

Ray

Yes, I agree with Ray. I have been using Parker 51's for about 45-years, and the nib orientation has become instinctive. If I look at the nib at all before writing, I look at it from the top. Keep at it. I think the P-51 is a great pen to stick with.

Roger - No question there is some adjustment to using a "51" - and it will become second nature ... eventually. But I can see how both the styling and the functionality of the "51" can be a turnoff to some -- and the learning curve more than someone would want to put up with for a pen. However, I generally keep two inked pens on my desk during the day at work (or in my pocket) and I find that almost always one of them is one of the two "51"s I have.

Not the flashiest pens but the hype around functionality is, in my experience, on point. Both of mine are user grade aerometrics and they've both been rock solid out of the gate. Once you get used to the hooded nib orientation I have found that both have never failed to start and they can tolerate a pretty extended period uncapped and still start immediately.

But as a user the advantages of the hooded nib - basically the increased flow and quick starting associated with less drying of the feed (along with the relatively large reserves stored in the feed) - have to be worth the aesthetics and the adjustment for it to be worthwhile. I tend to use a pen off and on - editing documents and jotting notes, and there are times it is really nice not to have to continually remove and replace the cap.

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

I have never had much trouble with orientation of the nib on a 51. The hood on a 51 is not perfectly symmetrical top-to-bottom, and really all it takes is a tiny glance to know which way it goes.

I also find that with the slip-cap I always cap it so the clip lines up with the nib, so when I uncap it the alignment is perfect. I don't even really think about it - it's just automatic at this point. And I am not a daily user of a 51, but it is always in my bag - always ready to go if I need it.

J. Appleseed

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

I don't remember ever having had a problem with nib orientation on the 51. But then, it's been so VERY long since I first used one (it was my second ever FP) that I started using in High School. I'm still using it.

A second 51 that belonged to my aunt and which was restored by Richard Binder I had specifically adjusted to be a wet writer. There's no problem, whatever, with nib orientation with this pen.

George

Pelikan Convert and User

I have the same problem with the nib on the Lamy 2000, which is often described as "semi-hooded". Takes a sec to get it oriented on the paper. The bigger problem, for me, is that it's also less tolerant of rotation in the hand while writing than are open-nibbed pens.

This is a personal quibble. The 2000 is one of the best FPs ever made, IMO, deserving of classic status right up there with the Parker 51.

Viseguy

Scored a real nice, maybe never inked, specimen on the Bay. :) I figured the aerometric would be the easy way to get my feet wet, so that's what it is. Barrel in mint Navy Grey, cap is perfect Lustraloy. Sac beneath the filler bar was completely clear, no stain, whatsoever. All this for a real low price.

Well apart from being green with envy, and that being despite having it's identical cousin in my pen draw, welcome to the addiction!

You either love 'em or hate 'em, 51 are like that. I love 'em which is why I found to my shock & horror that I have ten of the blighters lurking in my pen draw.

Like others have said, the learning curve is there, but after a while they become a natural extension of your writing hand. I have to concentrate when I use a conventional nib pen like one of my Sonnets. In fact they frustrate me because they don't start instantly like a 51, (or a 61 for that matter and I have four of them too).

From experience, your first 51 goes one of two ways, either it is your first and last and it gets traded away pretty quickly, or it grows on you, then you just have to have a Vac 51 to try, then what about a different colour and cap, then lo and behold, you are like me a total addict :blink:

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

You either love 'em or hate 'em, 51 are like that.  I love 'em which is why I found to my shock & horror that I have ten of the blighters lurking in my pen draw.

Ten isn't many! :D

Like others have said, the learning curve is there, but after a while they become a natural extension of your writing hand. 

I've done a lot of writing with it, and I'm gradually getting past the nib orientation issue. :)

From experience, your first 51 goes one of two ways, either it is your first and last and it gets traded away pretty quickly, or it grows on you, then you just have to have a Vac 51 to try, then what about a different colour and cap, then lo and behold, you are like me a total addict :blink:

I think that this one will stay as a nod to the popularity and ubiquitousness of the marque, even if I should decide not to pursue more.

Doc I's enthusiasm for the Vacs is contagious, and I've found myself thinking of them. :rolleyes: But then, I would have to have an exemplar of the vintage Shaeffer line, right? A snork, perhaps? :lol:

Oh dear!

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Roger - No question there is some adjustment to using a "51" - and it will become second nature ... eventually.  But I can see how both the styling and the functionality of the "51" can be a turnoff to some -- and the learning curve more than someone would want to put up with for a pen.

Yes but what why should there be a learning curve with this pen? :blink: The Lamy 2000 has a similar issue? I don't think that any pen you should eventually get use to!

I had and sold one and didn't find it to be special enough to write with that would merit this learning curve of use.

blasphemer Kurt :ph34r:

Edited by Tytyvyllus

Ten isn't many! :D

Great so I am not an addict then, buying more is just prudent in case I need them!

Thanks a bundle :D

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!