Are Parker Fps No Longer The Best?

AMlines

I noticed while checking Gouletpens, Anderson pens, penchalet and the like that they either don't have Parker FPs or just a few models.

In general, in posts on the forum nobody recommended that I buy a Parker.

My impression was that Parker make some of the best FPs. But, now I sense that people think Japanese and European brands are the best.

Or, am I missing something here?

Thanks!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• A Smug Dill

• Honeybadgers

• Mangrove Jack

Parker still makes some gorgeous pens but it is true that, like most of the heavy hitting manufacturers of the nineteenth and early tweniteth centuries, their best work is behind them.

If you want to look at vintage, Parker is still one of the most desirable choices.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Pen brands, like cars, watches, televisions, mobile phones and any other consumer item, have their devotees.

I collect mainly Parker pens but have examples of many other brands. Amongst those brands I have pens which have such wonderful nibs they write beautifully.

Modern Parker pens are made in France (Duofold, Sonnet, Permier, vector, and Jotter), China (Urban and IM, perhaps others), and finally under license in India by Luxor.

The modern Duofold and Sonnet pens I own or have used have been excellent pens. Reports on lower end pens like the IM and Urban are likewise good.

As to whom makes the "best" pens i really dont know. I have Waterman, Waterford, Sheaffer, Cross, Platinum Montblanc, and other brands which all write beautifully. Even my disposable pilot v pens write extremely well for a $7 pen. It all comes down to personal taste. Try before you buy if you can and buy what you enjoy using the most.

Appropro of nothing;

"And Caesar's spirit, ranging for revenge,

With Ate by his side come hot from hell,

Shall in these confines with a monarch's voice

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;

That this foul deed shall smell above the earth

With carrion men, groaning for burial."

Does Parker make some great pens, yes, but not many different models compared to their competitors, they are all cartridge convertor fill, they have a very limited number of nib choices and a short warranty period. This makes them less desirable than many of their competitors.

You could ask the same question inserting "Waterman" instead of "Parker". Both brands were dying under Gillette then revived by Sanford under Newell Rubbermaid, where they sit with Rotring and Sharpie; though not on the same marketing rungs.

There are perfectly good pens of each to be had new today. I agree with silverlifter though, that the greatest rewards of those brands are in vintage pens.

X

Sonnet still have 8 nib choices available in either stainless or 18k.

Duofold have 14 nib choices available in 18k.

As was observed above, vintage pens offer a greater range and probably greater value for money.

They still make nice pens. Just not super competitively priced ones.

The sonnet would be a world beater if they just stabilized an entry level 18k nib price at $85, offered their entire nib line, and fixed the cap drying out problem. It's got a lovely nib and wonderful fit and finish.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

The trouble I have with Parker is that their lower priced pen ranges - the IM & the jotter do not make very good fountain pens (the Parker jotter ball point is a design icon though).

They dry up very quickly - so hard starts are quite common - and they are very fussy about the ink you put in them. Other, cheaper brands such as Faber Castell, Platinum and Lamy offer better pens, with a better writing experience that is often cheaper. The nib on Faber Castell's Loom is better than any current production parker steel nib, and costs less than £40.

It took me a while to warm to the Sonnet - I bought mine in a sale - and it is a better writer, and it posts - making it an ideal pen for everyday carry. But again, a #3776 comes with a 14K nib that is a beautiful writer and is cheaper than the fancier trimmed Parker Sonnets.

If you are looking at vintage/classic Parkers, then that's a different story. I have Parker 45s, Slimfolds and P51s - all of them are at least 40 years old and are writing as good as new. A P45 can be had for £20 - and the Slimfold for £10, they come with gold nibs and are much better writers than Parker's current crop.

Parker seems to have spent the last twenty years standing still. They introduced the Ingenuity range, which was offering a hybrid rollerball/FP experience. Other Japanese and German manufacturers have added to their ranges and give customers a decent writing experience across their bands at all prices.

I'm more likely to recommend vintage Parkers, or other brands these days, because they offer a better writing experience for a better price.

Hm. My new Vectors write much the same as my 30 year old Vectors. I would have no problem recommending a Vector as a workhorse pen.

Parker still makes wonderful pens, especially their higher priced models. But, their models that are manufactured in India seem to be inconsistent in quality.

And be careful if you are considering buying pens like the Sonnet, for example. There are plenty of fake Chinese made pens, which a lot os shady eBay and Amazon dealers try to pass off as genuine Parker pens.

In their long history they did make great pens. My two Sonnet evaporators bought new have always been a pain to use since they require almost constant refilling, I should finally give up and replace them by something reliable; my older 75 bought used is a joy, but still a tiny pen. I haven't got a ciselé 75 only because I've been saving for a Waterman Carène, but the demand is still there. Every other recent Parker pen looks gaudy to me, and the Sonnet debacle doesn't inspire confidence. We should keep in mind it's a minor miracle these companies even exist still.

I'd love a modern, larger, easy to clean silver pearl Vacumatic and a larger ciselé 75, just as I'd like a larger Pelikan with a steel nib for under $150... Won't be holding my breath.

Desirable pens for me are the Waterman Carène, even the Charleston is starting to look good, Pelikans in rhodium trim, Sailor, Pilot; chinese vendors have been doing interesting things but are far from being reliable, let alone desirable.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Sonnet caps have had a redesigned inner since 2015. Anything with the newer cap will be fine.

You can leave then untouched for weeks and they write first time - no drying out. It looks as if this will follow them to the end of time, but as they took so long to sort it out maybe they deserve it!

Similarly, Centennials and International Duofolds have now had the tiny hole in the side of the cap removed, so they don't dry out either.

John

Parker don't make quality pens anymore and they don't make pens for people who use them for writing.

The drying out issues are legendary. Sonnets are in this regard hit and miss with newer ones apparently fixed. The second hand market is iffy due to rampant fakes. The Sonnets tend to be very heavy and some have metal drip sections, which are both no-nos for me, making the flighter the only viable model (light weight compared to the other finishes and has a resin grip).

The one old style Urban I had would squirt ink after almost every uncapping, so it went back.

The old IM I still have has always been a good writer, but has a metal grip section which is fairly slim, which I don't like, I prefer resin sections.

The new IM looked much improved, better grip section, nicer nib, great and smooth writer. Dries out over night and one cartridge full of ink is gone within a couple of days in spite of minimal writing. Legendary Parker drying out issue strikes again.

My experience with the old Urban and the new IM does not inspire me at all to try the new Urban, so I won't.

On top of that all these models are very heavy.

The Vectors and Jotters (new and old) are the only Parkers which write perfectly and don't suffer from drying out issues, of all the models I have. They are also the only ones I can fully recommend.

Their downside is though that they are crazy slim and only good for brief notes (plus again a metal grip section of the Vector), in which case I might just as well stick with my good pens.

I have tried several brands (of today's still active pen makers) and find that Japanese and German pens are simply the best in terms of quality and price.

The only Parker which is apprently worth its money and which fits my taste and needs (lightweight, made of resin incl the grip section, smooth, reliable, decently sized grip section, is a c/c (my preferred filling method)) is the Duofold.

I don't see however why I should drop so much money on one pen, when the cheaper models are all lacking in one area or other and tend to be (worst of all) unreliable (ie drying out over night).

And for the price of one Duofold I can buy several gold nibbed Japanese pens (and some steel nibbed German pens), which are top notch quality and won't disappoint.

Well, the notion that Parker makes (some of) the best pens ever depends on where you come from and what vintage year you take. I think it's safe to say that they were up to par with Waterman, Wahl, and Sheaffer in the 20s and they were World-class then. They extended to Europe in the late 20s and, if I'm not mistaken, were only successful in the U.K. and somewhat in France. They failed miserably in Germany with their attempt to take over Osmia because they didn't meet the market requiements. In Italy, the design of the Duofold was copied like crazy but not the rest of the pen. So, thinking that Parker made the best pens ever is a uniquely U.S. perspective, I'm afraid.

Edited by OMASsimo

This is an fascinating question, and one that could well apply to any number of "classic" brands that are no longer manufactured by the original companies. I have modern and vintage examples of Conklin and Sheaffer pens, and struggle to discern any real variation in quality. That being said, I am far from an expert on such matters. I believe that in the end it really comes down to user experience, which is largely a subjective matter.

Modern traditional North American brands like Parker/Waterman, and Cross don't get the recognition they deserve at this forum. They still make great writing pens. People at this forum are drawn to the niche and European and Japanese brands for the cachet associated with all things more foreign, exotic, and niche.

Here is a review of a modern Parker Sonnet by well respected fountain pen reviewer Stephen Brown. My experience with modern Parkers (5 Sonnets, and an Urban) echo Stephen's experience. The same for all my modern Cross Townsends, and Sheaffer Legacy Heritage and Prelude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyXU42zuGR0

Could the person who indicated that it is possible to get a modern Parker Sonnet with eight different nib choices identify which online retailers offer this as well as who offers a Duofold with fourteen different nib choices. I ask, as Parker itself does not offer that many nib choices through its own nib exchange program. Some Parker pens are only available with two nib choices, per Parkers own website.

Edited by Parker51

Sonnet caps have had a redesigned inner since 2015. Anything with the newer cap will be fine.

You can leave then untouched for weeks and they write first time - no drying out. It looks as if this will follow them to the end of time, but as they took so long to sort it out maybe they deserve it!

Similarly, Centennials and International Duofolds have now had the tiny hole in the side of the cap removed, so they don't dry out either.

John

Both of my sonnets are post 2015 and have drying out problems. I can blow air in the cap and it comes straight out the finial.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Could the person who indicated that it is possible to get a modern Parker Sonnet with eight different nib choices identify which online retailers offer this as well as who offers a Duofold with fourteen different nib choices. I ask, as Parker itself does not offer that many nib choices through its own nib exchange program. Some Parker pens are only available with two nib choices, per Parkers own website.

I looked here: http://www.parkerpen.com/en-GB/nib-exchange-pgm and found 8 nibs for the duofold line and 5 for the Sonnet.

Instagram @inkysloth