The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

On The Brink Of A Conid, A Little Sadly

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 tubular

tubular

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2019 - 23:47

Having read and reread everyone's observations and remarks and questions about the Conid pens, I seem to be on the brink of ordering one--but which?  As so often, when there are many attractive possibilities, any individual choice begins to feel as if it is missing something, simply because it doesn't have everything. 

I want the gorgeous red of the AntwerpPen and the titanium knobs of the kingsize demonstrator (which probably wouldn't go with the AntwerpPen red even if the two were available together) but without the visual mess of the demonstrator, plus an ink window.  And I want the size 8 titanium nib, because why have titanium unless the nib is big enough for it to make a difference, but I want it in a smaller body.  And I'd prefer not to feel like a hypocrite for caring what a pen that first attracted me for its ability to rise above the superficial looks like.  

If I dither long enough I may go back to the lesser Sailors.

Do those of you who had a hard time choosing a Conid pen body regret your choices, or did you simply buy a second (or third or fourth) one?

Sponsored Content

#2 Tiggercat

Tiggercat

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 00:06

I can empathize - I too am considering a Conid, but am lost in the choices. For the moment, I'm holding tightly to the hope inspired by a comment I read somewhere that the material from the Cavens pen will eventually make its way into other sizes. In that case, I think a Regular in that material would be a good start for me. (Though you're right, the red is gorgeous.)

#3 tubular

tubular

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 00:21

Too many options!  (And yet too few, too.)  We are indeed greatly to be pitied.

#4 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,827 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 00:54

the cigar kingsize with a big 18k #8 will probably be my med school graduation present to myself

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#5 tubular

tubular

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:33

That sounds as if it will be worth a lot of belated nights and premature mornings!

#6 kl005

kl005

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:28

After much deliberation, I've narrowed down my choices, which are below in order of preference/priority.

(1) Regular, either the stealth matte black one with a black titanium nib, or the flat-top clear demonstrator.

(2) Kingsize, flat-top clear demonstrator. I would have gotten it as a present to myself upon my graduation last December, but I was (am) short on funds  :crybaby:

(3) Minimalistica, only for the snap cap.

#7 tubular

tubular

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:52

I like the snap cap too.

Do you (does anyone) know what the stealth matte black material is and whether it is as durable as what it covers?  It does look very nice.  But then everything Conid makes looks very nice!

#8 kl005

kl005

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 06:02

The website says that it's Delrin. Can't speak from experience, since I've never owned a Delrin pen.

#9 tubular

tubular

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 06:05

Nor I.  My only association with delrin is with turntable parts.  

The stealth black on the trim and on the nib wouldn't be delrin, though, would it?  (No--I see it is anodized metal.)

Edited by tubular, 08 April 2019 - 06:42.

#10 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

nibulous

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:53

Minimalistica, which I own, does not have a 'snap' cap. Gentle push and turn to open and close.

Purchased because of aesthetics and cost. Titanium CI nib and engraved clip. I enjoy the cool soft feel of the Delrin, the smooth lines and the lack of a section/threads. I like that it does not call attention to itself. Discreet.

I have five nibs. Two steel and three titanium. Titanium see the most use. I'll be buying a fourth.

Edited by Karmachanic, 08 April 2019 - 07:54.

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#11 whichwatch

whichwatch

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 14:45

I had the same problem.  Fascinated and wanting to try, confused by the options, and no chance to see them in person.  Then the solution found me - a friend in our local pen club had one he wanted to trade for one of my pens.  So it came to be that I have a Minimalistica Fontuplumo Limited Edition.

The engineering is great, though the filling system takes just a touch of getting used to.  I wish the cap were screw on rather than press on, but that's a minor quibble.

I understand Conid will be at the St. Louis Pen Show in June, so I am looking forward to seeing a larger variety of their products.

conid.png

Edited by whichwatch, 08 April 2019 - 14:46.

#12 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• 1,804 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 14:50

The Conid I would go for is the Giraffe, because why not, and I need to empty some bottles of ink already!
FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#13 noddle

noddle

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 15:53

Absolutely no regret with Conid.

I have two:

1. Kingsize Ebonite Streamline

2. Kingsize Ebonite Flat-Top with titanium knobs

The ebonite versions look very classy and feel great in the hand (I have mixed feelings about the demonstrators, but like titanium knobs). The size is perfect for my hands and I prefer the Kingsize's girthier and less-concave section to the Regular.

Pens: Conid Kingsize Bulkfiller (2)

Inks:  KWZ Dark Brown, 

J.Herbin Cacao du Bresil

Graf von Faber-Castell India Red

Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses.

#14 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

nibulous

• Member - Gold

• 1,750 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 16:25

I'm waiting, probably fruitlessly, for a Kingsize Minimalistica. Dreamer.

#15 OmegaMountain

OmegaMountain

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 20:50

I have a Minamalistica with the demonstrator body and Delrin cap. It's a great pen. I would love to have a second Conid but there are so many pens and so little money to go around. The Delrin is a nice warm material but it is softer than other normal fountain pen plastics and so will scratch and dent a little easier if dropped. Mine is typically in a sleeve or pouch when I am carrying it though. You really can't go wrong with their pens.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

#16 mauckcg

mauckcg

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 20:56

Having read and reread everyone's observations and remarks and questions about the Conid pens, I seem to be on the brink of ordering one--but which?  As so often, when there are many attractive possibilities, any individual choice begins to feel as if it is missing something, simply because it doesn't have everything. 

I want the gorgeous red of the AntwerpPen and the titanium knobs of the kingsize demonstrator (which probably wouldn't go with the AntwerpPen red even if the two were available together) but without the visual mess of the demonstrator, plus an ink window.  And I want the size 8 titanium nib, because why have titanium unless the nib is big enough for it to make a difference, but I want it in a smaller body.  And I'd prefer not to feel like a hypocrite for caring what a pen that first attracted me for its ability to rise above the superficial looks like.  

If I dither long enough I may go back to the lesser Sailors.

Do those of you who had a hard time choosing a Conid pen body regret your choices, or did you simply buy a second (or third or fourth) one?

#6 Titaniums are quite soft.  I think i have 4 or 5 now.  The

#17 SpecTP

SpecTP

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 21:32

I opted for the kingsize bulkfiller with CAISO and had a black cap with clear body and titanium trim. It has a very Bauhaus stylistic look to it. I was not swayed by the color options, but I may get another Conid if they release something in green.

I originally had the #8 titanium nib that was soft with some feedback (but not scratchy). But I managed to damage it and replaced it with a #8 18k gold nib that is even softer with some small flex and very wet.

#18 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

nibulous

• Member - Gold

• 1,750 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 22:35

I have a Minamalistica with the demonstrator body and Delrin cap. It's a great pen. I would love to have a second Conid but there are so many pens and so little money to go around. The Delrin is a nice warm material but it is softer than other normal fountain pen plastics and so will scratch and dent a little easier if dropped. Mine is typically in a sleeve or pouch when I am carrying it though. You really can't go wrong with their pens.

Really? According to DuPont Delrin ihas metal like properties and is used to used to make, amongst other thing, drive shafts, cam shafts, conveyor chains, bearings, and gears.  Haven't dropped mine yet though!

#19 tubular

tubular

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 22:44

#6 Titaniums are quite soft.  I think i have 4 or 5 now.  

This is very useful to know.

#20 tubular

tubular

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 22:48

How much does it take to damage one of the #8 titaniums?   (Other than by dropping them, I mean.)

I originally had the #8 titanium nib that was soft with some feedback (but not scratchy). But I managed to damage it and replaced it with a #8 18k gold nib that is even softer with some small flex and very wet.

Sponsored Content

|