Parker Duofold C. 1921-1935 Photo Thread

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

This is a Parker Duofold Deluxe Lady in Moderne Black and Pearl Permanite celluloid c. 1928-1929. The Duofold Deluxe was a response to the new Sheaffer black and pearl celluloid, and according to the Parker Duofold book by Shepherd and Zazove, the Moderne Black and Pearl was a different formulation than Sheaffer's, incorporating real pearl essence. This more expensive material pushed Parker to price the pens higher than other Duofolds, so they added an additional cap band and a larger nib stamped DELUXE. This 4 1/2 inch long button filling fountain pen features three cap bands, new for 1928 and the year before the line was streamlined, making this a single year model. The barrel is stamped GEO. S. PARKER next to DUOFOLD over PATENTED next to MADE IN U.S.A. This example has a firm gold nib stamped PARKER over DUOFOLD over DELUXE over MADE IN U.S.A. The trim is gold filled. Note the discoloration of the cap and barrel, not unusual on these pens. It also is showing use wear as the cap and barrel have years of rough spots. It sold for $7.50 in 1929 and the matching pencil was $3.50.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ParkerDuofoldDeluxeRingtop_2048_01.jpg
Thanks!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• Barry Gabay

• mitto

• GlenV

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have restored a junior. What a joy it is to fill a button filler.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Hi, Folks!

This is a Parker Streamline Duofold Deluxe Lady in Moderne Black and Pearl Permanite celluloid c. 1929-1933. Parker streamlined the Duofold line in 1929, tapering the end of the cap and barrel. This 4 7/16 inch long button filling fountain pen features three cap bands. The barrel is stamped GEO. S. PARKER next to PARKER over DUOFOLD next to MADE IN U.S.A. This example has a firm gold nib stamped PARKER over DUOFOLD over MADE IN over U.S.A. over 36. The last number is a date code indicating 3rd quarter of 1936. It's possible that the nib is later made than the pen. The trim is gold filled. Note the discoloration of the cap and barrel, not unusual on these pens. It sold for $7.50 in 1930 and the matching pencil was $3.50.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ParkerDuofoldDeluxeRingtop_2048_02.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Parker Streamline Duofold Deluxe Senior in Moderne Black and Pearl Permanite celluloid c. 1929-1933. Parker streamlined the Duofold line in 1929, tapering the end of the cap and barrel. This 5 1/8 inch long button filling fountain pen features three cap bands. The barrel is stamped GEO. S. PARKER next to PARKER over DUOFOLD next to MADE IN U.S.A. This example has a firm gold nib stamped PARKER over DUOFOLD over DELUXE over a number over MADE IN over U.S.A. The trim is gold filled. Note the discoloration difference between the cap and barrel, not unusual on these pens. It sold for $10.00 in 1930 and the matching pencil was $5.00.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ParkerDuofoldDeluxeSenior_2048_01.jpg
Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Parker Duofold Streamline Jade Juniorette c. 1930. This 4 7/16 inch long button filling pen was the smallest model, more slender than the Junior. The barrel is stamped GEO. S. PARKER next to PARKER over DUOFOLD next to MADE IN U.S.A. The nib is stamped PARKER over DUOFOLD over PEN over MADE IN over U.S.A. It’s essentially a Lady Duofold with a clip and no ringtop. It sold for $5.00 and the matching pencil was $3.25. Note the discoloration, with some areas browning.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ParkerDuofoldJunioretteJade_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Hi, Folks,

Was having some fun doing profile shots of Duofolds and thought I would put together this image of five pens.

This is a five pen grouping of Parker Duofolds in Mandarin Yellow Permanite: left to right, Canadian Parker Lady Duofold c. 1928-29, Parker Duofold Junior c. 1927, Parker Duofold Senior c. 1928-29, Parker Duofold Junior c. 1928-29, and Parker Duofold Junior Streamline c. 1930-1932.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/DuofoldMandarinsProfile_2048.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Parker Duofold Deluxe Junior in Moderne Black and Pearl Permanite celluloid c. 1928-1929. The Duofold Deluxe was a response to the new Sheaffer black and pearl celluloid, and according to the Parker Duofold book by Shepherd and Zazove, the Moderne Black and Pearl (or Pearl and Ebony) was a different formulation than Sheaffer's, incorporating real pearl essence. This more expensive material pushed Parker to price the pens higher than other Duofolds, so they added an additional cap band and a larger nib stamped DELUXE. This 4 1/2 inch long button filling fountain pen features three cap bands, new for 1928 and the year before the line was streamlined, making this a single year model. The barrel is stamped GEO. S. PARKER next to DUOFOLD next to MADE IN U.S.A. over PATENTED. This example has a firm gold nib stamped PARKER over DUOFOLD over PEN over MADE IN U.S.A. The trim is gold filled. Note the discoloration of the cap and more extensively on the barrel, not unusual on these pens. It sold for $8.50 in 1929 and the matching pencil was $4.00.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ParkerDuofoldDeLuxeJunior_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!

Hi Folks!

This is a Parker Streamline Duofold Deluxe Senior in Moderne Black and Pearl Permanite celluloid c. 1930-1933. Parker streamlined the Duofold line in 1929, tapering the end of the cap and barrel. This 5 1/8 inch long button filling fountain pen features three cap bands. The clip is stamped PARKER. The trim is gold filled. The barrel is stamped GEO. S. PARKER next to PARKER over DUOFOLD next to MADE IN U.S.A. This example has a firm gold nib stamped with the Parker Arrow over PARKER over U.S.A and could be a replacement. Note the discoloration difference between the cap and barrel, not unusual on these pens. It sold for $10.00 in 1930 and the matching pencil was $5.00.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ParkerDuofoldDeLuxeSenior_2048_02.jpg

Thanks!

Hi Folks!

This is a Parker Streamline Duofold Deluxe Juniorette in Moderne Black and Pearl Permanite celluloid c. 1930-1933. Parker streamlined the Duofold line in 1929, tapering the end of the cap and barrel. This 4 7/16 inch long button filling fountain pen features three cap bands. The clip is stamped PARKER. The trim is gold filled. The barrel is stamped GEO. S. PARKER next to PARKER over DUOFOLD next to MADE IN U.S.A. This example has a firm gold nib stamped PARKER over PEN over MADE IN U.S.A. Note the discoloration difference between the cap and barrel, not unusual on these pens.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ParkerDuofoldDeLuxeJuniorette_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!

Yellow on steroids, beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

Hi, Folks,

Was having some fun doing profile shots of Duofolds and thought I would put together this image of five pens.

This is a five pen grouping of Parker Duofolds in Mandarin Yellow Permanite: left to right, Canadian Parker Lady Duofold c. 1928-29, Parker Duofold Junior c. 1927, Parker Duofold Senior c. 1928-29, Parker Duofold Junior c. 1928-29, and Parker Duofold Junior Streamline c. 1930-1932.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/DuofoldMandarinsProfile_2048.jpg

Ah, now I see. Gorgeous. My favorite is the single band flat top.

Those photos are fun but a lot of work. It's actually five separate images.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Parker Duofold Over-size in Black Tipped Lacquer Red hard rubber c. 1927. This 5 1/2 inch long button filling fountain pen was the largest size clip Duofold and sold for $7.00. The matching pencil sold for $4.00. The pen features a single wide gold filled cap band and a gold filled clip stamped PARKER and PAT. SEP. 5-16. The barrel is stamped GEO. S. PARKER over JANESVILLE, WIS. next to DUOFOLD over the Lucky Curve banner next to FOUNTAIN PEN over U.S.A. PAT. 4-25-11. This example has a firm gold nib stamped PARKER over DUOFOLD over MADE IN over U.S.A. over A. The feed is the Lucky Curve type.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ParkerDuofoldSeniorRed_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by PenHero
Corrected date

Hi, Folks!

This is a Parker Duofold Senior in Black Tipped Lacquer Red Permanite celluloid date coded 1937. This 5 1/2 inch long button filling fountain pen was the largest size Duofold and sold for $7.00. The matching pencil sold for $4.00. The pen features a two narrow gold filled cap bands, introduced in 1928, and a gold filled clip stamped PARKER and PAT. SEP. 5-16. The barrel is stamped GEO. S. PARKER next to PARKER over DUOFOLD next to MADE IN U.S.A. next to 7., indicating 3rd quarter 1937. This example has a firm gold nib stamped PARKER over DUOFOLD over PEN over B. This example has the Lucky Curve type feed.

http://penhero.com/Temp/ParkerDuofoldSeniorRed_2048_02.jpg

Thanks!

Hi Folks!

This is a Parker Duofold Over-size or Senior in Black Permanite celluloid c. 1927. This 5 1/2 inch long button filling fountain pen was the largest size Duofold and sold for $7.00. The matching pencil sold for $4.00. The pen features a single wide gold filled cap band and a gold filled clip stamped PARKER and PAT. SEP. 5-16. The barrel is stamped GEO. S. PARKER over JANESVILLE, WIS., next to DUOFOLD over the Lucky Curve banner, next to FOUNTAIN PEN over U.S.A. PAT. 4-25-11. This example has a firm gold nib stamped PARKER over DUOFOLD over PEN over P. Note the trim has a lot of gold fill loss and is very brassed and that the hard rubber cap top and barrel end caps are faded in color compared to the cap and barrel. The cap lip shows a crack, not uncommon on these pens.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ParkerDuofoldSeniorBlack_2048_03.jpg

Thanks!

Hi Folks!

This is a Parker Duofold Junior in Lapis Lazuli Permanite c. 1928-29. According the Shepherd and Zazove Parker Duofold book, the Lapis Lazuli color was created by adding small flecks of dark blue (earlier pens and more rare) or white (later pens) when the blue rod stock was being made. This example has white flecks. This 4 9/16 inch long Junior button filling pen sold for $5.00 in 1929 and the matching pencil was $3.50. The barrel is stamped GEO. S. PARKER over TORONTO -, next to DUOFOLD JR. over the Lucky Curve banner, next to FOUNTAIN PEN over - CANADA. The very firm 14 karat gold nib is stamped PARKER over DUOFOLD over PEN over CANADA and was offered in extra fine, fine, medium, broad, stub and oblique.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ParkerDuofoldJuniorLapis_2048_03.jpg

Thanks!

Hi Folks!

This is a Parker Duofold Junior in Lapis Lazuli Permanite c. 1929. According the Shepherd and Zazove Parker Duofold book, the Lapis Lazuli color was created by adding small flecks of dark blue (earlier pens and more rare) or white (later pens) when the blue rod stock was being made. This example has white flecks. This 4 1/2 inch long button filling pen sold for $5.00 in 1929 and the matching pencil was $3.50. The clip is stamped PAT. SEP. over 5 16 over PARKER. The clip and cap bands are gold filled. The barrel is stamped GEO. S. PARKER next to DUOFOLD over PATENTED next to MADE IN U.S.A. The very firm 14 karat gold nib is stamped with the Parker Arrow over PARKER over USA.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ParkerDuofoldJuniorLapis_2048_04.jpg

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

Loving the thread so far :)

I have a Canadian-made Parker Duofold Jr. Streamline in Jade Green that I adore:

20190719_122357.thumb.jpg.3b877df2eba6f471ebd7c1350ba3c9a2.jpg

I am slowly starting to build a small collection of Canadian-made Duofold Jr. Streamlines. I currently have a Lapis Lazuli on its way to me. Maybe I'll branch out from there once I finish that collection.