A Simple, Affordable Way To Protect Your Pen Or Pencil Tip

The protection of the tip is usually not a concern with rollerballs or ballpoint pens, because they either have caps or retract inside the front end. But with most pencils, there is a fixed lead pipe at the front end that doesn't retract. This can be a vulnerable part of the pencil, because a heavier body will give the pencil more mass that increases the force of being dropped. Many a rOtring 600 pencil has suffered the demise of a bent tip--not because the tip was made out of inferior metals, but that the body is so heavy that the tip can't resist it enough to stay straight. What to do?

Well, one of the cheaper and easier routes to protect some pencils with a narrow enough diameter is to use a cheap ballpoint pen plastic cap. Those will fit drafting mechanical pencils like the rOtring 600.

Another kind of cap protector is the rubber end plugs often used on wire shelving and other purposes, something like this:

Staedtler-Micrograph_cap.jpg

Unfortunately the application is limited because this rubber isn't very forgiving and that means a narrow range of diameters that will be suitable. Too thick and it won't stay attached. Too narrow, and it won't be deep enough to get a grip.

However, I did manage to discover something even more suitable. They are the cable protectors used for bicycles, namely with the brakes. They're seriously cheap, have a tapered tip for natural pen/pencil use, and can be easily trimmed to suit a variety of diameters and lengths.

Pen-Pencil-protector.jpg

You can pick up a pack of ten for about $1. Of course, shipped from China. But a wide range of sellers offer these. I recommend finding one with a feedback rating of 99% or higher.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• dennis_f

• Honeybadgers

• BaronWulfraed

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a brilliant solution! I wish I'd have thought of it before I dropped not one, but two, Rotrings.

You should patent this.

I always just used the foam rubber grips that they sell for pencils slid up over the nib.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Hmmm... I no longer have a pencil with a non-retracting guide.

The old Sheaffer predates thin leads.

The Pentel "Kerry" is double-ended -- it can be capped.

My other pencil, a Pentel "3", actually does have a retracting guide!

The protection of the tip is usually not a concern with rollerballs or ballpoint pens, because they either have caps or retract inside the front end. But with most pencils, there is a fixed lead pipe at the front end that doesn't retract. This can be a vulnerable part of the pencil, because a heavier body will give the pencil more mass that increases the force of being dropped. Many a rOtring 600 pencil has suffered the demise of a bent tip--not because the tip was made out of inferior metals, but that the body is so heavy that the tip can't resist it enough to stay straight. What to do?

Well, one of the cheaper and easier routes to protect some pencils with a narrow enough diameter is to use a cheap ballpoint pen plastic cap. Those will fit drafting mechanical pencils like the rOtring 600.

Another kind of cap protector is the rubber end plugs often used on wire shelving and other purposes, something like this:

Staedtler-Micrograph_cap.jpg

Unfortunately the application is limited because this rubber isn't very forgiving and that means a narrow range of diameters that will be suitable. Too thick and it won't stay attached. Too narrow, and it won't be deep enough to get a grip.

However, I did manage to discover something even more suitable. They are the cable protectors used for bicycles, namely with the brakes. They're seriously cheap, have a tapered tip for natural pen/pencil use, and can be easily trimmed to suit a variety of diameters and lengths.

Pen-Pencil-protector.jpg

You can pick up a pack of ten for about $1. Of course, shipped from China. But a wide range of sellers offer these. I recommend finding one with a feedback rating of 99% or higher.

Great info and advice across the board. One should always deal with 99%+ sellers on eVilbay to be safe, unless feeling frisky.

Great info and advice across the board. One should always deal with 99%+ sellers on eVilbay to be safe, unless feeling frisky.

That's a brilliant solution! I wish I'd have thought of it before I dropped not one, but two, Rotrings.

You should patent this.

Thanks. Heh, I wish I could patent it, but it's too simple for that. ;)

For rOtring 600's, I think it's best to use a plastic cap for the safety that rigid plastic provides. I took one off a soft texture BiC ballpoint that had run dry, snipped the clip piece off, and then just slide it over the end. Works like a charm. But for the other pencils that don't really need rigid plastic, these rubber cable protectors really do the job.

You should patent this.

A concept, new use for something, or just an idea cannot be patented. Finding a use for something already made is not an invention. An invention is something that has not been made before and is not obvious to "...someone skilled in the art...". That is - it is something that is fabricated, formulated, etc.

All in all this is a great idea, glad you passed this on. For many of us, these covers were totally unknown and I can see many uses beyond pens. Thanks so much.

Edited by graystranger

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Thanks. Heh, I wish I could patent it, but it's too simple for that. ;)

For rOtring 600's, I think it's best to use a plastic cap for the safety that rigid plastic provides. I took one off a soft texture BiC ballpoint that had run dry, snipped the clip piece off, and then just slide it over the end. Works like a charm. But for the other pencils that don't really need rigid plastic, these rubber cable protectors really do the job.

Thanks for that idea - my rOtring 600 is now safe and secure thanks to an old BiC RoundStic. See, ballpoint pens ARE good for something after all :D

Thanks for that idea - my rOtring 600 is now safe and secure thanks to an old BiC RoundStic. See, ballpoint pens ARE good for something after all :D

Yes indeed -- you're quite welcome!

By the way...

That pack of 10 covers I got for $1 was just for experimenting, to prove the concept. But I really discourage anyone buying the really cheap ones like this. The rubber truly stinks to high heaven. Just 2 days later, and they still smell about as strong as the first day. I do not recommend using these. However, there are some decent deals out there for higher quality cable boots. Some are seriously expensive (like $9 for just one, by Shimano). I discovered that there's a 10-pack of ones made by Jagwire, a pretty well respected brand for bicycle components, that costs about $7 shipped (in USA).