Good Edc Pen?

simko

If it's reliability you want, go with a TWSBI. I have to warn you that you cannot post any of their pens, and that the piston needs maintenance to be smooth. But they are beautiful, and any bright ink would literally shine in them on a bright day.

A cracking good pen, Gromit! :P

Edited by kd3

Add lightness and simplicate.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SoulSamurai

• displacermoose

• simko

• sandy101

My requirements for an EDC *work* pen (this is different from pens that I carry around when I have spare moments and spare ideas at the same time, which does not happen when I am at work) are 1: a slip cap 2: decent capacity 3: no drying out. Not surprisingly, my Lamy 2000 is my favorite in this category. Sometimes, however, it wants an interesting ink and to write stories rather than client notes. I have a few others to which I turn.

My favorite is a Sheaffer 444. Sheaffer converters hold a lot of ink, and this pen never hesitates to start. It has some mild pitting on the cap so I think I paid $40 for it NOS. Great deal. Honorable mention goes to my Pilot Preras (I have two) and a Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe. Pilot converters are pretty puny, but the carts are nice and Pilot Blue-Black is an excellent work ink; it is completely reliable on horrible paper and it does not call attention to itself (translation: the color is dead boring, but the boss doesn't object). The other Sheaffer was another NOS purchase. I think I paid $30 for it. It was a "second" with a flaw on the clip that took me three days to find. The only reason why this on isn't in the same category as the 444 is that it's a touchdown filler so I can't see how much ink is left in it. It seems to hold quite a bit and I can feel when it is getting low. Again, absolutely reliable. All of these pens are designed to take a beating. The Preras are still in production, so are very easy to replace. The 444 is all metal without being over heavy. The Imperial II Deluxe is plastic with a metal cap. The plastic feels tough and sturdy. It is slightly softer than a Lego (mine has picked up a couple of scratches), but not at all brittle. All of these pens post nicely without becoming back heavy.

If you don't require a slip cap then I would also suggest Kaweco Sports. I love them. I have four. They are fantastic pens for taking on adventures because they are sturdy and (once adjusted) fantastic writers that always start without hesitation. I suspect I could run them over with my car and they would be fine.

Yet another Sarah.

My favorite is a Sheaffer 444.

I basically stopped buying pens after I got my Sheaffer 440. It's pretty much the only pen that I keep inked now. I do find it lighter than I would like though, so I have been eyeing up the 444. I'm just worried that the balance might be a bit tail-heavy for my tastes, since the section is plastic but the body is steel.

I basically stopped buying pens after I got my Sheaffer 440. It's pretty much the only pen that I keep inked now. I do find it lighter than I would like though, so I have been eyeing up the 444. I'm just worried that the balance might be a bit tail-heavy for my tastes, since the section is plastic but the body is steel.

I am very sensitive to back-heavy pens, but it doesn't give me any trouble even when posted. It posts quite deeply so the cap doesn't add much length.

Yet another Sarah.

I am very sensitive to back-heavy pens, but it doesn't give me any trouble even when posted. It posts quite deeply so the cap doesn't add much length.

I am very glad to hear that! Alright, I have a new pen on my shopping list. Thanks.

I am very glad to hear that! Alright, I have a new pen on my shopping list. Thanks.

If you like the 444, you may opt for the 444XG that comes with gold trim and 14k nib.

Khan M. Ilyas

If you like the 444, you may opt for the 444XG that comes with gold trim and 14k nib.

Oh, that's what the XG means? Interesting. As it happens, I do not like gold and I go out of my way to avoid it. Madness, I know. I'm looking at 444s on ebay right now...

I got mine from Peyton Street Pens, but it doesn't look like they have any right now.

Yet another Sarah.

This is easy. Wing Sung 698. I've been carrying one on my belt pouch almost every day for the last year or so. Rock solid dependable pen. Writes nicely. It's cheap so I don't mind if I lose it. And as a vacuum filler it holds quite a lot of ink.

Magnus | Raleigh, NC [uSA] | @Magnus919 | TerraMagnus

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, just got my new 444 today. Bought it second-hand off ebay; it was a decent price on account of having some cosmetic blemishes.

One issue I had with the 440 was that it was "skittish" in my hand; probably due to some combination of the smooth nib, balance, light weight, and my writing mainly with pencils for the last decade I found it took more effort to control than most of my other pens; if I wasn't careful the smooth nib would go skating all over the paper. Kind of like how a Ferrari is harder to control than Corolla? It was worth it though because it was comfortable and I liked the nib; I figured I would adjust over time (which I believe I was in the process of doing).

However, the heavier steel body on this new 444 seems to have reduced the problem. I've only used it briefly, but I didn't feel as if I had to try as hard to keep the nib under control. Also the balance when posted is better than the 440 because the heavier body means the balance doesn't shift as far back when the cap is added.

More testing will be required, but so far it's looking like a worthy upgrade to the 440 despite having a small but noticeable step.

Edited by SoulSamurai

Alright, just got my new 444 today. Bought it second-hand off ebay; it was a decent price on account of having some cosmetic blemishes.

One issue I had with the 440 was that it was "skittish" in my hand; probably due to some combination of the smooth nib, balance, light weight, and my writing mainly with pencils for the last decade I found it took more effort to control than most of my other pens; if I wasn't careful the smooth nib would go skating all over the paper. Kind of like how a Ferrari is harder to control than Corolla? It was worth it though because it was comfortable and I liked the nib; I figured I would adjust over time (which I believe I was in the process of doing).

However, the heavier steel body on this new 444 seems to have reduced the problem. I've only used it briefly, but I didn't feel as if I had to try as hard to keep the nib under control. Also the balance when posted is better than the 440 because the heavier body means the balance doesn't shift as far back when the cap is added.

More testing will be required, but so far it's looking like a worthy upgrade to the 440 despite having a small but noticeable step.

First impressions are always important. I'm glad yours was positive!

Yet another Sarah.