The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Conid(Bock) Titanium Nibs

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 markshan

markshan

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:05

I'm thinking of getting a Conid Kingsize but I've never used a titanium nib before. How does it compare to the Visconti Palladium nibs? Do the tines scissor as described here ()? Is it possible to have it tuned to be a completely smooth nib? I believe Pen Habit and sbrebrown both commented on the feedback of the nib and I'm unsure if it's just the tuning of the nib, or if it's something to do with the material and tipping.

Worst case, I'll get the rhodium gold nibs .-.

Thanks

Sponsored Content

#2 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:19

Wishing you better luck than me!

http://www.fountainp...rind/?p=4033052

"Simplify and add Lightness"

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#3 Kodiac136

Kodiac136

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2018 - 19:56

Bock #8 titanium nibs are not particularly springy (unlike their #6 titanium nibs) and come with a characteristic feedback. Mine feels almost Sailor-like. I enjoy mine a lot but I understand why many people opt for the gold nib on their Kingsize. One day I may well get a gold nib for mine as well, but for now, I am enjoying the titanium.

As for how they compare to Visconti palladium nibs... they are more reliable, have more feedback, and have much less spring to them. I will say that mine came a bit dry for what I like, but it still wrote just fine. I tuned mine up, but I haven't smoothed it at all.

Conid for business, Yard-O-Led for pleasure.

#4 markshan

markshan

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:10

I plan to get the nib ground by a nibmeister. Have you ran into the scissoring issue with the tines at all? That and being able to get rid of the feedback are my only concerns for the titanium nib

#5 mauckcg

mauckcg

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:20

I plan to get the nib ground by a nibmeister. Have you ran into the scissoring issue with the tines at all? That and being able to get rid of the feedback are my only concerns for the titanium nib

Their in house nibmeister is very very good.  I have two titanium nibs tuned by Johan and they are two of my best writers.

#6 markshan

markshan

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:36

Their in house nibmeister is very very good.  I have two titanium nibs tuned by Johan and they are two of my best writers.

Have you encountered the tine scissoring issue from use? How would you describe the writing experience

#7 mauckcg

mauckcg

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:50

Have you encountered the tine scissoring issue from use? How would you describe the writing experience

I have no idea what scissoring means.

The Fine is excellently smooth and the XFine has a little bit of feedback.

#8 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

• Member - Gold

• 909 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:25

''Scissoring", if I understand you correctly, arises from applying too much pressure when trying to make the nib flex, causing the tines to mis-align. The Bock Ti is not marketed as a flex nib. Or even a semi-flex nib. It is a soft nib. Yes one can flex the nib. Gently. Might be best to pay attention to what the nib is telling you, and act accordingly. Feed back is in the nature of the titanium nib. This is my understanding, which may be incorrect.

I do not have the good fortune to own a Conid, but I do have a Bock Ti.

Edited by kd3, 06 April 2018 - 06:26.

#9 markshan

markshan

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:04

(Cant seem to delete this reply I fatfingered)

Edited by markshan, 06 April 2018 - 20:27.

#10 Kodiac136

Kodiac136

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2018 - 16:37

''Scissoring", if I understand you correctly, arises from applying too much pressure when trying to make the nib flex, causing the tines to mis-align. The Bock Ti is not marketed as a flex nib. Or even a semi-flex nib. It is a soft nib. Yes one can flex the nib. Gently. Might be best to pay attention to what the nib is telling you, and act accordingly. Feed back is in the nature of the titanium nib. This is my understanding, which may be incorrect.

I do not have the good fortune to own a Conid, but I do have a Bock Ti.

If this is indeed what is meant by scissoring, no, no I haven't had any such occurence. But then, I don't flex my #8 titanium nib. As I said, it is not flexible. It is not even soft, I would say. The #6 and the #8 Bock titanium nibs are different creatures. The #6 is quite soft (not flexible) but the #8 is very stiff.

Conid for business, Yard-O-Led for pleasure.

#11 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,088 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 16:52

Hmmm, I don't find my #6 Ti nib soft/flexible.  While it's not a nail (which I might prefer), it's definitely not even semi-firm.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#12 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

• Member - Gold

• 909 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 17:56

Bock Ti and steel showing some flex:

http://www.clumsypen...teel-bock-nibs/

#13 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,088 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 18:49

That link shows that the Ti maybe just a bit flexier than the Bock steel nib...which isn't very flexy to me.  Softness/flexiness is subjective. 

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#14 markshan

markshan

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2018 - 20:29

Is the titanium feedback removeable, by a nibmeister? Or is it some inherent property of the tipping they use?

#15 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

• Member - Gold

• 909 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 21:20

It's because Titanium :) Find an old fashioned wooden pencil. HB maybe. Write for a while; couple of pages. Similar tactility. You could even come to like it. I do. So much so that I'll probably get another at some point. YMMV.

Having a Ti nib and not wanting feedback is kinda like living in Toronto and wanting to go to Muskoka, but not wanting to drive north. Just my view. Having said that, there my very well be a nib magician who can make it glass like.

Good luck!

#16 oldrifleman

oldrifleman

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2018 - 17:54

I have 4 of the titanium nibs installed right now. I find that they are slight springy and they do come with a bit of feedback, which I like. They are my favorite nibs!

#17 alanshutko

alanshutko

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:16

I just got my first Kingsize and my first Ti nibs. I bought an EF, a M ground to stub, and a B ground to stub. I'm reserving judgment on the stubs right now: these are my first stubs, and I need to get the hang of stubs before judging the nibs.

As for my EF, it's remarkably wet with Akkerman #8 Diepduinwaterblauw. I suspect that the Ti material has a lot to do with it.  It has line variation and is easy to widen the line with a bit of pressure. I don't try to flex it, just pressure of normal writing.  It has a very nice line, and starts off just right each time. It might dry out if not writing and uncapped a little bit faster than some other pens, but it restarts pretty quickly.  

I agree with the feedback comments above. It's not writing on glass smooth.  It's closer to a pencil, as kd3 mentioned.  It's not objectionable.  FWIW, all the EF nibs I've tried have some amount of feedback, simply because the nibs have so much less on paper.  

I am a little amused at the amount of nib creep with this pen and ink.  The titanium matte finish is probably the cause of this. I do not find this objectionable.  

IMG_2730.jpg

#18 SpecTP

SpecTP

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2018 - 22:17

I loved my Ti nib on my kingsize bulkfiller.. until I damaged it. I've been getting used to a gold replacement.. but it's been a work in progress. The gold one is much more flexible and my heavy hand does not do it justice.

#19 Mew

Mew

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,063 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:55

It's because Titanium :) Find an old fashioned wooden pencil. HB maybe. Write for a while; couple of pages. Similar tactility. You could even come to like it. I do. So much so that I'll probably get another at some point. YMMV.

Having a Ti nib and not wanting feedback is kinda like living in Toronto and wanting to go to Muskoka, but not wanting to drive north. Just my view. Having said that, there my very well be a nib magician who can make it glass like.

Good luck!

Hi,

I bought a Conid Kingsize with Ti nib and requested that all feedback be removed, if not entirely then as much as possible. The nib I got was very good, with no feedback that I could feel.
Though I don't have the pen or nib anymore (as I sold it), it was a nice experience, using something other than a gold nib.

#20 markshan

markshan

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:16

Hi,

I bought a Conid Kingsize with Ti nib and requested that all feedback be removed, if not entirely then as much as possible. The nib I got was very good, with no feedback that I could feel.
Though I don't have the pen or nib anymore (as I sold it), it was a nice experience, using something other than a gold nib.

I plan to get custom grinds on the nibs, be it titanium or gold, so being able to get rid of feedback is good to hear. What nib size was it?

Sponsored Content

|