Conid - Burping With And Without The Caiso?

Inkling13

I was wondering what Conid owners have experienced with burping. I understand that the Bulkfiller increases the inc capacity towards the realm of eye droppers and thus can't escape the burping phenomenona. I also understand that the non-CAISO versions essentially have two ink compartments, a smaller working compartment, and a larger storage compartment. Has anyone had one of these non-CAISO versions burp on them when the main compartment is open?

From what I understand, the CAISO versions only have one ink chamber once the cap is removed. Has anyone had burping issues with CAISO models?

I appreciate all your input.

-R

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VRI39C

• Lloyd

• hari317

• sketchstack

Even though there's only one ink chamber, I believe that chamber is still regulated by the blind cap, i.e., you need to open the blind cap every so often for ink to move from the primary chamber into the section. The CAISO mechanism essentially accomplishes the function of the blind cap, opening and closing the valve into the main chamber, through capping the pen. Any time the pen is uncapped the valve to the main chamber is open, thus, I could actually see a CAISO being more at risk of burping than the standard Conid.

Personally, I never experienced burping on a Conid but haven't used a CAISO.

I do not have a Conid but do use eyedropper fillers. With my eyedroppers I hold the pen nib up and warm the barrel with my hand before starting writing. The reason for the burping is the air expands from your hand warming the air in the ink chamber (the barrel with my old eyedroppers) and with the air expanding ink is forced out of the pen (burping). Try pre-warming the barrel of your Conid before you start writing and see if that helps.

I have a regular, which does not have a CAISO option, and it burped twice on me because I did not have the nib unit screwed in tightly. Once I tightened the nib unit there has been no more burping in almost a year. I use this pen almost exclusively and it has been through about 12 full fills.

I have the kingsize monarch bulkfiller, which is a non-CAISO pen. It has been through 5 fills since I bought it in September and I haven't experienced any burping.

I even carried it in flights with blind cap open and there was no burping, but I was stopped at the security check since the scanner picked up the metal in the pen. :P

Minimalistica. No burps from the pen, only me.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I have 4 Conids(1 kingsize, non-Casio and 3 Regulars) and I have not had an instance of burping from the pen. Like Lloyd, they do better than me.

I'll weigh in as a user of several Conid, including a CAISO.

Zero burps.

In fact I was skeptical of the CAISO and it turns out it's one of my favorite writers. Perfectly wet from the moment I uncap to the moment I'm done writing.

I suppose that if you use a carbonated ink, it might burp.

Oscar Wilde

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a Regular since June of last year when it became my usual writer. No burps, but my drill is to tap some ink into the chamber and close the chamber by tightening the blind cap. Else it writes too wet for me. Are others here leaving the blind cap valve in the open position?

Doug

I keep it open for writing sessions and all day at work.

Oscar Wilde

I like wet writers. My kingsize is quite wet, but I wouldn't mind a gusher. I write really fast so a gusher would be able to keep up with the speed while leaving a decently dark line on the page.

Four CONID pens; one FPN Blue Pearl, one Kingsize CAISO, one Regular, one Slimline.

No burping whatsoever. I have had some leakage into the cap with the CAISO, but I discovered it's because the feed holds a ton of ink, and it can splash into the cap when closed and in transit. I just make a point of letting as much ink as possible drain back into the barrel before capping and going on my way. Since then, no problems.

• 4 weeks later...

Kingsize Caiso and a regular one. Never experienced any burping.

There are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

I have asked this question of Francis and was told that there was no prospect of burping, leaking or other misbehaving acts.

As he is a man of utmost integrity I would treat that as an undeniable truth.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Minimalisitca that writes flawlessly, however, I also have a CAISO Kingsize FPR 16/60 that burps ink consistently. In fact it burps up so often that I have stopped using the pen. It appears that the feed becomes so saturated with ink that it just spits it off the end of the feed. I have taken it apart thinking that perhaps there was a leak or a crack somewhere, but I found nothing. The best that I can tell is that when the cap is off and I am writing, the free flow of ink simply overwhelms the feed and it just drips on to the page. Such a shame as I really love this pen. It is the perfect pen, but because of the burping, I don't use it anymore.

I have a Minimalisitca that writes flawlessly, however, I also have a CAISO Kingsize FPR 16/60 that burps ink consistently. In fact it burps up so often that I have stopped using the pen. It appears that the feed becomes so saturated with ink that it just spits it off the end of the feed. I have taken it apart thinking that perhaps there was a leak or a crack somewhere, but I found nothing. The best that I can tell is that when the cap is off and I am writing, the free flow of ink simply overwhelms the feed and it just drips on to the page. Such a shame as I really love this pen. It is the perfect pen, but because of the burping, I don't use it anymore.

Have you contacted CONID or Francis in the forums? I've read of them working with owners to fix their pens.

Oscar Wilde