[Lamy Safari] Un-Noticeable Line Variation After 4 Months Use.

LorDAsBaat

So, before buying a lamy safari, I asked the fpn community how long the nib would last, ref: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/324162-how-long-will-lamy-safari-italic-nib-last/

Everyone said it would last a couple of years at the very least.

So I bought one 4 months ago, I loved it. But something that I feared happened again; the line variation is barely noticeable and the pen really looks like an ordinary round nibbed pen. I have attached a picture.

So, should I get a replacement nib or get it re-grinded?

post-129945-0-20944100-1511378705_thumb.jpg

Edited by LorDAsBaat

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• jekostas

• LizEF

• minddance

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These nibs are relatively cheap. If you want to learn how to sharpen the edges of such nibs then this is a good nib to learn on. I think some 12000 grit micromesh will suffice. Why toss the nib - give it a shot and then buy another one if it doesnt work out

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

It just looks like it is a little wetter then before. I don't think in any way its worn out. I think it's just flowing like it should now. Maybe you should switch to a drier ink.

There doesn't look that much difference to me. Surely it's just a nib that has worn in to your own handwriting?

If you know longer like it as it is either adjust it yourself as suggested, or buy another. These are cheap steel nibs and they are very available. :)

It just looks like it is a little wetter then before. I don't think in any way its worn out. I think it's just flowing like it should now. Maybe you should switch to a drier ink.

I agree with Driften. It seems to me that the ink flow is "wetter" now so the line looks "fatter". But I still see a lot of line variation.

To my eye it appears to be fatter, in it is a nail, that means you are really, really pressing too hard.

Nails are too stiff to give 'line variation'. I would guess you have a stub nib which does....I have a 1.5 in my Joy. I gave my Safari round tip M away to get someone hooked into fountain pens.........then she moved, so I don't know if she's gotten more pens or not.

What width is your stub?

and as said, Lamy nibs are cheap, @$7-8.00, and easy to remove and replace.

You should hold a fountain pen like a baby featherless bird.

You are I think, making baby bird paste.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hmm, well I gave the pen to a pen meister (if thats what its called), I asked him to sharpen the edge to make it thinner again. BTW I don't press on the nib, I write with shoulder movement and hardly put any pressure on the pen, the only weight on the pen is of my hand.

PS: I learnt the shoulder movement from this website: http://www.paperpenalia.com/handwriting.html

Edited by LorDAsBaat

I think this may be because the Lamy nibs are untipped steel. You may consider discussing with a nib meister about having an iridium tipped pen custom ground into a cursive italic- it should last longer (if the nib meister is good and there is enough iridium left over.)

If untipped, then a knife sharpening stone will sharpen it up....go real easy, test every stroke.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I see line variation. Am I the only one?

Definitely not. Plenty of line variation. I also tend to think the nib is simply wetter now. If the steel is actually worn down (seems hard to believe), then the end of the nib would be wider (since the nib is basically a V shape). All the sharpening in the world won't change that - but it could make the narrow lines narrower. To get the wide lines narrower would require narrowing the nib.

That said, I agree - if it really is worn down, the solution is to get something with tipping instead.

Unsure what you see as a problem?

You understand this steel nib is not supposed to flex? Previously stated always using a light touch, so unless writing on a rough surface that reduces steel, or sharpening the nib reducing steel, this nib should last similarly to my own Lamy italics in daily use.

Perhaps when fatigued you're holding the pen at a different angle, Or, the paper is inconsistent across the page rendering a different line? (ink absorption).

Upper and lower lines are definitly written at different angles.

Good point. Holding the pen at a shallower angle would do that.

Esterbrook bent over steel nibs 2xxx, were good at 8 hours a day, for up to 1 1/2 years. Which was why they were so cheap.

The 1xxx nibs were cheaper steel, so were replaced by the longer lasting 2xxx.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

I'm confused, how did you know to write "Previous Line Variation" on a piece of paper to compare to current?

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

It looks to me as if the ink flow has increased, not the nib wearing down. Either diluted slightly our the nib has been adjusted, either by pressure from writing or on purpose.

Peace and Understanding