The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

[Lamy Safari] Un-Noticeable Line Variation After 4 Months Use.

24 replies to this topic

#1 LorDAsBaat

LorDAsBaat

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 19:25

So, before buying a lamy safari, I asked the fpn community how long the nib would last, ref: http://www.fountainp...talic-nib-last/

Everyone said it would last a couple of years at the very least.

So I bought one 4 months ago, I loved it. But something that I feared happened again; the line variation is barely noticeable and the pen really looks like an ordinary round nibbed pen. I have attached a picture.

So, should I get a replacement nib or get it re-grinded?

Attached Images

• image.jpg

Edited by LorDAsBaat, 22 November 2017 - 19:26.

Sponsored Content

#2 Astron

Astron

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 20:46

The nib has now adjusted to your handwriting. It is your nib now.

❦ You do not need glasses if you can't read this. Seriously. Who could read this?

#3 siamackz

siamackz

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 00:58

These nibs are relatively cheap. If you want to learn how to sharpen the edges of such nibs then this is a good nib to learn on. I think some 12000 grit micromesh will suffice. Why toss the nib - give it a shot and then buy another one if it doesnt work out

#4 Driften

Driften

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:35

It just looks like it is a little wetter then before. I don't think in any way its worn out. I think it's just flowing like it should now. Maybe you should switch to a drier ink.

#5 jekostas

jekostas

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:39

Umm, there still seems to be plenty of line variation?

#6 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:17

There doesn't look that much difference to me. Surely it's just a nib that has worn in to your own handwriting?

If you know longer like it as it is either adjust it yourself as suggested, or buy another. These are cheap steel nibs and they are very available.  :)

flying-letter-exc.png

#7 Dr_P

Dr_P

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:32

It just looks like it is a little wetter then before. I don't think in any way its worn out. I think it's just flowing like it should now. Maybe you should switch to a drier ink.

I agree with Driften. It seems to me that the ink flow is "wetter" now so the line looks "fatter". But I still see a lot of line variation.

#8 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 17,896 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:51

To my eye it appears to be fatter, in it is a nail, that means you are really, really pressing too hard.

Nails are too stiff to give 'line variation'. I would guess you have a stub nib which does....I have a 1.5 in my Joy. I gave my Safari round tip M away to get someone hooked into fountain pens.........then she moved, so I don't know if she's gotten more pens or not.

What width is your stub?

and as said, Lamy nibs are cheap, @$7-8.00, and easy to remove and replace.

You should hold a fountain pen like a baby featherless bird.

You are I think, making baby bird paste.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 23 November 2017 - 10:55.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#9 LorDAsBaat

LorDAsBaat

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2017 - 15:37

Hmm, well I gave the pen to a pen meister (if thats what its called), I asked him to sharpen the edge to make it thinner again. BTW I don't press on the nib, I write with shoulder movement and hardly put any pressure on the pen, the only weight on the pen is of my hand. 

PS: I learnt the shoulder movement from this website: http://www.paperpena...andwriting.html

Edited by LorDAsBaat, 25 November 2017 - 15:39.

#10 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2017 - 17:18

I think this may be because the Lamy nibs are untipped steel. You may consider discussing with a nib meister about having an iridium tipped pen custom ground into a cursive italic- it should last longer (if the nib meister is good and there is enough iridium left over.)

#11 minddance

minddance

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 17:49

I see line variation. Am I the only one?

#12 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 17,896 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 17:50

If untipped, then a knife sharpening stone will sharpen it up....go real easy, test every stroke.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#13 jekostas

jekostas

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 18:08

You aren't the only one.

#14 LizEF

LizEF

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2017 - 18:54

Definitely not.  Plenty of line variation.  I also tend to think the nib is simply wetter now.  If the steel is actually worn down (seems hard to believe), then the end of the nib would be wider (since the nib is basically a V shape).  All the sharpening in the world won't change that - but it could make the narrow lines narrower.  To get the wide lines narrower would require narrowing the nib.

That said, I agree - if it really is worn down, the solution is to get something with tipping instead.

#15 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 20:34

Unsure what you see as a problem?

You understand this steel nib is not supposed to flex?  Previously stated always using a light touch, so unless writing on a rough surface that reduces steel, or sharpening the nib reducing steel, this nib should last similarly to my own Lamy italics in daily use. 

Perhaps when fatigued you're holding the pen at a different angle, Or, the paper is inconsistent across the page rendering a different line? (ink absorption). 

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#16 Astron

Astron

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2017 - 21:49

Upper and lower lines are definitly written at different angles.

❦ You do not need glasses if you can't read this. Seriously. Who could read this?

#17 LizEF

LizEF

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2017 - 22:13

Upper and lower lines are definitly written at different angles.

Good point.  Holding the pen at a shallower angle would do that.

#18 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 17,896 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:52

Esterbrook bent over steel nibs 2xxx, were good at 8 hours a day, for up  to 1 1/2 years. Which was why they were so cheap.

The 1xxx nibs were cheaper steel, so were replaced by the longer lasting 2xxx.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 26 November 2017 - 10:52.

#19 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 16:13

I'm confused, how did you know to write "Previous Line Variation" on a piece of paper to compare to current?

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#20 Fuzzy_Bear

Fuzzy_Bear

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 827 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:06

It looks to me as if the ink flow has increased, not the nib wearing down. Either diluted slightly our the nib has been adjusted, either by pressure from writing or on purpose.
The glory of the young is their strength; the gray hair of experience is the splendor of the old.

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|