The Parker 25 - Icon Of The Future Or Poorly Designed Marketing Ploy?

P25B

Hi,

I know that future icons are never a sure thing, but I think the Parker 25 is one.

That's only my opinion though...

The Parker 25 -

• Designed and produced in the late 70's until around the late 90's
  • Simple aesthetics
  • Manufactured for 18-30 year olds (so, often used in schools by 13-17 year olds. Why? Because they were cool!)
  • Made to be durable
  • Various colours available
  • Available as a Fountain pen, Ballpoint, Fibre Tip, Rollerball and Pencil.

I have a small collection (as I'm pretty new to this and to forums, as you can see from my image... (sorry)), but am finding out more and more on the Parker 25. Mainly and with thanks to More Engineering website. It is well worth a visit if you want any further information on these lovely objects.

My thoughts are that, just as the Parker 51 was a writing instrument of it's time (and there is no argument from me on the quality of this design and the usability of the pen), the Parker 25 is also ready to take this mantle for the reason that there was very little in this price range with so much style, so different to the products on offer by other manufacturers. It seemed Parker were trying to introduce something with a little... panache, something to entice the generation who, by now, were so used to ballpoints, that fountain pens were only something used by their parents, or possibly worse, their grand parents!! Horrifying I know... (I'm not far off that age now!)

So, let me have your thoughts on the question below:

The Parker 25 - Icon of the future or poorly designed marketing ploy?

Image below is of my small collection of Parker 25's (annoyingly, some of the pens rolled over and are showing the sides, there are a couple of the 'breather hole' nibbed Mk1's (possibly Mk0.5) and mainly the 'no breather' nibbed Mk3's.

At the end of the day, I like them and will continue to collect as many of the variations as my wallet (and wife..) will let me.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

post-138682-0-74117500-1511026391_thumb.jpg

Edited by P25B

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• P25B

• ParkerDuofold

• PaulS

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like 25's and have a dozen or two.

That said, they are "of an era", and in many peoples minds probably share a place with Pong, the Mustang II, Skylab, the pocket fisherman, and avacado green, all of which should stay firmly in the '70's...

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

If you go to http://parkercollector.com you will find a history of the development of the Parker 25. This pen was designed and manufactured in Parker's Newhaven UK plant. It was aimed toward a certain age group. I'm not sure whether this model ever reached the USA. Other members may have researched more thoroughly than I have done.

You are right, the Parker 51 was a design of its time and endured for a long period. It does have mixed opinions with FPN members, however, we need to place it within that era given the huge volume sold. I can certainly testify to the durability of Parker pens having used them before the advent of the ballpoint.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

I have a couple of fountain pens, the ball pen, roller ball, and pencil. Possible the felt tip as well. Plus a spare mk1 nib from a nib section I accidentally trashed. I have a strong soft spot for them as they were my school pens - got my first one when I was 11/12 back in 79/80. Was still using one in my daily collection until recently - found I was getting a little ink leak around the edge of the rear of the nib from both. The one down side though - they feel like nails, especially compared to modern pens.

I'm definitely in the pro 25 camp. I like the design a lot (first Parker that didn't set out to look sort of like an older model since the 45?) I don't expect flex from a modern pen (insert dig at Noodlers here) even if modern was thirty or forty years back (and that's part of the appeal, frankly: they still had modernity as a thing in design rather than pastiche and retro). Hell, I won't even diss them for the felt tip thing as I think it's a real shame that posh felt tips were killed off by the rollerball.

It looks great, it writes well, it's comfortable in the hand and short of bending the nib, it's pretty solid for a fountain pen as well. What's not to like?

I understand the 25's status as a design icon, but I loathed the wretched thing when I was at school and yes, it belongs with Space Hoppers and Choppers and avocado bathroom suites as far as I'm concerned. On the other hand the Parker 51... my Latin teacher had a gold plated 51 and I coveted it madly. Also the red ink he used in it, and of which far too much ended up correcting my exercises...

I also don't really like the nib that much. Mine always seemed to hard start and it wrote way too dry, as well. I don't know how other people rate the nib?

Still, it's impressive to see a collection of the different variations. I had no idea there were so many!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Hi,

I support the Newhaven P25, and have more than a few in my array.

At various times I've mentioned that It is so ugly that it is cute; and that alone is an anti-theft feature.

The retail cost has risen steeply, which leads me to believe the P25 is now a collectable / cult object, yet I see it as a candidate for an every day / casual carry. In my hand the section is a bit too slender, so not a long haul writer.

The conical nib does a lot to prevent dry-out; and is a austere comfy nail, on par with the Esterbrook manifold nibs.

Oddly my favoured nib is the EF, rather than a plump M. Thanks to the nice people at Battersea for sourcing the EF.

Every time I load a P25 I ask 'Where have you been hiding?' No reply.

(Perhaps they play volleyball when I'm not around.)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

pre-owned 25s have been disproportionately priced for some time now - ebay prices way out of line for what the pen represents in terms of value for money - my take on this is that it's due to the combination of memorable design shape and initial low cost when new. Not easy to define why some common everyday utility things go viral and acquire status - is the 25 on a par with a Warhol silkscreen of soup cans perhaps - both represent speculative and questionable fashion rather than staid sensible quality, but both in their way bring home the bacon.

Nice collection P25B - I see you still need the white example, which I bought for £5 at a boot sale - but then I've yet to find a green one. My most recent example earlier this week sported a truly broad nib - the first such nib width I've found.

The 45 looks safe, is made to appeal to more sensible writers and doesn't raise eyebrows, but lacks the kitsch appearance of the 25 - but then kitsch can sometimes turn out to be the gold mine. Presumably there's shed loads of 25s around, so don't see them being on the rare list for some time. :)

Edited by PaulS

Not really a fan of the design. I've been on the verge of buying one a few times "just to have one" but I'm trying to avoid buying pens just to "have one", especially if I'm pretty sure I'd never use it.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I was 18 in 1976, so would have been in the target demographic (or close enough) at the time it was released. I personally, don't really care for the design now and doubt I would have then. I much prefer the style of the 45, even though that design was 15 years old by then. It didn't look it in my opinion. You can certainly say the design of the 25 is unique, much like the original Urban. I didn't care for that one either. There is something about a 45 that says "sexy" to me - especially when posted. I wouldn't necessarily call the design of the 51 sexy like I would the 45, but I would call it a classic.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

The P25 was my first real fp when I went to high school in the early 80's. Back then it was the coolest pen around and I wrote with it for many years. It's rugged and can take a beating, like a Willy's Jeep. The space age flat top still looks appealing to me and every once in a while I ink it up. Prices are indeed going steep, I've seen P25's for around €100 which is a lot considering the original price tag.

I have a few including a mint set fp/bp in black. Definitely a classic!

regards,

Hugo

Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek a foe.

Eadem Mutata Resurgo.

Hi all,

I've never used a 25... never knew they existed until this post,... but I like the look.

It takes me back to a time when trade-names ended with "tron" or "matic"; silver was replacing black on dashboard dials and gauges... buttons were replacing knobs... straight lines/geometric shapes were everywhere... and "P.C." still meant Penn Central... the largest single corporate failure in world history and a subject of study in every business school. :cloud9:

- Anthony

P.S.: I might have to buy one of those 25's... it'll be a nice complement to the Shaeffer Targa. :)

EDITED to correct typo.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Yes, they were here in the US in 1979 or so.

I had 2 sets: matte black and stainless FP/BP, both with black trim.

Only fountain pens to be found, and that was in a catalog/discount store.

gary

The P25 did not ever inspire me but have picked up a few (one among them NOS) for the sake of collection. Design-wise they are unique in the low end Parker pen family.

Khan M. Ilyas

Design-wise they are unique in the low end Parker pen family.

For which uniqueness I thank God. IMO the high-end Parker family isn't full of 25 look-alikes, either.

I suppose it's the fault of Newhaven for being economical with the production costs of this pen, but all my examples lack any sort of nib designation - even the humble Vector tells you whether you have a Medium or whatever.

Not so sure I see the connection Anthony between the Targa and the 25 - aside from bling I suppose there's little to choose between the writing abilities of many modern cart. pens - it's likely to be rarity value and mechanical function that makes older pens memorable - plus simply the fact that they are now old - like us. :)

I vote icon and (spiritual at least) precursor of the Montblanc M and Lamy Aion. Both Marc Newson and Jasper Morrison are the right age to have used one at school ...

...Not so sure I see the connection Anthony between the Targa and the 25...

Hi Paul, et al,

Design.

The P25 was released in 1975 and the Targa was released the following year. (Btw, the Targa takes its name from an open road endurance race that used to be held in my native homeland of Sicily. Translated, Targa means license plate or number plate :)).

At any rate, I digress; both pens rather unapologetically say "Hello, I'm from the '70s/'80s." Whereas, many other modern designs such as the L2K or even the new Aion, are much harder to pinpoint to a specific era... looking more universally post-war modern... and that's what I meant about their similarities. ;)

- Anthony

Hi Paul, et al,

Design.

The P25 was released in 1975 and the Targa was released the following year. (Btw, the Targa takes its name from an open road endurance race that used to be held in my native homeland of Sicily. Translated, Targa means license plate or number plate :)).

At any rate, I digress; both pens rather unapologetically say "Hello, I'm from the '70s/'80s." Whereas, many other modern designs such as the L2K or even the new Aion, are much harder to pinpoint to a specific era... looking more universally post-war modern... and that's what I meant about their similarities. ;)

- Anthony

Great. True to your MISSION, you always preach for the L2k et al. :)

Keep it up.

Did you ever use a P51? :) :)

Khan M. Ilyas