Dallas Pen Show 2017

Fuzzy_Bear

As usual, the lovely Taccia pen representative was at Larry's table, and I ended up with her Autumn's Leaves Special Edition pen that had been preying upon my mind since last year's show. It was good to see Bryant Greer of Chatterley Luxuries back this year, but sad that Susan Wirth and Richard Halper are no longer with us. Also sad, and infuriating, were multiple reports of pens stolen from vendors. I always thought pen people were more honest than that.

It was a delight to see so many friends from all over the country.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KKay

• Fuzzy_Bear

• deacondavid

• Cyber6

As usual, the lovely Taccia pen representative was at Larry's table, and I ended up with her Autumn's Leaves Special Edition pen that had been preying upon my mind since last year's show.

Also sad, and infuriating, were multiple reports of pens stolen from vendors. I always thought pen people were more honest than that.

The Taccia you purchased was very nice. I came very close to picking up one of the new Spectrum models (now that they can be purchased with an extra-fine nib), but I decided to wait until the gold nib is available (she thought that they would be available in a few more weeks).

I also heard about thefts happening at multiple tables. I was deeply saddened by the news. The margins that vendors make is not huge and items lost just makes it that much smaller and makes coming to our show a less attractive venture. I want the pen show to have a future in Dallas, so I can only hope that the thefts stop and the thief (or thieves) gets (or get) caught.

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

You mean they had a new ink this year? A friend of mine told me they didn't!!!!! UGH. Great picture of you by the way, with Pakman!

They did have a new ink. I think starting last year you have to ask about them. I think the person manning the table last year mentioned they'd been giving them away to everyone (even to ppl who didn't want it because freebie) and those who really wanted it weren't able to get a bottle. However they weren't advertising the ink.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Yes, last year I had to ask as I didn't see any out on the tables. When I asked my friend about it this year (he and his wife loved USS Texas), he said the woman told him they didn't have it. So he figured the bottles were in a flooded store. Now I know the store didn't flood, from another post. He also told me before he went, that if he liked the ink, he would buy a bottle if they had any for sale at that time. I got his wife into getting more inks. He used to only ink one or two pens up at a time. Now he has several inked up at once. :) So now he also likes different colors, but not as much as his wife. I am friends with both of them of course. We have the same hobbies, and enable each other unmercifully...lol. I don't understand why the lady would say they didn't have it. His boss also went to the pen show. He bought a Montegrappa pen there. I need to ask my friend if his boss got a bottle of the new Dromgoole's color.

Thanks to the organizers of the Dallas Pen Show for a spectacular show this year. The repairing and selling was brisk and I was thankful to get to stay until closing this year. Thanks again to Pakman for manning the table and handling the sales. Thanks to all the folks who stopped by to say; "Hi."

Regards,

danny

writepenbanner.gif.3b32962e78b1a1ac0464819a5bdfe0b8.gif

Deacondavid sent me that Chisholm Trail sample. I loaded it up this evening in a Noodler's-Konrad. I must say I like this one a lot. I have liked all the Dromgoole's inks made by Noodler's so far! (that I've tried) This brown looks really good with the Konrad pen. I haven't been able to put it through its paces yet. But I have written with it a little bit. I wrote a little on a few different papers. I was impressed. After checking it out for a while, this one just may be going on my ever growing wish list! Thank you deacondavid!

Had a wonderful time at the show with Danny and getting to see all of my pen friends from around the world! Did manage to snag the free Dromgools ink but haven't tried it yet. Thanks Fuzzy for the picture!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

In my past experiences with the Dallas Show Ink exclusives, they do run out and often quite quickly! Depending on when your friend inquired about the ink, they may have been out. That group is especially helpful and wouldn't intentionally mislead you about the free ink, IMHO. I do know that Friday was a very busy day (a crowd waiting for the doors to open) and I'm sure plenty of the ink went out the door that day. :) No clue how much they get for the show. It was a crazy busy weekend!

I do agree it is a nice ink!

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

That may explain it then. I think he went on Saturday, in fact I'm almost sure of it. Last year we went on Saturday, and I asked for it since I didn't see it out. This was the USS Texas. I loved it and got a bigger bottle. I already had Blue Steel.

My friend said he was there very early on that morning. (I believe Sat) So if it went out on Friday, that would explain it then. We know of one other person that might've gotten a free ink. He is out of pocket, but I'm getting my friend to ask. I know that guy was there Friday and Saturday. I have a large enough sample to test this in a couple more pens anyway. So it isn't a big deal now. I just wanted to TRY it. Deacondavid fixed me up. I'm going to write with it again in a few minutes. If it behaves and looks as good as in the pen it is in now, this will be going on my wish list. Did I mention it looked good in my Konrad? :D

In my past experiences with the Dallas Show Ink exclusives, they do run out and often quite quickly! Depending on when your friend inquired about the ink, they may have been out. That group is especially helpful and wouldn't intentionally mislead you about the free ink, IMHO. I do know that Friday was a very busy day (a crowd waiting for the doors to open) and I'm sure plenty of the ink went out the door that day. :) No clue how much they get for the show. It was a crazy busy weekend!

I do agree it is a nice ink!

Edited by KKay

Had a wonderful time at the show with Danny and getting to see all of my pen friends from around the world! Did manage to snag the free Dromgools ink but haven't tried it yet. Thanks Fuzzy for the picture!

It's better looking in person! Just like US!

Peace and Understanding

Will Dromgoole's make Chisholm Trail available in a regular size bottle for purchase?

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I don't know Jim. I hope they do. I wrote with it again today, and I like it a lot. I heard it is waterproof, and that makes it even better to me. I haven't tested that yet though. I've been too busy around here for the time being.

• 3 weeks later...

Will Dromgoole's make Chisholm Trail available in a regular size bottle for purchase?

It asked, it shall be! I have three of their exclusive inks, and I'm hoping more writing samples pop up for the newest one.

I was in Dromgoole's last weekend and they had Chisholm Trail in the regular-sized bottles. Also, if anyone is looking for North Star Liberator (a blue ink Nathan did for the Commonwealth Pen Show in 2016), Dromgoole's had a good number of bottles of that in stock, too...

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.