The D.c. Pen Show...

Toll

...did not suffer from being in a new venue. The Show floor was totally packed during the 3.5 hours I was there. I heard some vendors complaining about the new space and others totally fine with it. It seemed like the normal cast of characters was present. I did not buy anything -- I was hoping to buy the new Aurora Minerali only to find that none of the vendors had it on hand. The folks from Kenro told me the shipment of pens into the US had been held up at Customs and, therefore, pens had not been yet distributed to retailers. But, it appears that will happen as soon as next week. I did see a prototype at the Kenro booth and I was won over. So, lots of vendors, lots of people, plenty of parking with a parking garage next door (at no cost), easy access off 495, and pens, inks, paper, and leather products galore. All good.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• TheRealMikeDr

• sherbie

• eharriett

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about the show. I am also glad to hear the site did not deter your enjoyment of same, despite other's opinions. I am sure we will all hear about what was different, not as good, but the important thing is the show happened, you & I am sure others, enjoyed it. I cannot imagine what is involved to organise & see a show to completion, not to mention managing it while underway. I suspect it would be difficult to balance the Dealers needs/interests & yet provide an experience that is pleasing to the guests.

I hope your pen is soon available to you & it will be everything you hope for!

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

I was there today. Seemed well attended. Definitely problems the day before but most vendors seemed to agree that the volume of customers more than made up for the issues. Some nice Pelikan pens on display which was my primary interest. I could only stay for 4 hours but was able to score a Pelikan 400NN Black Stripe, a Col-O-Ring Ink Swatch Book, and had 4 nibs worked on by Dan Smith. Was a good show for me. Can't wait till next year.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I attended today. Got there at 1000. Very good attendance. All the nib meisters were already booked up for the day by then. Still, I managed to buy two new pens from Franklin Christoph, including a really amazing franken-pen from an 18k gold Shaeffer inlaid nib and cap coupled with an FC turned acrylic body. Fantastic pen! Also got a very nice pocket Model 45 with Masuyama fine italic nib. My wife found a nice Visconti Van Gogh for her collection.

All in all, it was a good show, but the venue is much more cramped than the old location at Tyson's Corner Sheraton. Parking was free! So that was a good deal.

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Edison Brockton w/EF 14K gold nib and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Visconti Pinanfarina w/EF chromium conical nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Pilot Blue Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Edison Brockton EF and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

Agree with the comments - i stayed for 6 hrs on saturday morning. Huge numbers of shoppers and sellers, and agree space in the walkways and between rows of sellers was tight in lots of places. Still managed to snag a good few pens. The Marriott hotel didnt exactly cover itself in glory however - had to wait a good 20 mins or so just to get a coffee, and they wanted to charge $2.50 for a snickers bar!!!!

post-25072-0-76085400-1502057976.jpg

I was there from 9 to 5 on Saturday - my thoughts - keeping in mind it was my first DC show and the only other show I can compare it to was the Ohio show last fall.

1) There were a TON of people there - for the better part of the day. I felt like the crowd got maybe 25% smaller by around 4:00 - but it was still busy.

2) The first ballroom, the smaller one - had a horrible entrance-way. There was just enough room for the tables on the sides and one person to stand in the aisle. If you had (as you did) multiple people there looking at merchandise it was challenging to get past and enter the room. The room itself was better once you got in however it sort of wound around and had an odd flow to it.

3) The tables in the hallways were pretty cramped as well. Given the amount of people there it was hard to walk through without bumping into or getting bumped into by someone. It didn't make for a pleasant browsing experience.

4) The main ballroom was big and PACKED - again I had a hard time feeling comfortable browsing until afternoon when it lightened up a bit. Maybe the DC Show has always been this way????

5) The mixture of new and old pens was great - I had no trouble finding most anything on my list - although I came home without two big ones (Duofold from the 20's and an Omas) as the prices were more than I was willing to pay. I felt the Omas pens were very high and given my limited knowledge of what they're worth I couldn't pull the trigger. Duofold prices were all over the map (with differing quality of course) and truth be told the only one I fell in love with was going for $1,600! Ha!

6) More International vendors were here than at the Ohio show. I enjoyed chatting with the UK blokes.

7) Most of the "pen celebrities" were in attendance. I saw the Goulets and Figboot the first 10 minutes I was there.

8) I got 4 pens and a bunch of ink however I came home with a considerable (hundreds) amount of un-spent cash. It was just too crowded for me to really enjoy browsing and checking out the pens while feeling like a sardine.

9) A couple vendors complained about the setup in the hallway - one (a large one) was very open about not being happy with the setup.

10) I don't know that I'll make it a point to attend the DC show again. I'm glad I went however I think I may do Chicago or maybe even SF next year - along with the Columbus show.

http://i.imgur.com/87ovUQ2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rhzHqMo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8GDcFF6.jpg

I've been to several D.C. shows over the past few years. The new location was not as nice as the old, but easier to get to. The main ballroom was on a par with the old. It was very busy, but the main ballroom was able to handle the crowd. Where the venue let down was in the small ballroom, the entrance, and the back hallway. It was way too tight in some places, and having the entry way open into the tight spaces should be re-thought next year. My wife actually gave up on those areas and never went there because it was just too claustrophobic for her. Having the ink table on the second floor was a bit odd. I liked the old venue's ink table set up better.

Overall, the show was well-attended and there were many more buyers there than previous years on Saturday. The venue might work, but some re-thinking of it needs to be done for next year. It was definitely a step down from the old location, but it was not bad. It probably can work, but those tight spaces in the back hall and in the small ballroom were almost a no-go at times for me.

Edited by Ray-Vigo

Hi All!

We attended the pen show Saturday & Sunday. My wife & I had a good time and here are some observations.

1. Talking to vendors, Friday's setup and start to the show was quite a mess and entry to the show was not timely.
  2. Access from the DC beltway was an improvement over the drive to Sheraton Tysons Corner hotel.
  3. Parking was in a garage adjacent to the hotel, also an improvement.
  4. The Marriott has concierge service only on weekdays. We enjoyed this level of service on weekends at the Sheraton.
  5. Access to the small ballroom was terrible. Suggestion for next year - Don't have two very busy vendors at the entrance.
  6. Marriott staff were friendly and helpful, just like the Sheraton.
  7. You could walk to several eateries from the Sheraton. I heard lots of complaints that there wasn't much in the way of dining near the Marriott.
  8. It was nice to have a breakfast buffet included in the pen show room rate.
  9. If you are offered a room near an electrical equipment room, politely ask for another room unless you love the 60 Hz hum ALL NIGHT LONG.
  10. There were a lot of familiar faces across the tables (aka vendors). One noticeable absence was Deb Kinney, who performs excellent nib work.
  11. Pen selection was excellent as usual.
  12. We look forward to changes, (hopefully improvements) next year.

Regards,

Craig

I was at the pen show for 8 hours on Saturday (I planned on staying 3-4 hours) and had a very good time. Like always at the DC Pen Supershow, the variety and amount of avialable pens, leather cases, writing paper, inks, etc was massive. I scored two beautiful vintage Parker Vacumatics in emerald green, a sterling silver Montegrappa mechanical pencil (which is truly awesome) and three old Parker Ballpoint pens. I also had the nib on my two decades old Montblanc 149 overhauled and perfected by Mike Masuyama. It writes like a dream now. All in all the best DC pen show experience I have personally had since I first started attending this show about 20 years ago.

Maybe I was lucky but I was able to get an excellent cup of hot Starbucks coffee within 5 minutes at the hotel's coffee bar (and it was surprisingly the about same price as a normal stand-alone Starbucks store). The parking was free and very convenient as well. My only complaints were the relatively cramped quarters for the enormous crowd in attendance, particularly those poor vendors consigned to the miserably small outer hallways (it was overly crowded and actually smelled bad out there. I subsequently avoided that particular area of the show after doing an initial walk-about through the show at 9 am). The main ballroom was very large and airy enough and packed with vendors and their wares. Like always, some of the vendors pens were overpriced, others were reasonably priced, and more than a few outstanding deals were to be had if one was patient, looked carefully through the massive inventory at hand, and had sufficient experience to know the pen market, The vendors were very outgoing and friendly and I quickly lost track of time. The day literally flew by. If I could be granted one wish for this show, it would be to remind all the customers to stand directly in front of the vendors tables, NOT in the narrow corridor between the vendor tables, blocking the flow of pedestrian traffic while texting, chatting with someone, waiting while your friend spoke with a vendor, etc.

The vendors were very knowledgeable, friendly, and talkative! The goodness of this show far outweighed the bad, I will definitely be back next year. Overall I had a wonderful experience at this year's DC Pen show!

My haul:

Franklin Christoph #19, Ryan Krusac Legend made out of Chakte Viga burl, Montblanc 146 from the 70's, Montblanc 242 G from the 50's. Various inks. The Aurora blue actually came from Fahrney's - they weren't at the show but I stopped by the store on Friday. My wife also got a yellow Karen D'Ache fountain pen not shown.

http://i.imgur.com/kje05vv.jpg

It's just my opinion, but I think it's long since time pen shows started moving out of hotel lobbies and ballrooms and into expo centers or convention halls. I don't think the organizers of a lot of shows have adapted to the increasing popularity of fountain pens, new vendors, etc. Other niche hobbies like tabletop gaming and model railroading can manage to make a go in larger venues. Are fountain pen show organizers just too set in their ways?

It's just my opinion, but I think it's long since time pen shows started moving out of hotel lobbies and ballrooms and into expo centers or convention halls. I don't think the organizers of a lot of shows have adapted to the increasing popularity of fountain pens, new vendors, etc. Other niche hobbies like tabletop gaming and model railroading can manage to make a go in larger venues. Are fountain pen show organizers just too set in their ways?

You have a good point, although there are hotels with adequate convention facilities. For example, on the other side of DC, there is the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center, that could easily accommodate the DC show. It would be more expensive than a smaller venue, but the vendors and customers would be much happier with adequate room. The show's owner has demonstrated that he is willing to go to any lengths to save a buck, including delaying announcement of the show, thus preventing people from making travel plans, and crowding too many vendors into a totally inadequate space. If the owner doesn't start showing some consideration for his vendors and customers, I don't see the community treating his show kindly. This is not the sort of operation where things can be left until the last minute (witness the Friday debacle). If the owner can't or won't do things properly, he should sell the show to someone who will.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

If the owner doesn't start showing some consideration for his vendors and customers, I don't see the community treating his show kindly. This is not the sort of operation where things can be left until the last minute (witness the Friday debacle). If the owner can't or won't do things properly, he should sell the show to someone who will.

Amen brother! The entire effort reeked of mismanagement.

Everyone knows how late the venue and date were announced and the difficulties that caused for many people.

I usually pay Weekend Trader rate so I can attend Friday, when it is less crowded. I am a collector, not a dealer, and I don't sell at the show but I do buy. I stopped by Thursday afternoon to pick up my registration material and name badge. The fellow at the desk didn't have a clue what to do. Checking people in is a simple procedure my 5 year old granddaughter could do. All he needed was 5 minutes of basic training, but that obviously had not been provided.

Friday is the day I usually do my major scouting and often make the bulk of my purchases. It is less crowded, so I can actually chat with dealer friends and spend a little more time discussing the pens. I arrived about 10:00 to find a world class cluster ****. People were lined up trying to get their registration materials. Dealers were still lined up trying to get their table assignments. Many had large dollies and carts full of their inventories and those quickly clogged the entire area so it was almost impossible to get through. Many dealers didn't even get to their tables until after noon and most were not in very good moods. I really felt sorry for these dealers who spent so much to be there and were denied the opportunity in which they had invested. I also wasn't happy that I had paid a premium for admission before the "public" show began and didn't receive the full value for which I had paid.

There was a paper listing seminars to be held Saturday, and it said to check the website for times and locations. I checked the website, but there was nothing there. There was such a schedule at the registration table Saturday morning and it showed the first seminar I wanted to hear at 1 pm. The speaker had apparently been told his was at 2pm but fortunately he arrived at 1 pm to check out his room so was able to quickly regroup and begin his presentation. Were people confused? I don't know, but it was the first time I ever attended a seminar at a pen show and the audience only numbered four people.

The show was as huge as ever, and once things settled down I'm sure people found it enjoyable, as some have commented above. The layout was cumbersome, with dealers in overcrowded hallways, some in sort of hidden corners, etc. but perhaps that should be expected when a venue changes. One thing I most certainly enjoyed was the large and cost free parking garage.

DC is the world's largest show and has been a highlight on many dealers' and buyers' schedules. The show promoter certainly needs to do better, whether it means getting additional experienced management help, or selling the show to someone who can properly manage the event. If he doesn't, the show will suffer which will reduce the value of his asset, which can happen faster than most people can imagine. Just ask Chicago, which was near death but is now showing how a badly wounded show can be brought back to life with proper management. Even worse, the promoter is virtually inviting someone to launch a competing event in the DC area at a similar time which could destroy his asset altogether.

Perhaps this all sounds harsh. I can assure you, it is mild compared to what was being said Friday morning. I hope my comments will be taken constructively and the promoter will respond with the badly needed corrective actions. Bob, we're all rooting for you.

My haul:

Franklin Christoph #19, Ryan Krusac Legend made out of Chakte Viga burl, Montblanc 146 from the 70's, Montblanc 242 G from the 50's. Various inks. The Aurora blue actually came from Fahrney's - they weren't at the show but I stopped by the store on Friday. My wife also got a yellow Karen D'Ache fountain pen not shown.

http://i.imgur.com/kje05vv.jpg

I love that Quink box on the right!

Edited by TSherbs

I was there since Thursday, as a buyer, not a dealer. I can pontificate more later, when I have more time. But here's a little of what I took:

• Thursday, if you were a seller, you took a table and sat. You had to clear out until 1 hour before opening on Friday to get an assigned table, and it was on a first come, first served basis -- the primary reason dealers were ticked.
  • As usual, pen people are the nicest people to talk with. I have been going to pop culture cons and comic cons for decades with people remarking how nice everyone is. No. I never had that experience. I always seem to get it at a pen show, though.
  • Bring a loupe. I can't tell you how many times I lent mine to people who were struggling to see something. The smart vendors had a spare to lend to interested buyers.
  • I brought some pens I was hoping to sell/trade. I won't do that again. Out of everything I did, attempting to trade or sell with vendors, even ones who say they'll buy or trade pens, was the most disappointing experience. I don't mean I was a guy with a dozen Wearevers, but just less expensive but still highly sellable Esterbrooks and Sheaffers were turned down. I shall be eBaying.
  • The hidden buy, as far as I'm concerned, at this show, was ink! I got some incredible ink, including a couple of highly rare Noodlers inks, two of which have not been reviewed on FPN. I love inks!! I only write, I can't draw, but inks are what makes this hobby interesting to me!
  • I travel a lot for work, so maybe I was too insensitive to the problems of leaving for food, but there was a courtesy shuttle to the Metro station every hour which had a bunch of restaurants there. And Uber was $6 one way for me to go to a close restaurant of my choice. I thought that was lower than I normally expect to pay, but again, I may be insensitive to that problem from past experience.

On the social aspect, I'm very introverted, so while I tried going to the bar to hang out for a bit with people, I just really couldn't stay. Personal failing of mine.

I would make one suggestion to people: on my badge, I wrote in red letters, my FPN username so people on this board would recognize me. I didn't see anyone else do that. I don't know most of your names. If I passed you and you recognized me by my name, I apologize for not saying anything. I wish organizers would default that practice: leave a spot for groups and user names to be placed on nametags.

More later.

I love that Quink box on the right!

It's super cool! They wanted $20 for it but were having a half off sale so I got it for 10 clams!

http://i.imgur.com/guR8WF9.jpg