Has Anyone Ever Flown Carry-On Only & Had An Inky Accident?

inkyelbows

Debbie,

Thanks for the link. My son is 3 1/2. English is not his primary language but he does enjoy having English language books read to him. Can you recommend any?

Todd

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkyelbows

• Tinjapan

• goodpens

• Sasha Royale

Tinjapan: What kind of things does your son like? Any particular interests? There are SO many great books out there that would be fun as readalouds.

Follow-up to previous posts:

I *do* use fountain pens for note-taking while travelling under normal circumstances, by the way. My first travel fountain pen was a Lamy Safari (which was also my first fountain pen brand). You can see a blurry version of a pink and green (mix'n'match) Lamy Safari I'm using for a meeting earlier this year in NYC at Simon & Schuster:

fpn_1498242953__imsadgroupmeeting-simons

The meeting was about a picture book called I'M SAD, by the way. And yes, I do have a lot of fun working Simon & Schuster Children's. From left to right: my editor, my art director, me and an assistant editor.

Debbie

Debbie Ridpath Ohi - Twitter: @inkyelbows - Instagram: @inkygirl - YouTube: @debbieohi

My FP blog (fountain pen comics and doodles): Debbie Ohi's Inky Journal

Tinjapan: I just noticed you're in Japan! In answer to your question, may I humbly suggest one of my children's picture books that got translated into Japanese? You can see it here on Amazon Japan.

The version in the U.S. is called "Naked!" (see this link on the Simon & Schuster site).

and got renamed "Who Needs Pants?" in the UK.

Anyway, you might try finding the Japanese version in your library? And if you also found a copy of the English version, your child might enjoy comparing them.

Despite the title (which seems to scare off some people), it's a very innocent and sweet story about a little boy who refuses to put his clothes back on after taking a bath, and his mom runs around the house chasing him until he gets tired, and then puts him to bed with a kiss.

Last year I got flown to Missouri to accept an award for the book (preschoolers & kindergarteners voted for the book!). I don't often get awards and was tickled not just by the fact that it was a physical plaque that I can hang up on the wall, but that it has the word NAKED! written in big letters across the top. :-D

If you need further book ideas, I'm happy to take this to private messages. I'd like to keep this thread focused on fountain pen stuff and not self-promo. :-)

Thanks so much,

Debbie

Debbie Ridpath Ohi - Twitter: @inkyelbows - Instagram: @inkygirl - YouTube: @debbieohi

I had an embarrassing accident last year with a Kaweco Sport. On the way to Europe, I carried the pen empty, along with a pack of cartridges, but on the way back I made the mistake of carrying it with a 2/3 full cartridge installed. Then, alas, I made the additional mistake of removing the cap while the plane was still in flight--which, in retrospect, brings to mind admonitions against opening the oven to check on a cheese souffle. I splattered ink onto my papers and, worst of all, onto the tray table. Others frowned.

More recently, I traveled with a Pilot Prera, with the converter full of ink. I experienced no leakage at all. Unfortunately, I ran out of ink during the trip. I hadn't carried a bottle of ink because I was afraid of leakage.

Sometimes I see an advertisement for a "travel inkwell," but I have never actually seen one and know nothing about them, other than that they exist.

ENewton: Eek!!!! That is EXACTLY the kind of inky accident that I would try to avoid. I had thought that cartridges would help prevent accidents but I see that even if a cartridge is only PARTLY empty, that it might still cause issues. And it's so hard to tell with cartridges whether they're full or not unless I put it a new one JUST before travelling. But then I'd need to do that every time I'm about to get on a plane -- and during my trip, I was getting on a plane once a day.

I've heard about the travel inkwell on GouletPens and have been tempted, but they're a wee bit too pricey for me. Though maybe the investment is worth it? I'll have to think about this.

Thanks!

Debbie

I definitely don't think you need a traveling inkwell. I usually travel with filled pens, but if that's too risky for you, why not get some sample vials, fill them with the ink, and leave the pens uninked for the duration of the flight?

The small vials will have to go in a sealed ziplock for airport security anyway, and that ziplock will protect you from any spills. When it's time to fly again, just dump the ink from the pen back into (the proper) vial, and fly. Fill it up again when you land. Voila!

Whatever you do though, don't dump the vials of ink back into the bottles they came from. Use them up in the vials.

Although it looks like you have plenty of replies I will chime in anyway because I also travel extensively for work and share your paranoia. Anecdotal evidence to the contrary my position has always been to not risk it and I do not travel with fountain pens. That being said I also will not suffer though hotel or other cheap pens and I do carry my Pelikan 800 ballpoint, rollerball and sometimes my old rotring 700 rollerball. All provide a good writing experience but without the risks. (I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss my FPs though).

saskia_madding: Thanks for the feedback! Because I fly every day during book tours and often don't get extra time between leaving my last event and getting on the next flight, however, I wouldn't have time to for the vial transfer. With my luck, I'd just end up spilling ink while I hurriedly tried to transfer. I'm curious, though -- why shouldn't ink be dumped back into the same vials that they came from?

MHBru: Hm, intriguing. Now I'm curious about the Pelikan 800 ballpoint; I'll have to check that out. Thanks!