Moss Agate/green & Bronze

pen lady

Regarding vintage Waterman celluloid plastic colours, can anyone please tell me, is there any difference between Moss Agate and Green & Bronze or are they, in fact, the same. Is there a comprehensive colour chart anywhere on-line? That would be so helpful. Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pen lady

• gregamckinney

• PaulS

• Freddy

Regarding vintage Waterman celluloid plastic colours, can anyone please tell me, is there any difference between Moss Agate and Green & Bronze or are they, in fact, the same. Is there a comprehensive colour chart anywhere on-line? That would be so helpful. Thanks.

They are one and the same.

For your consideration..a link to Richard Binder

and Waterman's Patrician profile scroll down

to Moss-Agate...good clear photos of Patrician

and Lady Patricia.............................................

The modern equivalent of green / bronze celluloid....would be
Stipula: Superba..Idra
And
Visconti: Kaweco Anniversary Set in that same beautiful green bronze celluloid
Fred
Today's earworm....One on one I wanna play that game tonight
One on one so slow Ooh Ooh...............
Edited by Freddy

No, I don't believe they are the same color, if by "green and bronze" you are referring to what Waterman called 'green and gold' in the 1933 catalog for (for example) the model 92.

If they were the same color, Waterman would have referred to the 92 as Moss Agate.

Moss Agate has a much chunkier pattern (as Freddy's link to R.B.'s site shows,) while Green & Gold is much more swirled. See this photo of a 92 set:

http://www.gergyor.com/images/92_green+gold.jpg

See also this photo. The 3rd pen from the left is a Moss Agate 94. The 8th from the left is a green and gold 92. It would be easier to see if they were side by side, but they are definitely different colors.

http://www.gergyor.com/images/waterman-moss-v-green.png

Best Regards, greg

Edited by gregamckinney

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Thank you Greg, those photos are very helpful. Looks like I have a green and gold example. And when I've figured out how to post pictures (why is it SO complicated for the technically challenged) I'll show you all what I've got.

think I'd agree with Greg - there's no doubt that Moss Agate pattern seems consistently to include splashes of a sort of greenish mother of pearl. which green and gold doesn't.

Hope the OP will not object to me adding what I think is a model 92 - made in Canada - but sadly now showing too much brown on the barrel, and assume there's no way of retrieving some or all of the original colouring?? Perhaps someone will confirm please if my example is in fact a 92.

Must admit I also struggled when I first joined FPN regarding the uploading of pix............ but it really is simple, or at least I now think it is.

Process your own pix by editing in Picasa or whatever, then re-size if wanted. Having typed the text of your reply, you then hit the small box just off the bottom right of the reply where it says More Reply Options, and this will then re-format your reply and give you the facility to add pix in the usual way of a paperclip and the words Attach Files ....... this should appear down off to the left of the box. Add your pix and then hit 'Attach This File' - then post. Hope this is of some help P.L.

Good call PaulS, what I have IS a Canadian 92 made sometime between '31 and '38, now tell me what is Picasa? Isn't there an easy way to post directly from my camera card the way I did when I first joined FPN please?

Hi P.L. - ah, but does your pen have the g.f. band adjacent to the filling lever :D :P

regarding your question about loading direct from camera to FPN, regret I'm not clever enough to know the answer, in fact I'm a bit of a muppet when it comes to technology, generally. I would have assumed that loading direct from camera card to FPN didn't allow you to edit or re-size your pix, and although re-sizing is perhaps not essential, editing to improve contrast, colour etc. can improve (sometimes vastly) the quality of the end result.

I find that even though my Panasonic Lumix has a Leica lens, and generally takes very good pix, it's rare that I can't improve the images by tinkering with Picasa.................. this is a freebie download programme that provides a variety of adjustments to images, and don't think I could live without it now - IMHO it's really worthwhile having, and as I say it's free. Go on line and have a look - doesn't take long to download, and if you really don't like it you can always delete.

Had assumed you would have downloaded your pix from the card to hard-drive anyway - then adjust with Picasa and then up-load to FPN.

Edited by PaulS

@PaulS: unfortunately, once your pen (yes, a 92) has discolored/ darkened, there is usually no way to restore the original color.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.