Traveling To Japan, Worth It To Find A Pen Shop?

margincall

I will be traveling to Japan in December, and stopping in few of the major cities like Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka.

Are there any pen shops thats a must visit or any special editions I should keep my eye out for?

ie shops like engieka but in-person.

Thanks

Brian

Edited by margincall

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tinjapan

• Algester

• jpierson

• margincall

bft I can't say anything about special editions on december but if you fancy Sailor they will most likely be your top pick as they are the most prevalent in terms of special editions

else... the link on my signature and hope to the gods that they will be there when you arrive

Maruzen also has shop exclusive pen models.

If you are looking for a nice large laquered ebonite pens, then Tokyo Pen Shop Quill with their Pilot 845s in vermilion or black with shop exclusive nibs is a must. You might want to contact them long before your visit to see if they can have the nib you are looking for. Otherwise, I believe it is possible to order it and have it sent to your home address.

Kingdom Note often has second hand long out of production pens including LE pens. There is no way to know whatbtheir stock will be at any given time, however.

You asked a broad and loaded question!

Going to Japan provides option for ink and pens. Iroshizuku ink is everywhere and sells for about 12USD. Several stores sell specialty brands like Bung Box, Maruzen, and a few others.

You'll be able to buy Nakaya and other custom pens from a store like Itoya in Tokyo.

You may want to be more specific on the money you are willing to spend and what you are looking for.

Buzz

Good Lord, I'd need to bring an extra empty suitcase for inks if I went to Japan. Or a shipping trunk. At least one of everything.

Everything.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

As everything has been pretty much picked over, unless very lucky, your suitcase would return as it came, empty.

Tokyo Pen Shop Quill would be on my list. Along with Itoya.

Would also add Tsutaya t-site in Daikanyama as a must visit. They also have a few restaurants worth going to including Anjin (2nd floor in Tsutaya) and Ivy Place.

I have +1'd others' suggestions below, but for my contribution, I would say Shosaikan is must-see. I only bought some cards and a few bottles of their store-exclusive ink made by Sailor (they have two colors, and the blue "Seiran" / indigo blue is great), but it is truly one of the most beautiful shops in the world, and the ladies there were very friendly and happy to show me the vintage offerings. The area around the shop is fun too, with a great burger place down the street (The 3rd Burger).

Tokyo Pen Shop Quill would be on my list. Along with Itoya.

Maruzen also has shop exclusive pen models.

If you are looking for a nice large laquered ebonite pens, then Tokyo Pen Shop Quill with their Pilot 845s in vermilion or black with shop exclusive nibs is a must. You might want to contact them long before your visit to see if they can have the nib you are looking for. Otherwise, I believe it is possible to order it and have it sent to your home address.

Kingdom Note often has second hand long out of production pens including LE pens. There is no way to know whatbtheir stock will be at any given time, however.

+1 on Tokyo Pen Shop Quill. When I was there, they told me the red urushi 845s wouldn't be ready until November, but I did pick up some 823s, both with store-exclusive nibs (one FA and one WA). Also, two of the nicest people around!

+1 also on Kingdom Note. They have limited inks made for their store only by Sailor, but stock is often low. I picked up a Pelikan K400 ballpoint at a very good price there too.

Would also add Tsutaya t-site in Daikanyama as a must visit. They also have a few restaurants worth going to including Anjin (2nd floor in Tsutaya) and Ivy Place.

+1 on Daikanyama T-site. Prices are MSRP, but the layout / atmosphere of the whole store complex itself makes it worthy of a visit. Also, they have some cute accessories in the fountain pen section from Swank, such as fountain pen cufflinks, a fountain pen tie clip, and a nib tie pin.

I was lucky enough to pick up a few bottles of Athena Sepia ink at Maruzen. They were probably the last bottles available at the time in Tokyo area shops, but one of the employees told me they were expecting a restocking at the end of August.

I would love to go back to Japan to do some pen shopping :)

I have only been to Itoya and would like to go to other shops and particularly a pen fair.

I would also like to visit a pen maker, like Hakase, to order a pen in person.

One day....

We travel to Japan each year to visit relations and discover out-of-the-way, off-the-beaten path sites that barely find pages in local tourism guides. Fortune shines on me as my wife is Japanese, has a fantastic sixth sense for finding great places to see and is an incredible cultural and historical resource.

This year we must do more of the same, of course - visit family in Shikoku and my father-in-law at the cemetery. That, does not take much time and we have to fill in an itinerary.

I stopped doing the Tokyo pen tour and trek several years ago - been there, done that. The big city players are off my radar. Not even close. Okay. So, what do we do.

If in a big city our hotel is always near a few department stores. Always good to check if they have anything special for sale. Itoya in Shinjuku had a few items several years ago. Added two fantastic LE users to the collection.

Friends turned me on to an art and antique dealer in Nagano who does custom pens. Owner does them himself!!! From the few I have seen, very worthwhile visit if in town. A collector of short pens also lives here. We communicated a few times. She says she has collected about 99% of all of the short pen models ever made. Must have a museum somewhere -). Definitely not worth a visit simply to see pens. WE have not been here before so it might be a worthwhile excursion from Tokyo.

There is a shop in Takamatsu that we will miss - too many relatives in tow. Been on my radar for some time. Photographs intrigue and definitely must be visited in the very near future.

Matsuyama, on the other end of Shikoku, is promising. Old castle city. Only hardcore tourists make it out that way. Relatives direct me to several antique-type shops.

After leaving Shikoku, schedule is still open. Goal is not to find pens. It's to have fun and enjoy time away from the every day grind. If I find a pen here and there, great. I would prefer to return with something of greater lasting cultural value. There are important temple sites, traditional craft cities, and more that allow the tourist opportunities to experience a much broader understanding of Japan.

For perspective.

We met a group of young people who created their own Tour de Japon, bicycling from the southernmost tip of Kyushu to eventually circumnavigate Hokkaido and return to Tokyo.

Another fellow wished to spend his summer vacation visiting all 88 pilgrimage temples in Shikoku. He was not Buddhist. Why? Because it was an interesting way to soak up culture and do something truly different. He was a university astronomy professor. We have also met American Buddhists who desired to spend two or three weeks visiting sites related to their patron saint.

Should you go, devote time - at least two days if possible - to get out of Tokyo or Osaka. Do something different and memorable. Buying a LE in Maruzen or Itoya does not count. Bring back gifts - not trinkets - for friends and family. Take photographs - nobody wants to see you trying out pens. Suggestion: http://zoomingjapan.com/travel/day-trips-from-tokyo/

If you must stay in Tokyo, there are an unlimited assortment of fascinating places to visit and things to do during the day.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3054.html

http://gotokyo.org/en/tourists/attractions/index.html

And, after nightfall, even more fun opportunities for the young and adventurous.

PS: I no longer acquire pens for the sake of acquiring pens for resale, personal used, or to lock away in a vault. With few exceptions, many pens that were in my collection are sold. Some remaining pens will eventually make it to eBay. The best to higher-end auction houses.

Sorry for the lengthy addition. If you or your family or company is spending good money to get you to Japan, please try to appreciate the opportunity. We do, every time. Thanks.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club