• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• Gofixmix

• Erik Dalton

• Martinsroom

OK, mine arrived yesterday, so thank you...I guess :) (it wasn't even on my wish list)

I want to put a little update here in case anyone is wondering about these.

I got excited about the deal, told myself I don't really need this pen, proceeded to eBay to find something "I really need" :) bid once again on vintage Pelikan N100, got outbid once again, returned to check this Carene again and since the one for £72 was gone, panicked and ordered the £60 one. Sad, I know :)

It said packaging might be damaged.So basically, it might have been a display model somewhere, the pen doesn't have ANY signs of use, no microscratches, fingerprints, etc.

But the water turned blue when I rinsed it, so has been inked/dipped at some point. Convertor was clean.

The box was intact as well and had little Waterman booklet and box of cartridges.

From the outer thin paper box one side was missing and was replaced with Amazon sticker, so that was all the "damaged packaging"

The pen writes well, had tiniest tine misalignment (nitpicking), fixed in 2seconds and after that writes super -smoothly. (Possibly bit over-polished and bit of baby bottom, it will hard start sometimes with *zero* pressure on Claire Fontaine paper, again nitpicking and easily fixable). Really good ink flow.

So overall I'm happy with it. The design is not something I was excited about visually, but it's growing on me, it's really nice to write with...

Edited by Gofixmix

I've come late to the waterman Carene. But now that I have a few, I can't get enough..lol.. They are such a delight to write with. Just got a dark green deluxe on the bay. Love it.

The pen writes well, had tiniest tine misalignment (nitpicking), fixed in 2seconds and after that writes super -smoothly. (Possibly bit over-polished and bit of baby bottom, it will hard start sometimes with *zero* pressure on Claire Fontaine paper, again nitpicking and easily fixable). Really good ink flow.

I took advantage of the Carene offer sometime last year and mine is similar to yours with the babys bottom, if that's what it is that's causing it. After I've filled the pen it writes great, but after a few pages it sort of starts to because noticeably on the drier side resulting in the skipping now and again. If I cap the pen and put it away for a few weeks it will constantly hard start until I squeeze some ink out of the nib. Then it was start gushing ink again.

For a few pages anyway where it will progressively get drier.

Repeat goto 10.

I got mine in the Black Friday sale last November/December and it's been fine, except when freshly filled, at which point it does burp when moved around, but only seems to do that once.

OK, mine arrived yesterday, so thank you...I guess :) (it wasn't even on my wish list)

I want to put a little update here in case anyone is wondering about these.

I got excited about the deal, told myself I don't really need this pen, proceeded to eBay to find something "I really need" :) bid once again on vintage Pelikan N100, got outbid once again, returned to check this Carene again and since the one for £72 was gone, panicked and ordered the £60 one. Sad, I know :)

It said packaging might be damaged.So basically, it might have been a display model somewhere, the pen doesn't have ANY signs of use, no microscratches, fingerprints, etc.

But the water turned blue when I rinsed it, so has been inked/dipped at some point. Convertor was clean.

The box was intact as well and had little Waterman booklet and box of cartridges.

From the outer thin paper box one side was missing and was replaced with Amazon sticker, so that was all the "damaged packaging"

So overall I'm happy with it. The design is not something I was excited about visually, but it's growing on me, it's really nice to write with...

I purchased one for £62 a year or so back and it was precisely as you describe. I was not 100% happy but for £62 you cannot buy a new cap and barrel so I did not return it for that reason. The section can be replaced in time for something better.

I purchased one for £62 a year or so back and it was precisely as you describe. I was not 100% happy but for £62 you cannot buy a new cap and barrel so I did not return it for that reason. The section can be replaced in time for something better.

Yes, it actually had a baby bottom visible with naked eye and I had to grind it off (japanese waterstones are great for this, fortunately I have some for my knives).

That made it kind of italic, which is cool.

But this is a thing I still don't understand about the fountain pen world, yes, only £60, but all my cheap Lamys, Pilots, Pelikan wrote great straight out of the box.

Seems to me in my limited experience (I have Expert as well) that this Waterman Paris is making nice looking pens with great finish, but writing is second thought. Or they're simply set up for people that write with quite a lot of pressure, not quite FP enthusiasts...

• 2 months later...

Just an update.

These are still on offer at £72 for the new stock due next week.

I really don't know what deal they have with NR but the offer seems to have been running for many months and on pens they have on back order. Seems daft when the sections alone are retailing at £77.

It's a really good deal for us in Australia....no VAT and a great exchange rate.

It's a good deal on a solid 1st line pen. Watermans have long been reputed for wet, smooth nibs. I have over a dozen (not all Carenes!) and most have not even needed a nib tuning. My Expert deLuxe is a very smooth steel nib that also happens to fit my hand. It is a quality pen that snaps when capped and posted! Not overly heavy but a solid feel and that beautiful ink flow. I normally use M to B, but this F is perfect for me.