Has Anyone Heard Of Henry Simpole 2016

RMN

I never met Henry we did speak on the phone when I started making pen cases and boxes, He was very generous with his time and shared some of his methods with me that I still use many years later. Henry was a talented craftsman but more than that he was a Gentleman.

I will remember him.

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• billydo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Henry was a Gentleman ( I agree withmy63).

I met him many times, enjoy his humor and conversation as well as his fine work.

Thanks to Neal for keeping us informed.

Some of his pens will stay with me and I will always remember him, rest in peace...

I'm so saddened to hear this news. Henry was indeed a kind and gentle spirit.

I first met Henry at his booth on the Portobello Road when I lived in London. This was in the early to mid 1990s, when he was still experimenting with the overlay process.. Many a Saturday morning was spent talking pens. I used to sell him Conklin Crescent Fillers for his early overlay work (as a native of Toledo, Ohio, I had a fairly good supply line). In about 1995 or 1996, I bought one of his Conklin overlays (smooth sterling, not filigree) and I also bought a massive Ford that he did an overlay on (again, smooth sterling). They are beautiful pieces that really show off his talent! He used to make the boxes for them too!

I'll never forget his quick wit and his clever retorts, nor his many kindnesses.

Very sad news. RIP Henry. I only met Henry a couple of times at pen shows. As others have said, it was always an enjoyable encounter. At the LWES pen show some years ago I bought a Simpini pen from him which I treasure to this day.

RIP Henry!

Though we never met it was always good that I heard about him.

Maybe one day i will have the opportunity to get a pen made by him!

A great talent and always there to help.

His care and attention to detail was of the highest order.

I have been looking through my pics and found this one of the London Pen Show 2016.

Eric Wilson is in the foreground, Henry is centre pic but towards the back and talking to me.

I had a little correspondence with him, he was certainly helpful, but more than that , he had a subtle humor that was nice. In his postings, it's easy to pick up on his gentleness.

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

I never met the man, though wish I had. To all his friends and family, ''may the memory of him always be a blessing to you''.

R.I.P. Henry... :sad:

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

I visited Henry's stall in Portobello market like clockwork, for years. Most of my knowledge of vintage fountain pens comes from Henry, as does the lion part of my collection. He was such a talented, kind, and interesting gentleman; so knowledgeable and generous with his time. I have one of his beautiful pen creations, the Jasmin pen, and it is a work of art.

I enjoyed hearing his pen stories in person and reading his posts here very much.

I will really miss him.

RIP Henry.

So sorry to hear of the passing of Henry....he will be sorely missed in our Fountain pen Community....rip Henry.

Sad news indeed, RIP Henry. I never managed to make it to Portobello Road, what a regret now, but did meet him at the London Pen Show, and treasure the pen on which he collaborated with F. G. Thomas. A master craftsman and thoroughly nice chap.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I distinctly remember my first visit to Henry's kiosk at the Portebello Road Market many years ago. I was so mesmerised by his intricate work that I ended up purchasing a Jasmine pen. Henry was also brilliant at restoration work and he gave a new lease of life to a precious family heriloom, a Gooptu's Perfection fountain pen. A true gentleman in every aspect. You will be missed Henry.

Im sorry to hear that Henry has died, I went to his stall a couple of times to chat & hand over a pen for repair, and he was really generous with his time, knowledge and experience.

Instagram @inkysloth

Yes, I also have the F. G. Thomas special edition pen that Henry did for Gary Ellison. It's a beautiful piece of work and a treasure. Although I never met Henry, I was an avid reader of his posts and always enjoyed his stories and learned from him. He will indeed be missed!

Sad news indeed, RIP Henry. I never managed to make it to Portobello Road, what a regret now, but did meet him at the London Pen Show, and treasure the pen on which he collaborated with F. G. Thomas. A master craftsman and thoroughly nice chap.

• 2 weeks later...

I just heard about Henry's passing a day or two ago. Very sad. I had bought several pens from him and once made it to Henry's stall in Portobello market. We've lost many pen friends over the past couple of years, but for some reason losing Henry made me cry. Well, I'll never collect on the pen he owed me (one of the pens I bought from him at his stall had lots of problems and he said next time we meet he'd find something for me -- I sure hope that we don't meet again soon!).

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

I just heard about Henry's passing a day or two ago. Very sad. I had bought several pens from him and once made it to Henry's stall in Portobello market. We've lost many pen friends over the past couple of years, but for some reason losing Henry made me cry. Well, I'll never collect on the pen he owed me (one of the pens I bought from him at his stall had lots of problems and he said next time we meet he'd find something for me -- I sure hope that we don't meet again soon!).

This made me smile. He was worth our tears. Thank you for cherishing him. .And he probably would have made the same remark. ;)

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments left both here and on Henry's website guestbook. I know that it's meant a lot to his family to know how loved and appreciated he was. There will be forthcoming obituaries in the next editions of both Pen World and The Writing Equipment Society magazines.

i hope that the admins don't mind me making you aware of an instagram page created to honour Henry's work; if you'd like to see regular images please search and follow henrysimpolepensmith.

Best wishes,

Neal.