Long Term Fade Test

Fuzzy_Bear

I've done it again. I wrote the ink names of each ink I have and have posted that in a west facing window. It gets sun every evening. I will make a scan each week so we can see the time effects instead of just a long term effect. I also soaked another set written at the same time in water. I will douse that one in alcohol next and then bleach.

Here are the inks, in order from top to bottom.

Noodler's King Philip Requiem

Noodler's Bankers Tan

Noodler's Texas Bluebonnet

Noodler's Bay State Blue

Sheaffer Melon Red (Old Bottle)

Noodler's Black Swan in Austrialian Roses

Private Reserve Chocolat

Private Reserve Electric DC Blue

Noodler's Blue Steel

Pelikan 4001 Brillant Black

Noodler's Lexington Grey

Aurora Black

Noodler's Widowmaker

Noodler's The Alamo Twilight

Noodler's Texas Live Oak

Private Reserve Spearmint

Noodler's Tanned Armadillo

Noodler's Comanche Rouge

Private Reserve Burgandy Mist

Noodler's General of the Armies

Noodler's Texas Pecan

Higgins Black Magic (NOT FP INK)

post-33558-0-58885700-1443899514_thumb.jpg

post-33558-0-30980200-1443899535_thumb.jpg

post-33558-0-91314800-1443899549_thumb.jpg

Peace and Understanding

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fuzzy_Bear

• amberleadavis

• inkstainedruth

• AndyYNWA

The water test wiped out the following:

Sheaffer Melon Red

Private Reserve Electric DC Blue

Private Reserve Spearmint

Peace and Understanding

Thanks for doing this, especially with newly released inks. Looking forward to the results.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 1 month later...

Ok. It has been MORE than a week. Here is the latest scan.

King Philip is not fairing well. Electric DC Blue and Comanche Rouge are showing little resistance to UV light as well.

Amazing. Baystate Blue is having trouble.

post-33558-0-46049800-1446952554_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fuzzy_Bear

Peace and Understanding

Comanche Rouge is a known fader, and Tanned Armadillo does much better than I had expected. I had hoped KPR would do better, but Saguaro Wine and Cactus Fruit Eel are both faders in my tests so I should have expected KPR to do about the same. Thanks for the updated test.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

It's going to keep going. Hoping for a year. Anything that makes it that long, I don't think we have to worry about.

Peace and Understanding

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Today I added the following:

Private Reserve Black Cherry

Noodler's Habanero

Noodler's Sunrise Highlighter over Private Reserve Black Cherry.

Peace and Understanding

Interesting, we will see if the highlighter makes the Black Cherry fade any faster.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Dang, that's fast on the KPR, I had hoped it would do at least as well as Comanche Rouge which fades, but I love it anyway. Tanned Armadillo does better than you might expect.

It was fast. Rouge does not last a year though. Less than two months and its gone almost. Good play ink, not for permanent.

Peace and Understanding

• 2 weeks later...

This is great, thanks!! I'll have to do this once the spring/summer rolls around and we get some reasonable sunlight. I've had half page of clairefontaine with a few inks in the window for about a month or so without much fading. There also hasn't been that much sunlight!!

One of these days I'm going to do a similar test - I have ideas and a growing ink collection - but for now I get a great deal of enjoyment and education from watching other people do these tests. Thank you!

I've also done this rather recently. Waterman Purple (prior to rename) was my fastest fader (unless you want to count Papermate InkJoy ballpoint blue). I eventually mailed the control and test halves of the sheet off to Amber. All of my blacks except for HoD and Bad Black Mocassin faded at least a little, but none became illegible. Diamine Sherwood became rather greenish-yellow. I have a bottle labeled "Waterman Florida Blue" that I suspect is either dehydrated or a liar; it lost brightness and darkened. I don't really remember how the rest of it went. I also used india ink as my absolute control. It uses carbon black as its pigment, and that is not subject to fading, no matter what. However, none of my inks are what you'd call "recent."

• 5 weeks later...

fpn_1453065512__hpsc1.jpg

King Philip is gone.Baystate and Electric Blue are goners. Not totally, but just about.Live Oak is no longer green.Sunrise HL ink is gone, but it seems to have made Black Cherry last longer!

Peace and Understanding

• 2 weeks later...

Ending this one. You can see from the scans what will go away and get an idea if you're long it will take.

Next to water and alcohol/bleach tests on Tomoe paper that amberleadavis sent!

Peace and Understanding

**Grin** I love these experiments.