Esterbrook Dip Nibs - Renew Nibs: "like, Duh" Edition

AAAndrew

All, right. So I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer. At least I'm smart enough to realize this.

So, I just made a connection that I'm sure everyone else in the universe has already said, "Well, yeah. Of course."

I just figured out the connection between the Esterbrook Renew Point nib numbers and the original Esterbrook dip pen nib numbers.

I guess it's probably because when I was more conversant with the Renew Points, I knew nothing about the dip pens. And since I've gotten so heavily into the Esterbrook dip pens, I have neglected my Esterbrook fountain pens.

Today I pulled out and was using a J pen with a 2314M "Relief" stub nib. The penny dropped because I recently acquired and have been using 314 Relief Pen nibs.

I just did a quick table using Brian Anderson's Esterbrook.net table of Renew Point nibs, and cross-referenced it with The Esterbrook Project's list of the dip nibs. Voila!

I first had to rearrange the Renew Point chart by the last three numbers, not the first number. That gave me what I needed. Out of the numbered Renew Point nibs there were only a few numbers that didn't correspond with a nib on the Esterbrook project dip nib list: 440, 450, 464, 550, 551, 554. The rest have their corresponding number, and the general type fits perfectly.

And a lot of the classic dip nibs are there, including the flagship nibs of the 048 Falcon, 442 Jackson Stub, the aforementioned 314 Relief, the 788 Oval Point, and the 312 Judge's Quill.

Don't know if the attachment will work, I've never tried to attach a PDF before, but thought some might be interested. And I apologize for using an "O" instead of a zero for the 048, but Excel insisted on deleting the zero and Esterbrook always used it.

EsterbrookNibtoRenewNib.pdf

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AAAndrew

• PaperQueen

• dasXFnib

• ac12

cool

Thanks for the matchup.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Very interesting comparison. Thanks for posting this.

I picked up a old Esterbrook dip pen set last winter when I was up in Boston. I was walking back to the T station after a lovely trip to Bromfield Pen Shop, and in the next block was a store that mostly seemed to specialize in coins and sports memorabilia. But they had the set (still on the original display card) in the shop window. So I asked to see it and eventually bought it. I should dig it out and see if any of the nibs from the set correspond to ones in the chart.

Ruth Morrisson aks inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

cool! I'd be interested in seeing what the set looks like and what nibs were included. Please share if you can.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

• 1 month later...

Oh nooooooooo.... Esterbrook dip pens???

I'm doomed, having recently fallen into the Estie fountain pen rabbit hole.

:::chuh-ching:::

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

• 2 weeks later...

If you tell Excel to handle the 048 like a character field, it shouldn't delete the leading zero.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Oh nooooooooo.... Esterbrook dip pens???

I'm doomed, having recently fallen into the Estie fountain pen rabbit hole.

:::chuh-ching:::

PQ......I feel your pain......! :crybaby:

Methinks I should have "discovered" Esties AFTER the Christmas season....!!! :rolleyes:

Just landed THREE in the past WEEK!!!! :yikes:

Until after the Holidays.....I've pledged to keep Esties "off my menu"...

Then again.....how many little calories are there in , say, 6 #16 sacs??? Or.....just ONE little J Red???!! :headsmack:

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

Until after the Holidays.....I've pledged to keep Esties "off my menu"...

Then again.....how many little calories are there in , say, 6 #16 sacs??? Or.....just ONE little J Red???!! :headsmack:

Good luck with that. ;)

Just buffed up my latest addition---a sweet Red LJ Icicles (!) in lovely condition, thanks to Brian at Anderson Pens.

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

Those icicles are really neat! Though, PaperQueen, I believe you may soon be receiving an envelope that could "worsen" (or improve, depending on your perspective) the situation.

-Montaigne

Those icicles are really neat! Though, PaperQueen, I believe you may soon be receiving an envelope that could "worsen" (or improve, depending on your perspective) the situation.

And so begins our journey into that ever widening vortex known as the "Rabbit Hole"....!!!;)

Me..... I'm enjoying every second of it!!:) Just ordered a 32-pen display/carry case, and will probably FILL it by February!! :rolleyes:

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

: : : insert: squeeeeeeeeeeeeling sounds of delirious joy : : :

The poor postman is going to be afraid of journeying to this end of the street, with me constantly waiting by the mailbox, bouncing on my tippy-toes in anticipation.... :bunny01: