A Demonstrator Piston Hero 100? ... Yes Sir

TimTheZaj

Hey Flounder, the pen is a good medium small size of relatively large girth for the length, in my opinion. I don't have any calipers but the section is very concave, so even with my big hands and fingers, I get an ideal section. It is really, really light weigh, especially for its size: 11 g capped. My nib was about 2.8 cm long when taken apart. It does feel pretty substantial and not cheap, but his can vary with which period the pen you get is from. The nib looks exactly like what I would think a traditional Chinese nib would look like: chinese characters, the golden star emblem, and 12k. I don't have a custom 912 available so I can't compare, but the jinxing, being a workhorse of China seems to be a one size fits all. It definitely has more girth than my Hero 100s. Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flounder

• TimTheZaj

• Jorge

• Seele

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi everybody!

Did any of you finally purchase any of those attractive piston-fillers? Did you receive them? Could you share your overall experience?

Thank you and cheers!

Those demonstrators are just crazy....but in a good way. Too bad they`re not exactly cheap.

Edit: i think i`m getting dizzy- i just saw a wooden "M800" piston filler, and it looks so good... :yikes:

Edited by rochester21

Oh, I didn't (not yet anyway) I smacked an alloy off a kerb during the January snow, so meant to put the cash towards another one. Then I spent it on vintage pens, some more ink, a USC... so it goes.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Sorry to hear that, Flounder. I hope things are getting back to normal and you are considering these offerings again ;)

I find them quite appealing (too much?) and unique, but, at the same time, somewhat risky and complex in terms of the purchasing process (no experience with TaoBao).

That is why I was looking forward for some comments/advice from one of our fellow FPN members having gone through the experience (Tim, maybe?)

Sorry to hear that, Flounder. I hope things are getting back to normal and you are considering these offerings again ;)

I find them quite appealing (too much?) and unique, but, at the same time, somewhat risky and complex in terms of the purchasing process (no experience with TaoBao).

That is why I was looking forward for some comments/advice from one of our fellow FPN members having gone through the experience (Tim, maybe?)

See my post above - ordering from TaoBao was fairly simple.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

http://i.imgur.com/Me5r5mP.jpg

Actual product converter Kit only.

I am sorry, but what am I looking at? Did you purchase it from Taobao? Is this Hero 100?

I am sorry, but what am I looking at? Did you purchase it from Taobao? Is this Hero 100?

Bought from the Tao Bao links of the main post.

Nib, collector, feed, and, cap is the excluded converter Kit.

I'm still not been received, and shipping agency sent me to a picture.

I think you have to buy a Hero 100 separately and then use the product from Taobao to convert it into a piston filler.

"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

• 2 weeks later...

According to usps I should be getting mine next week sometime. It till so long because apparently the Chinese post sent it to the wrong address, but it supposedly is in the USA now. I'll update when I finally get it. Anybody else follow my path ?

Edit for typo

Edited by TimTheZaj

• 2 weeks later...

My new baby has finally arrived: Pictures, alongside with my "other" Lamy2K, follow:

post-5609-0-65960500-1428671626_thumb.jpgpost-5609-0-90521100-1428671708_thumb.jpgpost-5609-0-30093300-1428671767_thumb.jpg

Some first thoughts:

- It is slightly shorter (2mm) than the original, and also a bit lighter, but offers quite a good sensation overall

- This model is delivered complete (includes nib, feeder,...)

- Takes ink and writes a nice EF right out of the box

- The clip seems original (it even includes the Lamy imprint, while fainter imprint than the original)

- Order TAT is just about 1 month

- Buying through an agent implies some $8.00 extra cost (shipping costs and comissions) on top of the list price

- If they are really built using a 3D printer, I think it is really fascinating

- I have just placed a new order for the Hero 616 model

- I think these models have to be considered as "fantasies" and by no means fakes or counterfeits

All the best!

Very cool and thanks for the detailed photos. I don't know enough about the process, is 3d printed stuff strong enough at threads etc? Or... stronger? I haven't a clue. The 616 photos I've seen looked a little funny at the hood-barrel junction.

Tim, I am sorry but my original Lamy is a medium, while the new one is an EF. All I can say, after very little use, is that it writes really EF (real Asian style), but is not scratchy at all. In terms of appearance, the original one looks clearly more solid, but, again, the new one seems OK enough.

Flounder, this Lamy Fantasy (I feel comfortable with this name) feels reasonably solid (while not as much as the original as I mentioned above).

I will comment on the 616 as soon as it lies in my hands (about one month from now?) :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

Tim, I am sorry but my original Lamy is a medium, while the new one is an EF. All I can say, after very little use, is that it writes really EF (real Asian style), but is not scratchy at all. In terms of appearance, the original one looks clearly more solid, but, again, the new one seems OK enough.

Flounder, this Lamy Fantasy (I feel comfortable with this name) feels reasonably solid (while not as much as the original as I mentioned above).

I will comment on the 616 as soon as it lies in my hands (about one month from now?) :unsure:

About a week earlier than expected, my new Hero 616 "Fantasy" has shown up in the mail.

Here are some pictures on its own and alongside one of my P51's for comparison:

post-5609-0-51774800-1430916035_thumb.jpg

post-5609-0-90645900-1430916127_thumb.jpgpost-5609-0-15442400-1430916226_thumb.jpg

post-5609-0-93911300-1430916303_thumb.jpg

Some first thoughts:

- It is the same size as an original H616 (Jumbo) and a P51 (while lighter in this case), and offers quite a good feeling overall

- This model is delivered complete (includes nib, feeder,...), as was the Lamy 2K Fantasy

- Takes ink and writes a nice EF right out of the box. Quite a "nail" as a regular good H616

- The gold-like cap does not have any line imprint as opposed to the original H616 cap. It is fully interchangeable with that of a P51 (a straightforward temptation, obviously)

- Order TAT has been just below 1 month

- Buying through an agent implies almost an $8.00 extra cost (shipping costs and comissions) on top of the list price

- I have just inked it with Waterman Inspired Blue (formerly Acqua Marine) to honour the very nice body colour, and it is very pleasant to write with (as long as you like the std. H616 writing).

In summary, another pleasant experience with this vendor's line following that of the Lamy 2K.

However, I am not sure whether I will still go on with other different models as tey are fairly expensive, but, you know, flesh is so weak...

All the best!