Tintenkuli (Rotring) 1928 Vintage And Modern Versions

piscov

Pen makers sometimes make re editions pens that I really like. This Rotring 1928 is one of those cases.

Recently I added one to my collection. It was launched in 1998, it is a limited edition and was produced by Visconti for Rotring to commemorate the 70 years of the brand.

rOtring was not named like that when it was founded in 1928 it was the Tintenkuli Handels GmbH but it become known by the name later on because of the red ring the pens had. "Rot Ring" is Red Ring in German.

The model launched in 1928 was named the Tintenkuli or simply Tiku. It become the standard for technical design and most old school engineers will remember using them to draw projects. Autocad in the late 80´s marked the start of the decline in its use, but rOtring still produces them today and calls them Rapidograph.

I have never used them professionally as I am a Autocad era engineer but still remember seeing them in use my university degree time. After sometime collecting pens I starting acquiring them and I have now a fairly extensive collection of the pre 1960 models. The most appealing models for me are the candy celluloid ones and yesterday I got the chance to buy the 1928 that is made of a looking like celluloid.

It looks great, it´s huge, feels great in the hand, it´s a Sheaffer's style plunger filler<_< instead of a piston like the old Tintenkulis, and the design is very appealing for me. On top of that the "new" 1928 comes with two writing tips a regular nib and the typical stylographic one.

Here are the pictures of the old style and the "new" 1928

Cheers

Vasco

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w580/Vasco_Correia_Pisco/INGENIVM-PC/Rotring%201928/IMG_1311_zpsc381b466.jpg

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w580/Vasco_Correia_Pisco/INGENIVM-PC/Rotring%201928/IMG_1310_zps834c169c.jpg

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w580/Vasco_Correia_Pisco/INGENIVM-PC/Rotring%201928/IMG_1313_zpsb3a56910.jpg

Edited by piscov

Best regards
Vasco

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w580/Vasco_Correia_Pisco/INGENIVM-PC/Avatar/simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• piscov

• fountainbel

• ehemem

• snevellicci

Stunning pens! rotring was my gate way into the fountain pen hobby. I wish they still made pens as being a fellow engineer I really liked the fact that a sort engineering heritage.

It looks unlikely that the rotring fine writing line will ever be resurrected however part is still holding out hope that there might be a special edition bringing back e.g. 600 line of fountain pens for the 100 anniversary in 13 years time.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 1928. It is quite a large, substantial pen.

Do you Have the original vintage one, or the modern LE version ?

I have an LE pen and found the filling system is terrible,only takes 0.5ml of ink

The telfon cup seal of the vacuum filler sets after a while and does not create a vacuum anymore.

I've altered the system, making the barrel bore larger and replaced the telfon seal with my "shifting O Ring" vacuum head.

Works perfectly now and tales 1.5ml of ink.

Francis

Hi Francis,

I have both and although I have never filled the LE the filling system makes quite a good vacuum judging by the "pop" sound it makes when the piston goes down all the way.

I am not a big fan of altering the pen to non original status ( except parts that are made to be replaced like nylons for corks or orings...) but if it´s the only solution then it needs to be done. In this case probably a smaller oring could do the trick and the barrel could remain in the original condition.

But increasing the ink capacity 3 fold is a huge improvement!! :thumbup:

Only 0,5ml of ink in such a big pen is really low. They probably made the pen not to be used that often. I would prefer it to have a larger ink capacity similar to the one you improved

Best regards
Vasco

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w580/Vasco_Correia_Pisco/INGENIVM-PC/Avatar/simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Hi Francis,

Perfect that way it keeps the pen in original condition sand fully reversible if someone wants to go back to the "bad" original gasket.

The repair is easy to make and the owner can just do it itself provided that he gets the oring unit from you.

You know I an a fan of your fantastic work and I really like the fact that you share the technical solution and how it´s made, and that is CLASS!! Oh, and your technical drawings are the reference for pen repairs!

Thank you!!

Best regards
Vasco

I have an LE pen and found the filling system is terrible,only takes 0.5ml of ink

The telfon cup seal of the vacuum filler sets after a while and does not create a vacuum anymore.

I've altered the system, making the barrel bore larger and replaced the telfon seal with my "shifting O Ring" vacuum head.

Francis

I have the LE version, but it has been packed away and isn't in rotation and hasn't been in use for years. If memory serves, I think I got a pretty good fill without any problem. And I'm pretty sure I also have an original or 2 somewhere in my collection, but I have never really attempted to fill them, let alone use them...

• 1 year later...

Francis

Hello Francis,

I have owned a ROTRING 1928 LE for a couple of years and i have the heart-breaking problem with it's filling system which makes the pen practically unusable.

I've noticed through previous posts from other members - as well as from your own post - that you actually have a solution to this problem.

I would be very grateful if you could let me know how can i have my own pen fixed!

many thanks and all the best,

Constantin

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
On 1/26/2015 at 1:57 AM, fountainbel said:

Hi Vasco,

Just remembered that Ive also made a solution were the inner barrel diameter stays as original

See :

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/138580-repairingmaking-of-the-rotringgoossens-limited-edition-uber-vac/

Francis

Francis, are you still performing this alteration? Would love it to be done to my Rotring, but a little clueless 🥲