I Copper Plated My Chipped & Scratched Lamy Studio

pringle

So I got my Studio as a Christmas present last Christmas and fell in love. I used it everyday at School and the clip ended up scraping the paint off around it and it got some other chips and scrapes. I eventually stripped all the paint off and used it bare metal for a while but just found its appearance a bit boring. Now I'm on my Christmas break so decided I needed a fountain pen related project so I gave copper plating a go. Never done any chemistry or copper plating before but for a first try and a cost around £3.50, I'd say it worked out great. What do you guys think of it?

http://i.imgur.com/NlucEd2.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/8mhuQAn.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert Alan

• Anne-Sophie

• RMN

• OakIris

Looks great! They should consider this finish.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Very nice looking and well done!

Did you put any sort of overcoat on it to prevent the copper from oxidizing or are you cool with the changes that occur with oxidation of copper? (Imagining a greenish looking pen after a bit, but I have never had a pen or pencil with copper plating, so I'm not sure what will happen with the nice shiny copper look that the pen has now.) Also, any worries about the copper reacting with ink?

Anyway, great looking pen! Perhaps you could share with us how you went about the plating process when you get a chance? Never really considered doing any "home plating" but now I am intrigued!

Holly

Very nice looking and well done!

Did you put any sort of overcoat on it to prevent the copper from oxidizing or are you cool with the changes that occur with oxidation of copper? (Imagining a greenish looking pen after a bit, but I have never had a pen or pencil with copper plating, so I'm not sure what will happen with the nice shiny copper look that the pen has now.) Also, any worries about the copper reacting with ink?

Anyway, great looking pen! Perhaps you could share with us how you went about the plating process when you get a chance? Never really considered doing any "home plating" but now I am intrigued!

Holly

No overcoat, I want to see how a patina develops.

I don't think the copper will come in contact with ink so not many worries about that

How I plated it

1. Took it apart and removed the paint with a razor blade.

2. Got a glass Jar and filled it with water, I then added copper sulfate pentahydrate until the solution was fully saturated.

3. Got a battery holder for 4 AA batteries.

4. Attached a 2 Pence coin from the 70s to the positive wire and placed it at the bottom of the jar

5. Attached the negative wire to the bit of the pen being plated

6. Gave it a while, maybe 30 minutes to plate.

7. Went over it with a high grit sandpaper, I think 2500/3000 wet and dry

8. Polished and reassembled.

Overall it cost me about £5 as 250g of the copper sulfate pentahydrate cost like £3 on ebay, in the future I would reduce the voltage as 6v was relatively uneven, 3v or 1.5v would take longer but produce a much more even coating. First time I have ever done anything like this and I'm pretty happy with the results.

I hope you keep us updated with photos if (when??) the copper begins to develop a patina - it might look really cool! I am not particularly sloppy when filling/using a fountain pen, but occasionally a bit of ink does get on a barrel/cap, etc., thus my question about the copper reacting to the ink.

Thank you for the detailed info about how you plated your Studio - sounds quite doable, even by me! I don't currently have a pen, etc., that would benefit from being replated but it is nice to know that it can be done at home if necessary. :thumbup:

Holly

That's amazing! The final product looks fantastic.

It's quite nice out here in the sunshine...

Wow! What a gorgeous modification! I'd imagine that would be a very unique conversation starter!

I wonder if anyone's done something like this with other pens--Safaris, or the Hero knock-off, or or or. Can you plate over plastic? What about rubber, or resin, or acrylic, or....?

Edited by Miz Black Crow

Girl Sam

(It used to be Sammi with a heart drawn over the I, but I stopped because absolutely everyone was doing it)

Looks great,

I love it when the members have projects like that.

A bit like member Force repainting his Waterman Carenes....

Well done

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Beautiful result! If The chance arises I'll certainly be thinking of trying this. If you were to put an overcoat on how would you go about that?

That is very cool, and also something I've always wanted to try, though it never occurred to me to try it on a fountain pen.

Thank you for posting your process! I may just have to give this a try on a few scrap pieces for practice.

Your pen looks fantastic!

John L

So cool! I had no idea you could do that at home.

As others have said, let us know how the finish holds up.

Hmm.... my 2 year old Parson's Italix has started to flake in places and show the brass underneath. I wonder if this process would work on it?

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

That's why it's called the present