The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Handwriting Arabic Script

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 antikva

antikva

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2014 - 15:07

Hi!

A couple of weeks ago, I started learning Arabic and I'm almost done learning the alphabet. However, there's a couple of things I've never got my head around with the script, such as what height the letters should take and what slant. It confuses me that final د seems to take a different slant than ا, which seems to take a different slant than initial/medial ك for example.

Is there anywhere I can see exactly what proportions and slant the letters should have?

(I have more questions, but I'll start with this one.)

Sponsored Content

#2 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,881 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2014 - 15:24

If you hunt further down in this forum, SMK has a thread full of How To videos. I think the thread was Learning to Write Arabic

#3 basterma

basterma

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2014 - 17:42

Do a search for "writing Arabic Calligraphy" on Youtube. I learned it when in Middle School and didn't write it long enough to acquire a decent handwriting, otherwise I'd help you out. My handwriting looks like that of a fifth grader... Good Luck with it. When you are more comfortable with it, look into taking courses at The American University in Cairo. They have a good (but pricey) programme at their Arabic Learning Institute.

#4 smk

smk

Antique

• FPN Tech. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2014 - 18:35

Welcome to FPN antikva. We have a few members who can write Arabic here so you'll get good feedback.

GP - thanks for reminding me of that thread - it generated some interest for a while. Here it is for anyone interested: Learn to write Arabic.

antikva - the letter combinations can be a bit tricky. The typical progression of learning to write Arabic is to learn the individual letters, followed by each letter in the initial form joined to all remaining letters and finally to forming small words. This usually is enough to give one a good understanding of how the ligatures are formed. I'm afraid I cannot give you a general answer for the differing slant on 'daal' and 'alif' - the 'daal' looks similar to a '>' sign joined near the middle. If the top part is straightened, it will look like a 'raa'. 

Riqa, although a calligraphic script, is a good foundation for Arabic handwriting. You might find this workbook useful in giving you an idea of how to join letters: Riqa workbook on Scribd.

Feel free to ask about specific joins if they are giving you trouble and I will be happy to help.

- Salman

I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Store :: Instagram :: Blog

#5 Kandil

Kandil

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:38

Hello , 

You will find good examples in this site www.arabic-calligraphy.com

Regards

Ahmed Kandil

#6 sintein

sintein

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 20:37

This series of videos كيف تحسن خطك بالقلم العادي is great for learning how to write Arabic like a native/adult. I recommend them to everybody who asks me how to write normally. 

Sponsored Content

|