Noodler's Squeteague

WriterNat

Okay, this is silly, but I wrote a limerick about an ink. What's worse, I wrote it with a calligraphy pen b/c all my pens were freshly inked.

So with my apologies to poets everywhere, and to my parents for this misuse of my English degree, here goes:

http://www.nataliecooper.com/images/squeteaguepoem.jpg

:lol:

Natalie Cooper

~~~~~~~~~~

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCat

• WriterNat

• Eternally Noodling

• Leslie J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job, Natalie! Your nice large scan and nice italic hand show off the ink very well.

:) Ann

Excellent! A very creative way to show us a new ink. How does it flow & how quick does it dry - like most other Noodler's?

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Very nice, Natalie. I like Squeteague. It looks really nice in a flexible nib also. It is one of those inks that cries out for shading and variation so you can see its subtle tones.

Southpaw - I would say that it does have the same flow/drying characteristics of most Noodler's inks.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Great job with the lettering! :) BTW, how do you pronounce Squeteague? Phonetics anyone? I'm sure I'm adding an extra syllable at least. :P

Never lie to your dog.

Thanks everybody!

Southpaw -- it flows very nicely and dries a bit faster than some of the Noodler's I've used; the reds tend to be a little slower I think. But the fast drying could also be b/c I was using a dip pen. I don't think I'd use this with a real wet-writer.

KCat, I agree that the italic hand shows off its variations nicely -- I'm embarrassed to say that I thought this color was a teal-black based on the Noodler's color chart! What a nice surprise when I actually tried it. :)

I'm enjoying getting back into calligraphy after being too busy with my kids for the past couple of years. Maybe I'll post to Penmanship soon and see what advice I can get!

Natalie Cooper

~~~~~~~~~~

Great job with the lettering! :) BTW, how do you pronounce Squeteague? Phonetics anyone? I'm sure I'm adding an extra syllable at least. :P

Um, my guess is "sque-teeg". Could be wrong, but if I am then my limerick makes even less sense. :blush:

Natalie Cooper

~~~~~~~~~~

just like it's spelled. :D :lol: :D

seriously though...

two syllables only

skwih - teeg.

It's Algonquian.

KCat

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

According to Webster's, "squeteague" is "any of several weakfishes". And KCat's right, it's from Narragansett, an Algonquian dialect.

My husband is mostly Native American on both sides of his family, but it's Cherokee/Choctaw (more southern tribes). He says if an Indian word doesn't begin with "ch" or "tch" he can't help you. :)

Natalie Cooper

~~~~~~~~~~

Somehow "Weakfish Green" wouldn't have the same ring to it.

John (Laridae)

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Thanks! I thought Squeteague was a type of tree actually. :doh:

I think you are thinking of Sequoia.

kathy wc

We find rest in those we love, and we provide a resting place in ourselves for those who love us.--Bernard of Clairvaux

Actually Kathy, I was thinking Squeteague was a type of Sequoia. :P I think I was pronouncing it something like seh-quig-it-gway. That's more West Coast Haida or Salish-y sounding. ;)

Never lie to your dog.

• 2 months later...

seriously though...

two syllables only

skwih - teeg.

It's Algonquian.

Exactly. Named after the "sea trout" - a hard fish to land as it is a challenge to keep on the hook during the fight. It is always a challenging fish to catch, especially in New England. Chuck Swisher has an easier time of it further down the coast where they are much more plentiful.

It was one of the earliest Noodler's colors. Not exactly a teal...but close. The back of the sea trout has the exact same color seconds after the fish has jumped out of the water - while it is glistening with a coat of tidal water in direct sunlight. There was no other accurate name for the color or the way it flowed across the page...just like a Squeteague slipping away from the end of my line in the shadows of a tidal flat.

"The pen is mightier than the sword."

The pen could be mightier than the thief and the gun if it is filled with a bulletproof ink too!

May be available again soon, I hope...but not at the moment:

Specialty Fountain Pen Nibs - click here

I guess you could also call it "Weakfish Blue" (using another name for the fish).

(Sorry - couldn't resist ;) )

J. Appleseed

Edited by Johnny Appleseed

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

seriously though...

two syllables only

skwih - teeg.

It's Algonquian.

Exactly. Named after the "sea trout" - a hard fish to land as it is a challenge to keep on the hook during the fight. It is always a challenging fish to catch, especially in New England. Chuck Swisher has an easier time of it further down the coast where they are much more plentiful.

It was one of the earliest Noodler's colors. Not exactly a teal...but close. The back of the sea trout has the exact same color seconds after the fish has jumped out of the water - while it is glistening with a coat of tidal water in direct sunlight. There was no other accurate name for the color or the way it flowed across the page...just like a Squeteague slipping away from the end of my line in the shadows of a tidal flat.

Well I'll be damned. I'd been wondering what that name was all about. Should have searched this site for it.

t!

flippin' like a pancake

poppin' like a cork

those lovely (sarcasm) "weak" mouths. Our Gulf version has a couple of nasty teeth on it (assume yours does too), but the mouth is, for lack of expert terminology, "slotted" which makes for not much tissue to get the hook into unless they swallow it.

I don't think ours are as striking (no pun intended) but they are a fun challenge to catch. 'Round here they hit better on live shrimp it seems. I've only caught a couple in my lifetime, probably mostly because i use dead bait.

but i helped clean several dozen of them (and croaker) about 20 years ago. They're a pain for that too as most of the meat is high on the dorsal side making it hard to get a good, flat filet.

can't help but wonder (oops sneaking into politicalish stuff) if overfishing has something to do with how few i've caught as well.

of course, fishing expertise is an added problem.

KCat

can't help but wonder (oops sneaking into politicalish stuff) if overfishing has something to do with how few i've caught as well.

Or pollution and other environmental issues. :)

Despite living in the land of 10,000 lakes, I don't fish much anymore; mercury and pesticide levels in most of the lakes are ridiculously high, and, as for the Mississippi River... not downstream of Minneapolis and their "combined" sewers that flow into it. :(

Or pollution and other environmental issues. :)

Despite living in the land of 10,000 lakes, I don't fish much anymore; mercury and pesticide levels in most of the lakes are ridiculously high, and, as for the Mississippi River... not downstream of Minneapolis and their "combined" sewers that flow into it. :(

Catch and release! It's good for you AND the fish! lol

"The pen is mightier than the sword."

The pen could be mightier than the thief and the gun if it is filled with a bulletproof ink too!

May be available again soon, I hope...but not at the moment:

Specialty Fountain Pen Nibs - click here