The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sheaffer No Nonsense Or Vintage?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pencils+pens

pencils+pens

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2013 - 19:40

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

These pens were labeled as No Nonsense. However, the gold plated trim lead me to believe that they really were Sheaffer Vintage, the upscale version of the No Nonsense. So I gambled and bought the lot.

The pens arrived today and they are beautiful. Two are fine points, my favorite size, and the other is a medium.

The gold trim is the top button, clip and nib. They are nicely marbled and polished better than any No Nonsense I own. The seller included 5 cartridges, 2 more than promised.

So do you think they are No Nonsense or Vintage?

Sponsored Content

#2 rochester21

rochester21

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2013 - 20:15

Never heard of the sheaffer "vintage" model. But, if you already have a no nonsense and these pens, can`t you just compare them and figure out? are the nibs the same? 

However, i have seen pens like the ones from the pictures before, they were still labelled as being no nonsense-s.  Anyway, i know that is are more than one variant of this model. 

Edited by rochester21, 18 June 2013 - 20:18.

#3 Haribon

Haribon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2013 - 20:54

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

These pens were labeled as No Nonsense. However, the gold plated trim lead me to believe that they really were Sheaffer Vintage, the upscale version of the No Nonsense. So I gambled and bought the lot.

The pens arrived today and they are beautiful. Two are fine points, my favorite size, and the other is a medium.

The gold trim is the top button, clip and nib. They are nicely marbled and polished better than any No Nonsense I own. The seller included 5 cartridges, 2 more than promised.

So do you think they are No Nonsense or Vintage?

An upscale variant of the No Nonsense. Now, you have to hunt for a Vintage Solid Black to complete the line up! To confuse you further, the red and green marbles were also offered together (bundled with a bottle of ink) by Levenger as "Festive Pens." Same pen, different name.

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

#4 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,003 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2013 - 21:26

An upscale variant of the No Nonsense. Now, you have to hunt for a Vintage Solid Black to complete the line up! To confuse you further, the red and green marbles were also offered together (bundled with a bottle of ink) by Levenger as "Festive Pens." Same pen, different name.

Oh, good.  ANOTHER variation on the theme. :wacko:

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

#5 pencils+pens

pencils+pens

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2013 - 22:57

Never heard of the sheaffer "vintage" model.

Aside from threads here, evidence for a Vintage model:

Pen Hero Sheaffer NoNonsense 1969-Present by Jim Mamoulides 8/29/03 - Updated 11/22/03 http://www.penhero.c...rNoNonsense.htm

The Captain's Cabin Walter Chang Sheaffer Page http://captainchang....s/sheaffer.html

From what I can piece together, the No Nonsense (original screw cap) family consists of:

No Nonsense
No Nonsense Gemtone - brighter plastic and chrome cap tops
No Nonsense Kaleidoscope - graphics on the barrel and/or cap

No Nonsense in lineage but marketed as its own model:

Vintage - gold trim
Old Timer - Vintage with chased rubber look
Guys & Dolls - White Dot and three "mod" colors. The Doll is a ring top
Connaisseur
Sheaffer/Levenger "Seas" - Connaisseur variant

I don't know if the Viewpoint and Jellies were marketed as No Nonsense or not. I also don't know if either of them are the older screw cap or only slip caps. {see update}

Of the list above I have several original No Nonsense, a few Gemtones and I think my first Vintage pens.

"Duh" or update moment. I just "discovered" a Viewpoint screw-cap model in my collection. So that answers that question. I don't know if they were marketed as No Nonsense Viewpoints or just as Viewpoints.

Edited by pencils+pens, 19 June 2013 - 01:16.

#6 harlequin-RIH

harlequin-RIH

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:57

Just in case you are still wondering, yes, those are Vintages.  There is another Vintage, the black version (obviously without marbling) like Pincel mentioned.  

#7 pencils+pens

pencils+pens

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:53

Just in case you are still wondering, yes, those are Vintages.  There is another Vintage, the black version (obviously without marbling) like Pincel mentioned.

I was still wondering and thanks.

#8 Spitzner

Spitzner

Sondhead

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:59

The "solid black" vintage is called a Le Black (which has a special gift box); it is not marbled. There is also a Le Burgundy (not sure if it also has a box), also not marbled. The Le Black and Le Burguny are a scosh longer than the No Nonsense, but the nibs are all interchangeable.

I love the whole series; they are my go-to pens. I have WAAAAY too many. :P

Pam

#9 harlequin-RIH

harlequin-RIH

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,791 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:12

The "solid black" vintage is called a Le Black (which has a special gift box); it is not marbled. There is also a Le Burgundy (not sure if it also has a box), also not marbled. The Le Black and Le Burguny are a scosh longer than the No Nonsense, but the nibs are all interchangeable.

I love the whole series; they are my go-to pens. I have WAAAAY too many. :P

Pam

Not entirely.  The Le Black and black Vintage are two different pens, the Le Black is not exactly the same as a black Vintage.  You named one reason, the Le Black is longer.  It is also heavier.  The biggest difference is that the Le Black has the end of the cap and barrel filled in with a plug, where as the Vintage has the same barrel end as the other NNSes but a gold cap button, like the other Vintages.  Of course, the Le Black is a lot harder to find as well as more expensive when you do ^_~.

Check out this page (a great NNS & Sheaffer reference!) for pics of both, to see the differences: SheafferTarga.com

#10 barleycorn

barleycorn

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2013 - 19:22

Not entirely.  The Le Black and black Vintage are two different pens, the Le Black is not exactly the same as a black Vintage.  You named one reason, the Le Black is longer.  It is also heavier.  The biggest difference is that the Le Black has the end of the cap and barrel filled in with a plug, where as the Vintage has the same barrel end as the other NNSes but a gold cap button, like the other Vintages.  Of course, the Le Black is a lot harder to find as well as more expensive when you do ^_~.

Check out this page (a great NNS & Sheaffer reference!) for pics of both, to see the differences: SheafferTarga.com

I received what I thought was a black vintage in trade for a Pelikan 200.  It seems it is actually a Le Black in mint condition.  Now I feel a bit better.  Nice weight to the pen similar to the SS body pen.

#11 Spitzner

Spitzner

Sondhead

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:13

Harlequin, you're right. But you make me happy, since I have both, and they're NIB. Including the Le Black.

Pam

#12 harlequin-RIH

harlequin-RIH

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,791 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 22:35

I could have gotten a LeBlack very recently, but I just wasn't really that enthused about spending so much compared to a black Vintage, since there is almost no difference unless you know what to look for.  Plus, it didn't have the gold plated nib, so I would have had to find one of those as well.  I have the Le Burgandy though, which I like quite a bit ^_^.

Sponsored Content

|