Nib Crud

JefferyS

I have seen nib creep with Black Swan in Australian Roses, and small amount of nib crud with Diamine Pumpkin. The photo below is a Gate City Belmont with BSAR loaded in it.

Do I have a leaky nib or something? I've never gotten this degree of crud before.

post-59122-0-59297000-1364661974.jpg

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JefferyS

• JonSzanto

• mirosc

• Pterodactylus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What the :cloud9: ?

ETA: How the heck did that happen? SITB? Did you leave it out for like... a year?

My mind struggles to understand how that could even be a thing that happens at all.

Edited by tripcode

Just remember you have to destroy the brain! roflmho.gif

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

The last time I used it was Wednesday afternoon. I pulled it out to sign a "received" notice at my local postal place and saw that.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Just remember you have to destroy the brain! roflmho.gif

It looks like one of Darrel's arrows that has just been pulled out of a brain.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I had an early bottle of Noodler's 41 brown. This ink worked quite well in Parker 51s, Pelikans, Cross Solos and Montblancs. I used it an Esterbrook and the nib creep was fast and filled the cap with ink. I tried it in various other Esterbrooks with a variety of nibs, 2442, 9460, 2312, 9284, 9314-B, -F, 9668, 2668, in Js and LJs and a M2, and all had the same result, nib creep to where the cap had a lot of brown ink in it in a couple of days. Other Noodler's inks work perfectly in these pens. I concluded there was something wrong with this bottle of ink to which Esterbrook feeds were susceptible and tossed the ink.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

If it were Black Swan in Cranberry Sauce, I could see it.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

My bottle of Diamine Ancient Copper has done the same thing in every pen I've tried, though maybe to a slightly lesser degree. But your example looks especially brutal!

Forget the brain, I think you might need to cleanse the whole thing in a mighty fire.

Only one thing to do now :gaah:...... Nuke it from space.:ninja:

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

Interesting that you noticed it also on Diamine Pumpkin.

I observed something similar with Akkerman Oranje Boven today (was there from one day to the next)

I'm convinced that Diamine manufactures the Akkerman inks and the observation that it happens with both Oranges is another puzzle part.

But it was not something like in your picture.... But who knows if we let it grow it might transform into something like that.....

Can that be considered an ITD (inkually transmitted disease)?

Gilberto Castañeda

If it were Black Swan in Cranberry Sauce, I could see it.

:roflmho:

I had a GREEN ink do that to me years ago. Don't recall which but it wasn't a Noodler's. Might have been a Diamine but could just as easily have been PR. There was nothing in the bottle. IIRC it was a pen that had a tendency to dry out easily.

At the time, I could have sworn it was a fungus but y'all have convinced me it is a crystal growth. Without access to a microscope to be absolutely certain...

That's mighty ugly, that is.

Either way (fungus or crystal) it doesn't require a leak. Just good surfactants (to pull the ink along the surface of the nib and feed) and the right environment to grow one or the other. Crystals and fungi can grow very quickly and "crawl" as they grow just by way of their need to take up space.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Can that be considered an ITD (inkually transmitted disease)?

:roflmho:

:sick: Did you add yeast to the ink? IT'S ALIVE! :sick:

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

And I was actually considering that ink.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

Hopefully the pen is ok! Looks like you tried to eat some red velvet cake with that nib...

Was also thinking of getting a sample of that ink soon

Jason's current collection: Lamy Safari, TWSBI Diamond 540, Pilot 78G, Noodler's Nib Creaper, Noodler's Konrad, Parker 45, Parker 75, Camlin 47, Hero 329, Sheaffer NoNonsense, FPR Dilli, Pilot Parallel, Esterbrook SJ, Wearever Deluxe, Waterman Skywriter

Well, Jeffery, you already know the ink and how it behaves in your pens, so you just have to start thinking about what might have been different, starting from when you filled the pen last.

It would be REALLY interesting to get some smart heads together on a particular subject: why is it that these cruds / crystalizations / creeps / buildups / deposits seem to happen, by a great degree of preponderance, with red / orange inks? Besides the above mentioned inks (not counting the green outlier), I've also see this with J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hemetite, and most recently with Montblanc Mahatma Gandhi (a saffron-hued ink). There really must be some component in the dye spectrum for those inks that wants to gain solidarity over time. I opened the cap of a fine-nibbed inexpensive German pen one day that had been inked with De Atramentis Oriental Red, and it looked like ice crystals on a frozen lake - long crystalline structures had almost filled the area bounded by the cap, all growing off the nib, all in a day or two after no problems for a while.

Quite fun, under certain circumstances. Red inks aren't easy.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Hey Jon,

I'm pretty sure the crud was my fault. BSAR has always creeped on my nibs, but just a film of ink, no crystals. A week ago, I got over-enthusiastic while cleaning a Gate City Belmont, and pooted the nib and feed right off the end. I replaced them, but perhaps not correctly.

Don't blame the ink on this one. BSAR has been a good ink for me in the past. I need to compare that Belmont to another to see if I put it back together accurately.

Jeffery

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Good to hear, J. BSAR has also never been a problem for me, and it was one of the first inks I bought going into all this, about 2 years ago. Always have at least one pen with it loaded up.

Best of luck.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin