Black Inks With Sheen?

K. Cakes

A while ago I was browsing the lovely "Inks With Sheen" thread and came across two black inks with lovely sheen :puddle: Aurora and Waterman black. I've heard Waterman isn't really all that dark so I haven't jumped at the chance to try it (but I stuck a sample in my cart anyway), and Aurora has been out of stock everywhere for what feels like ages. I think I've checked the Goulets everyday for the past few weeks waiting for it to come back in stock.

I've had a cart full of samples just waiting to be checked-out and I'm getting a bit impatient ;) so I think I'm just going to go ahead and order now, and pick up Aurora when its back in stock.

So my question is, do you know of any other blacks I could try? And also, if I added a dark sheen-y ink (like Eclipse) to a black, do you think the sheen would still be pronounced?

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• K. Cakes

• Intensity

• ScarletWoodland

• notbob

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sailor Kiwa-guro has a matt dark grey sheen when viewed at an angle, though it's probably not the different-colour brassing you're looking for. Superb ink, though.

It's gotta be saturated enough to have little pools.

Lamy Black has -or at least had- iron gall, which gave it a red sheen. It also flows very well.

Eclipse has a yellow sheen

Basically, sheens are interference colors that are complementary of whatever color the ink is, but not always.

I'd imagine that teal blacks have magenta sheens and warm blacks would have cool-tinted sheens.

The faintest ink is more powerful than the strongest memory - Chinese proverb

Dioxazine Letter Tracker

Sailor Kiwa-guro has a matt dark grey sheen when viewed at an angle, though it's probably not the different-colour brassing you're looking for. Superb ink, though.

Really? I have Sailor Nano Black but haven't noticed any sheen. I only use it in an extra fine Sailor pen though, perhaps I should give it a try in a wider nib.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

It's gotta be saturated enough to have little pools.

Lamy Black has -or at least had- iron gall, which gave it a red sheen. It also flows very well.

Eclipse has a yellow sheen

Basically, sheens are interference colors that are complementary of whatever color the ink is, but not always.

I'd imagine that teal blacks have magenta sheens and warm blacks would have cool-tinted sheens.

I love Eclipse's sheen, but it isn't a true black. I added a sample of Diamine onyx (I assume its best to mix inks of the same brand), and am going to try adding some of that to Eclipse until its dark enough. Hopefully the sheen will still be noticeable.

Private Reserve Velvet Black gets a sheen, Kaweco Black will too but it's cartridge only.

Thank you! I'll be trying out both of these.

• 4 weeks later...

Is true. PR Ebony Blue (which looks blue when filling but writes out as a teal black in most medium or wet nibs) has a reddish-purplish sheen. PR Ebony Green threw an interesting gilded sheen in thicker strokes of the Pilot Custom 74 with soft fine nib I just acquired from Edwaroth.

I would like to add that the paper used can also affect the amount of sheen that is visible in the finished product. Highly absorbent papers produce far less sheen than coated or less absorbent papers will, even with inks that are known to produce sheen.

+1 on the PR Velvet Black....

Here's my photo of Pilot black ink sheen:

fpn_1362106835__blk_pilot_shn.jpg

This from a 1.5mm Pilot Parallel Pen inked with stock black Pilot cartridge ink on Tomoe River white paper.

In daylight on CF paper, the sheen appears to be a silver and is very difficult to discern, even with a mag glass. With my camera, TR paper, and a fluorescent lamp, I was quite surprised to see how well sheen shows up.

nulla dies sine linea

This from a 1.5mm Pilot Parallel Pen inked with stock black Pilot cartridge ink on Tomoe River white paper.

In daylight on CF paper, the sheen appears to be a silver and is very difficult to discern, even with a mag glass. With my camera, TR paper, and a fluorescent lamp, I was quite surprised to see how well sheen shows up.

That's incredible! It looks like straight gold ink.

To update - I tried a ton of different blacks (sheen and non-sheen) and have come to the following conclusions (please note this was a completely unscientific study). Aurora Black is indeed the blackest black I have ever tried on everything except copy paper, where for some odd reason Noodler's basic black shows up darkest. But from Moleskine to Tomoe River and everything in between Aurora is hands down the blackest. Unfortunately its just too wet for me, it makes my tiny handwriting almost indecipherable. PR Invincible Black is next up in terms of darkness, followed closely by J. Herbin's Perle Noire.

And as for the sheen, Private Reserve's Velvet Black wins no-contest! Its actually a very dark saturated black but the heavy golden sheen (even in a Pilot XF) makes the ink come off a bit lighter than it actually is. Aurora has a sheen as well, but it only seems noticeable if you're looking for it.

Edited by K. Cakes

I hath met my sheeny equal… :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

:thumbup:

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

Diamine Onyx black has a nice green sheen--stains some ink view windows though--if you care about such things.

www.stevelightart.com

I hath met my sheeny equal…

I'd like to thank....... ;)

Hah! It's all yer doing, mrphoto. You got me into this sheen chasing silliness. I jes ordered the entire Sailor sample. They're all going under the light. BTB, I'd like to personally thank you for motivating me to finally learn how to fully utilize my insanely complex digital camera. Even harder than figuring out how to stop my DVD player's date light flashing ...which I've yet to do.

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't extend major kudos and thanks to shaylenwilliams. I shall not rest until I can duplicate the absolutely astonishing colors and hues he captured from Sailor Sky Blue, as seen in article #158 of his visionary "Inks With A "sheen"" thread. Here's a black sheen for you, shaylen. ;)

(might I suggest that particular thread be pinned)

nulla dies sine linea

There is thread about all inks with sheen. Several blacks have already been mentioned : http://www.fountainp...ost__p__2022681

Yes, thanks. I mentioned that in the first sentence of my post.

• 5 years later...

Bit of a necropost but I just pulled out some Tomoe River and had a shock.

Either there was something in my coffee or the free black cartridges that came with my cheapy Manuscript calligraphy set... have holographic sheen!post-147776-0-29086400-1550159997_thumb.jpg

Is this a thing? I can't tell if the free carts are the Manuscript Black ones you can buy, not having a pack myself. Has anyone else seen this?post-147776-0-71494100-1550160275_thumb.jpg

The upload has mangled the pics quite a bit but hopefully you can still see.

Edited by ScarletWoodland

Bit of a necropost but I just pulled out some Tomoe River and had a shock.

Either there was something in my coffee or the free black cartridges that came with my cheapy Manuscript calligraphy set... have holographic sheen!attachicon.gif 20190214_155918.jpg

Is this a thing? I can't tell if the free carts are the Manuscript Black ones you can buy, not having a pack myself. Has anyone else seen this?attachicon.gif 20190214_154231.jpg

The upload has mangled the pics quite a bit but hopefully you can still see.

Interesting, that almost looks like fine metallic glitter-type particles. Looking at Manuscript black cartridge ink description though, there's nothing about inclusion of shimmer particles.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.”