Pen Primer: Nib Shapes And Styles

Dillo

Hi,

Having worked on nibs, I have seen many different styles of nibs. Here is a list of the styles I have on hand:

Semi hooded-As one can see, part of the nib slit is covered by the hood. Only a small part of it is covered.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8502/8314074255_fbb04a6619_b.jpg

Fully hooded-The majority of the nib slit is covered by the hood.

[topic-"235633"]Parker 51 Demi[/topic]

You can see a hooded nib in the third picture down. Hari's picture makes it very clear that a significant part of the nib is covered by the hood.

Hooded nib

Shrouded-A lot of the nib can be seen. This is the bottom nib in this picture. Clearly not an open nib though. This is very popular in Japanese pens

Dart style-This is a nib where then breather hole can be seen, but just barely. This is the middle pen in the picture. Pilot calls this nib the dart nib

Fingernail-This is the nib on the top. The nib is set in the grip section very much like a fingernail. Most of the nib is actually visible. These nibs do not have clips under them to secure them to the feed unlike many shrouded nibs.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8361/8315240220_a46d3d8620_b.jpg

This is another fingernail style nib-the nib is held in place by pressure of the feed and the grip shell:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3047/3007273610_3f022f9615_b.jpg

Open nibs come in a variety of styles:

Not your garden variety open nib-A Pelikano nib

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8440/8017505608_7dc975f640_b.jpg

A more tubular open nib design:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8159/7622989250_e31a4a93c6_b.jpg

Yet another type of open nib-the Lamy nib: These nibs are clearly open nibs but are clipped in place under the feed. The Aurora Hastil has a nib like this as well as do some Sailor pens

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3450/3373793000_d6e71653ff_z.jpg?zz=1

A Sailor pen with a clipped-on open nib:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8072/8315277046_216a8f6a17_b.jpg

The Pilot Elabo/Falcon has an open nib of an odd shape, but it is still clearly an open-nibbed design. I am not a number has a great picture of it.

Falcon nib

Now, no discussion would be complete without a picture of a regular open nib of the most normal type. We have the two Nakaya nibs on the right.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7116/7681497584_54d9cf62f4_b.jpg

Next we have the integral nib-the full grip section is the nib. This is leftmost pen.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3165/2958554817_8b2ee4d690_b.jpg

We have the tubular open nib as well-Sheaffer Triumph and Visconti Opera Typhoon. These nibs typically wrap around. Some of them are not completely tubular, but have a gap such as that of the Parker Arrow. We have great pictures of the Visconti version thanks to Bryant:

Visconti Tubular

Finally the inlaid nib-Sheaffer makes nibs like this. I'm not sure whether you call the Pilot Elite as having an inlaid nib. The nib is clearly attached to the plastic hood. One must crack the nib off the plastic to remove it. I think though that is is welded to the hood which is different from moulding the grip around it like with actual inlaid nibs. You can see them beautifully laid out by Hari here:

Inlaid and inset nibs

Now, how about strange nibs like the Waterman Edson? The Edson is an open nib. It just has an odd shape that allows it to blend in with the rest of the grip section. You will know if you pull it.

So, the big question, how do we tell all these nibs apart?

The dart-style nibs are like semi-hooded nibs, but just almost. They are attached by clips to the bottom of the feed and they are shrouded.

The fingernail nibs are mostly visible. They are not attached by clips to the feed

The open nibs have two styles, the clipped style and the other style that is unclipped and held in place by the pressure of the feed and grip section.

We have the tubular open nibs like the Sheaffer type. The majority of the nib is again visible. These nibs usually wrap around the feed mostly or completely

Semi-hooded nibs have a small part of the nib slit concealed under the hood.

Hooded nibs have most of the nib slit concealed under the hood.

Integral nibs are nibs that are one piece with the grip section

Inlaid nibs are nibs that have the grip shell moulded around them as in the Sheaffer pens

Inset nibs are like the Pilot Super and Elite nibs. Many of these nibs are welded to the grip shell.

How about odd nibs that don't fit into these categories? Well, there are many different ways of doing nibs and attaching them. Within each category, we have variations also. I don't know what to call the Pilot Capless nib for instance. When it is outside of the pen, I am tempted to call it a clipped open nib. When it is in the pen, it is more complicated. The nib does not touch the other parts of the grip-section besides the door, so the grip section does not play a role in holding ink around the nib as does the grip section in pens such as the dart-style, shrouded, or semi-hooded nibs.

We will always have puzzles like this.

Quiz...What kind of nib does the Lamy 2000 have?

It's a semi-hooded nib. A small part of the nib slit is concealed by the grip section.

How about the Waterman CF? Shrouded Same for the Omas 361. You can see the entire nib-slit. Same for the MB Generation.

Anyway, I hope this adds other nib styles into our discussion.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dillo

• hari317

• Sailor Kenshin

• Harlequin

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you have the really original nib shapes like the Sailor Trident and the Parker 180.

http://www.stutler.cc/pens/trident/images/DSCN3607.jpg

Pic linked from this wonderful article: link

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_juv4wKFlvzQ/TBq8r6bJ7tI/AAAAAAAAAa0/JPZvZWaTDv4/s400/parker180nib1.jpg

Pic linked from this blog: link

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hi,

Yes, indeed, very interesting stuff.

Having had a Parker 180, I'd classify it as an open nib with an overfeed (the metal thing). I've had one in my shop before.

The Trident is just a really odd and special nib. I'm not sure what to call it. You could call it an open nib, but it has more than two tines. It's certainly something eccentric and you can't see much of the metal of the nib. I just call pens with nibs like that 360º nibs.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Is that Trident a FP or is it a type of ball pen? I honestly can't tell...

It's a fountain pen with a nib that has many many tines and a special feed. It's just a very special nib that writes in all positions and can take more pressure.

Dillon

Dillon

Hero makes a very inexpensive version of the 360, if anyone is curious.

Lol, I'm looking into that very possibility myself. There is another thread which reviews the 360, but unfortunately one of the replies also posited that on the new versions of the pen, Hero may have changed the nib design. I'm hoping either that isn't the case or I can find some NOS. ISellPens was mentioned as a possible option.

Edited by Harlequin

The Hero model is a nail... a curiosity. Personally I think the Parker looks the coolest, but you won't find one of those for five dollars.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Dillo :notworthy1:

This with a few if any missing nibs, like a couple of Sheaffers; inlays and Triumph nibs should be pinned.

Geha 725 Goldwing (Early '60's-72)Semi-flex.

With permission of Penboard.de.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/Goldschwingnib-2.jpg

You'd have to ask Penboard.de for mine, it's theirs...I am in the top 100 worse picture takers.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hi,

If someone wants to donate links to their own pictures for the cause (from a proper hosting site of course!) I'm open to including them in the post with the other nib pictures.

Dillon

Dillon

Hi,

If someone wants to donate links to their own pictures for the cause (from a proper hosting site of course!) I'm open to including them in the post with the other nib pictures.

Dillon

Dillon feel free to directly include my pics in your OP.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.