Learn To Write Arabic

smk

I was glad to find three examples of handwriting in my Arabic textbook. I thought I'd share them with you. It's always helpful to see what sort of variations and simplifications are possible to do.

post-113817-0-22981900-1403366392_thumb.jpg

Sample 1. Note for example how in sample 1 and 3 the ح letters are formed as a triangle.

post-113817-0-12800200-1403366394_thumb.jpg

Sample 2. Note a more oval shaped ه shape. Note also the alif-laam ligature لا with a horizontal alif almost like a cursive Latin t.

post-113817-0-09955900-1403366396_thumb.jpg

Sample 3. Note how the ن is written without a dot, but rather with a tail to the left. Independent noon (in red) almost looks like a Latin n. This is apparently a way of writing in Egypt according to the textbook.

Edited by antikva

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smk

• silver ink

• Ghost Plane

• antikva

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

noon without a dot as is written in third sample in our region is read as " small haay" /haa

handwriting is very good especially second sample

is it yours?

Edited by silver ink

"On every dishonest man,there are two watchmen,his possessions and his way of living."

Hazrat Umar bin Khattab (May Allah be pleased with him)

Looks like a Dollar 717i. I have the same pen along with a Dollar قام (qalam). I don't really like the qalam though. I'm surprised that it's supposed to be a school pen – I find that the nib is too broad for that type of writing. It might be that I'm holding it wrong though. I've never used an italic nib before.

yes it is a 717.

qalam requires a lot of practice actually

how long have you been using it?

"On every dishonest man,there are two watchmen,his possessions and his way of living."

Tobias - with the exception of the almost horizontal alif in laam-alif ligature, these are all acceptable variations. In time, you will develop your own style too.

The last example (with the strange 'noon') is Riqa derived handwriitng (also called Ruqah) - notice the 'noon' variations in the example on this page. This is not exclusive to Egypt - I have seen people elsewhere in the Middle East use this style.

The Dollar Qalam takes a fair bit of practice to use so don't give up just yet :-) It is easier if you learn the letter forms with a Qalam first though.

- Salman

A poem by Nizar Qabbani, written by my girlfriend using an Arabic Italic custom nib. The translation is written in my own hand.

Thank you for sharing tihs dragos.mocanu - it is always fun to see variations in people's handwriting. It is interesting how your girlfriend makes the laam-alif ligature starting with the alif and going from left to right.

Salman

i have written following with same dollar kalam like yours

do you maintain the same angle of the nib or while writing the pen revolves in your fingers and angle of nib gets changed in the middle of the word?

also see how "taa" looks like in "tobias"

the slant

are you left handed?

if no then the reason could be that since you pause in the middle of the word the ink spreads on the paper and the slant that is to be formed by the stub nib does not becomes noticeable.

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/24_zpsb1ca7a23.jpg

Edited by silver ink

i have written following with same dollar kalam like yours

do you maintain the same angle of the nib or while writing the pen revolves in your fingers and angle of nib gets changed in the middle of the word?

also see how "taa" looks like in "tobias"

the slant

are you left handed?

if no then the reason could be that since you pause in the middle of the word the ink spreads on the paper and the slant that is to be formed by the stub nib does not becomes noticeable.

Oh, thank you for this example. This looks very good and I like the line variation you get here.

I do write mainly with my fingers, so I guess that makes the angle of the nib change when I'm writing. I've been trying to write more with my arms, but it's a slow progress. :)

I'm right-handed.

Edited by antikva

Oh, thank you for this example. This looks very good and I like the line variation you get here.

I do write mainly with my fingers, so I guess that makes the angle of the nib change when I'm writing. I've been trying to write more with my arms, but it's a slow progress. :)

I'm right-handed.

no problem

yes its a slow process but with practice it can be done.i was also writing english with my fingers.now i am trying to improve it

Edited by silver ink

you should get a kalam

see how different it looks with a kalam

you can even make it yourself with a small branch of tree and a paper cutter

handle paper cutter with care

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/t_zpse09a71d1.jpg

Edited by silver ink

I'm more focused on learning the language and developing a good and practical hand than practicing calligraphy, but I must admit that I, from time to time, would love to play around with a real qalam. I think riqah is the style that attracts me the most.

How do you guys hold your paper when writing Arabic? Paper turned anticlockwise as in a Western cursive or paper turned clockwise? Or do you rather keep it perpendicular to your torso?

For Calligraphy it is best to keep the paper fairly straight (writing line going from right to left) in front of your writing hand's shoulder. This lets your arm move freely as it should and your wrist remains in it's natural position. Writing is different and you do what you are comfortable with.

I would like to make a distinction between writing and Calligraphy at this point. To write well you need to develop muscle memory whereas in Calligraphy you exercise muscle control. Muscle memory does not help you (much) in Calligraphy as you might be writing your script at different sizes and would expect to master several scripts.

For writing I place the page almost perpendicular to my body, for Arabic Calligraphy I write in front of my right shoulder (being right handed) with the paper in a vertical position, for Western styles, the paper is rotated counter-clockwise to the angle of the script (or close to it) and placed in front of my chest.

- Salman

mostly my paper is not turned and is perpendicular when writing arabic with kalam.

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/v_zpseae7c0d9.jpg

Edited by silver ink

A question based solely on artistic appreciation since I cannot read a word... Is it an optical illusion that letters appear to stretch out as you progressed to the left? Or did you begin closer together, then stretch to fill the space?

there should have been little more space between first two words and first word should have been little larger in size.

its cause i am learning and its not an optical illusion and and i was also not looking to fill the space.

Thanks for explaining. I was looking at the pattern formed since I can't read it.

I suspect, with enough exposure to Salman, I may pick up a little through osmosis.

you should see in arabic that which two words are repeating and appearing twice

then you should go to the english translation and see which two words are repeating and appearing twice

like this you will know the meaning of the arabic word that is appearing twice

this is not a rule cause in translation words can vary and synonyms can be used like in place of "no" "nor" can be used. "la" is also translated into "there is no"

if you notice first word "la", it is appearing twice and english word "no/nor" is also appearing twice

so "la" means no and you can practice to write "la"

slowly you can understand the shape of the words and their meaning and then you can proceed to build your vocabulary.

even if you learn 2,3 words a month,then after a year you will be able to read and write simple sentences.

Edited by silver ink

To anyone wanting to start learning Arabic – either just the alphabet or dive deeper into the language – I can truly recommed the Al Kitaab series from Georgetown University Press.

This is the beginner's book for those learning the alphabet and it's the one I've been using: http://press.georgetown.edu/book/al-kitaab/alif-baa

I'm waiting to receive the next book at the moment to start building some vocabulary.

Edited by antikva