Omas Filarmonica Limited Edition 300

Soot

INTRODUCTION:

The Filarmonica was commissioned to commemorate the new construction of the Elbphilharmonie Hamburg by a well-known pen dealer in Germany a few year back. 300 pens were commissioned, along with a few prototypes here and there. Unlike other specially commissioned OMAS models, along with its unique character in which it was designed to commemorate, it is also equipped with a special nib: a three-tined (semi-flexible) music nib.

Appearance & Design

The Filarmonica is based on the Lucens LE Black model, it is essentially the same pen without the demonstrator feature with a few extra bands. The Filarmonica has one ring by the twisting knob, and five on the cap-- which symbolizes the five horizontal lines (musical staff) in sheet music. Personally, I think that's a big plus on detail, since it was meant to commemorate something that relates to music and also to distinguish itself from other OMAS.

• Typical of older OMAS design, the whole pen is celluloid.
  • Hard rubber feed.
  • Five rings on the cap, one on the end.
  • Piston filler.
  • Filarmonica, xxx/300 imprinted on the barrel.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7019/6853042811_dac7b2b890_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7181/6853042959_152928419d_z.jpg

Construction & Quality

The Filarmonica is another OMAS' wonderful creation, though specially commissioned. Like some OMAS celluloid pens, they do stain on the section, and it shows. That doesn't mean it's poor quality, it simply mean it stains.

Weight & Dimensions

Please see the length comparison next to a M710 Toledo. The weight is a bit heavier than a Pelikan 400 (my benchmark), but not too much.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7151/6853043691_6a93ed3620_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7032/6853043467_59fde69c50_z.jpg

Nib & Performance

The semi-flexible 18K music nib performs rather well, though not the same flavor as a vintage one. I personally don't think the nib is good for normal writing sessions, but for those occasional doodling times, a great paint brush to have! **Please don't mind the four months late written sample.**

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7183/6853043143_d8f635f336_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7184/6853042557_9ca0dd95a9_z.jpg

Filling System & Maintenance

It's a piston filler and uses poly seals. Not easily taken apart, so maintenance could be an issue.

Conclusion

It's a great pen to have if you want style and character. The golden strands shimmers on the black canvas of which the pen is built on. Subtle and Flashy at the same time. Is it worth having? Definitely.

Oh, did I mention music nib? Yes, music nib!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7036/6853043939_876ef30890_z.jpg

--- Soot

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soot

• Inked

• colex

• quinden

Top Posters In This Topic

The pen looks great, as does your handwriting. :)

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

AMAZING!

For me? This one is the "paragon" and with an Extra Flessibile nib is the "perfection"! :puddle:

post-25763-083895400%201280651609.jpg

Edited by colex

pens: Aurora * Delta * Esterbrook * Goldfink * Kaweco * Montblanc * OMAS * Parker * Pelikan * Pilot * Sheaffer * Stilnova * Stipula * TWSBI * Visconti * Waterman

inks: Aurora * Delta * Diamine * J.Herbin * Pelikan * Pilot Iroshizuku * MB * Noodler's * Omas * Sailor * Visconti * Waterman

Beautiful pen/nib.

Your handwriting really makes it come to life.

Thank you for the review.

Inked

That is a gorgeous looking pen. It suits your handwriting.

"It ain't so much what people don't know that hurts as what they know that ain't so."

-Artemus Ward

Beautiful! I'm sort of surprised to see the tines "bunched" rather than flat with all 3 on a horizontal plane.

outstanding pen :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Beautiful! I'm sort of surprised to see the tines "bunched" rather than flat with all 3 on a horizontal plane.

Yeah - the nib looks messed up. Does it go back to straight when writing?

GP, watch art, Good catch! That "bunched" or "messed up" tines is supposedly the direction of Tom Westerich. The person whom I bought the pen from, also a board member, told me it was purposely adjusted by Tom. I am not sure the reason behind the stacked up tines, but sure is weird to look at.

When writing, the outer tines spreads and the center tine comes down where they all fall to a same plane, and once the nib leaves off the paper the center tine retracts back up and outer tines closes in again.

Whatever the case, I am going to get it reset when I get the chance. As for now I am just going to leave it be. :hmm1:

• 2 weeks later...

Nice review soot and amazing handwriting you have. I think the nib has been adjusted so that it never skips. the slits are closed at rest and capillary action is maintained when the nib touches the paper and is flexed with pressure. You will see that the Pilot Music nib is adjusted in a very similar fashion with the outer two tines slightly below the center tine. If it is working well, no need to fix it. YMMV.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks, Hari!

freakman, I don't believe this celluloid was made in the older Paragons you're looking for.

I wonder if this type of celluloid got paragon versions...

The closest pen to that would be the OMAS Extra Lucens Black. It's faceted and similar, if not idential, in size to the old-style paragons. It uses the same celluloid as the Filarmonica for the cap, section and blind cap; however, the barrel is made from a celluloid that has large transparent areas making it a semi-demonstrator. The Omas Lucens Black (no Extra in the name) is a non-faceted version.

• 1 month later...

I am the original owner of the pen. Your handwriting does more justice to it than I was able to do. Thanks for the wonderful review. If you knew the hoops I had to jump through to get this pen from Hamburg via Italy........ It was quite an ordeal. I had questions about the tines as Soot mentioned and Tom Westereich told me that he handset all of the nibs after he got them from Omas.