The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Omas Filarmonica Limited Edition 300

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Soot

Soot

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 21:08

INTRODUCTION:

The Filarmonica was commissioned to commemorate the new construction of the Elbphilharmonie Hamburg by a well-known pen dealer in Germany a few year back. 300 pens were commissioned, along with a few prototypes here and there. Unlike other specially commissioned OMAS models, along with its unique character in which it was designed to commemorate, it is also equipped with a special nib: a three-tined (semi-flexible) music nib.

Appearance & Design

The Filarmonica is based on the Lucens LE Black model, it is essentially the same pen without the demonstrator feature with a few extra bands. The Filarmonica has one ring by the twisting knob, and five on the cap-- which symbolizes the five horizontal lines (musical staff) in sheet music. Personally, I think that's a big plus on detail, since it was meant to commemorate something that relates to music and also to distinguish itself from other OMAS.

• Typical of older OMAS design, the whole pen is celluloid.
  • Hard rubber feed.
  • Five rings on the cap, one on the end.
  • Piston filler.
  • Filarmonica, xxx/300 imprinted on the barrel.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Construction & Quality

The Filarmonica is another OMAS' wonderful creation, though specially commissioned. Like some OMAS celluloid pens, they do stain on the section, and it shows. That doesn't mean it's poor quality, it simply mean it stains.

Weight & Dimensions

Please see the length comparison next to a M710 Toledo. The weight is a bit heavier than a Pelikan 400 (my benchmark), but not too much.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nib & Performance

The semi-flexible 18K music nib performs rather well, though not the same flavor as a vintage one. I personally don't think the nib is good for normal writing sessions, but for those occasional doodling times, a great paint brush to have! **Please don't mind the four months late written sample.**

Posted Image

Posted Image

Filling System & Maintenance

It's a piston filler and uses poly seals. Not easily taken apart, so maintenance could be an issue.

Conclusion

It's a great pen to have if you want style and character. The golden strands shimmers on the black canvas of which the pen is built on. Subtle and Flashy at the same time. Is it worth having? Definitely.

Oh, did I mention music nib? Yes, music nib!

Posted Image

--- Soot
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

Sponsored Content

#2 quinden

quinden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2012 - 21:22

The pen looks great, as does your handwriting. :)
Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

#3 colex

colex

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2012 - 22:14

AMAZING!

For me? This one is the "paragon" and with an Extra Flessibile nib is the "perfection"! :puddle:

Posted Image

Edited by colex, 10 June 2012 - 08:17.

pens: Aurora * Delta * Esterbrook * Goldfink * Kaweco * Montblanc * OMAS * Parker * Pelikan * Pilot * Sheaffer * Stilnova * Stipula * TWSBI * Visconti * Waterman

inks:
Aurora * Delta * Diamine * J.Herbin * Pelikan * Pilot Iroshizuku * MB * Noodler's * Omas * Sailor * Visconti * Waterman

#4 Inked

Inked

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2012 - 22:27

Beautiful pen/nib.

Your handwriting really makes it come to life.

Thank you for the review.

Inked

#5 phentrek

phentrek

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 948 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 22:31

That is a gorgeous looking pen. It suits your handwriting.
"It ain't so much what people don't know that hurts as what they know that ain't so."
-Artemus Ward

#6 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2012 - 23:19

Beautiful! I'm sort of surprised to see the tines "bunched" rather than flat with all 3 on a horizontal plane.

#7 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:14

Yeah - the nib looks messed up. Does it go back to straight when writing?

Edited by watch_art, 10 June 2012 - 05:14.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#8 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:39

outstanding pen :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#9 Soot

Soot

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 944 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:20

Beautiful! I'm sort of surprised to see the tines "bunched" rather than flat with all 3 on a horizontal plane.

Yeah - the nib looks messed up. Does it go back to straight when writing?

GP, watch art, Good catch! That "bunched" or "messed up" tines is supposedly the direction of Tom Westerich. The person whom I bought the pen from, also a board member, told me it was purposely adjusted by Tom. I am not sure the reason behind the stacked up tines, but sure is weird to look at.

When writing, the outer tines spreads and the center tine comes down where they all fall to a same plane, and once the nib leaves off the paper the center tine retracts back up and outer tines closes in again.

Whatever the case, I am going to get it reset when I get the chance. As for now I am just going to leave it be. :hmm1:

#10 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2012 - 17:06

Lovely pen and handwriting, thanks for sharing them both.

#11 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 21:25

nice review and pics!
thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

#12 freakman

freakman

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2012 - 14:32

I wonder if this type of celluloid got paragon versions...

#13 abhi4121

abhi4121

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2012 - 17:49

Fantastic!!

#14 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2012 - 20:09

Nice review soot and amazing handwriting you have. I think the nib has been adjusted so that it never skips. the slits are closed at rest and capillary action is maintained when the nib touches the paper and is flexed with pressure. You will see that the Pilot Music nib is adjusted in a very similar fashion with the outer two tines slightly below the center tine. If it is working well, no need to fix it. YMMV.

Best
Hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#15 Soot

Soot

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 944 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 20:34

Thanks, Hari!

freakman, I don't believe this celluloid was made in the older Paragons you're looking for.

#16 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:32

I wonder if this type of celluloid got paragon versions...

The closest pen to that would be the OMAS Extra Lucens Black. It's faceted and similar, if not idential, in size to the old-style paragons. It uses the same celluloid as the Filarmonica for the cap, section and blind cap; however, the barrel is made from a celluloid that has large transparent areas making it a semi-demonstrator. The Omas Lucens Black (no Extra in the name) is a non-faceted version.

#17 zenshrink

zenshrink

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 16:55

I am the original owner of the pen. Your handwriting does more justice to it than I was able to do. Thanks for the wonderful review. If you knew the hoops I had to jump through to get this pen from Hamburg via Italy........ It was quite an ordeal. I had questions about the tines as Soot mentioned and Tom Westereich told me that he handset all of the nibs after he got them from Omas.

Sponsored Content

|