The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Wyvern Twofold No 1

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2012 - 13:34

I thought I would share details of this rather unusual and early Wyvern. (The Wyvern Pen Company operated out of Leicester, England, and as a family concern they are considered to have been the manufacturer capable of giving the large companies a run for their money ).

The BCHR "Twofold No 1" is not marked "Wyvern" but the patent no dates it to Nov 4 1926 and is registered by A, A and D Finburgh, trading as Wyvern Pen Co. The unique part of this pen is the unusual mechanical pencil fitting at the top of the cap, which carries a very broad lead (which I find is great for sketching with). You may notice the unusually narrow section, presumably designed to enable the movement of the pencil apparatus. Overall length is 5 5/8th " with a new lead, reducing to 5 1/4" with a worn out lead.

Attached Images

• Twofold.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 trevortjb7uk

trevortjb7uk

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 13:55

Hi Paul.
I have never seen anything like this before. Where did you find it? I want one!
Treversharp

#3 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,208 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 13:56

That is a very neat pen. :thumbup:

What sort of nib does it have? Semi-flex or maxi-semi-flex/'flexi'?
The only Wyvern I have has a flexi nib.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#4 red52ripple

red52ripple

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 14:06

That solves a mystery for me. I had a broken one of these turn up in a lot I bought some time ago. I had no idea that it was made by Wyvern. Thanks for that!

Regards,
~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

www.goodwriterspensales.com/

#5 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,330 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2012 - 14:17

Hi Paul.
I have never seen anything like this before. Where did you find it? I want one!
Treversharp

It came from an ebay sale. Because there was no manufacturer listed, there was no interest.

(Here comes the plug....) I have a copy of Steve Hull's book on English pens and it is mentioned in there, so I had a inkling as to the manufacturer ( plug continued.... it is £55 plus postage from Steve, limited edition of 100, and probably not many left).

#6 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,330 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2012 - 14:20

That is a very neat pen. :thumbup:

What sort of nib does it have? Semi-flex or maxi-semi-flex/'flexi'?
The only Wyvern I have has a flexi nib.

Interesting question, as I had to research the originality of the nib that was fitted. It is a "warranted 14ct gold PLATE" which I had never seen on a Wyvern before, but which would apparently be correct for the period. It is firm, and probably not one suitable for daily use. (Shame, I find most Wyverns to be good writers)

#7 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2012 - 15:04

Clever pen, pity about the nib. Thanks, it's a good thing to post about an unusual pen.

#8 pmsalty

pmsalty

shamus

• Member - Gold

• 1,316 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2012 - 15:34

Wow, I like this pen. Nice find. I would love to have one as a traveling sketch pen/pencil combo! Thanks for sharing.
PMS
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

#9 Go Strangely

Go Strangely

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2012 - 16:22

Isn't the search function wonderful, I just purchased one of these today at an antiques fair, but fortunately not at an antique price.

Mine is discoloured and differs in 2 ways: there is no logo on the the filler lever and the nib is stainless steel marked: Guaranteed Non-Corrosive 1st Quality, also the end of the nib is not tipped, simply stamped creating a small "dish" on the nib end; it doesn't appear to have ever been inked.

Paul

#10 Aislingean

Aislingean

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:44

Hey Paul I have two of these!
One complete with the inox nib and one that came in bits that i retained for spares!
Until today I never realised that they were Wyvern in origin and I have a collection of Wyverns. :embarrassed_smile: :blush: :headsmack:
I have seen several locally so perhaps they were popular in Scotland or there was an agressive local seller!
cheers
Dave

#11 Aislingean

Aislingean

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:59

Seems there are several variants of these!
Is this a new collection field?
I am selling one at present and an interested party asked if mine shoild have a fixed clip?

Posted Image

The answer is .....Tthe four I have seen recently are all different!
Above, the original post shows a riveted clip. The one I am selling has an external generic type slip clip that appears designed to fit the patterning on the pen.
A recent one that sold on ***ay had a single slot fixed clip http://img.auctiva.c...598624671_o.jpg
and my spares box has a cap with two nickel bands and a double slot for a clip just above the vent hole.
How many more of these are there?
Anyone have any more info?
cheers
Dave

Edited by Aislingean, 19 September 2012 - 10:21.

#12 dbm

dbm

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:58

I have the exact same pen but its listed or labeled as a Gilder?

#13 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,330 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2018 - 13:26

I have the exact same pen but its listed or labeled as a Gilder?

Since my original post I have seen several of these pens, including a number under the Gilder brand. Definitely the same item. 

Wyvern produced pens for a number of branded outlets back in the 20's / 30's (eg the McLean bookmaker from Glasgow) so I would expect  Gilder to have been a brand name used by a high street outlet.

#14 MercianScribe

MercianScribe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2018 - 16:47

I have half of one...  :(

In a small batch of lovely pens that mostly came from my great-grandpa when my Granny died last year, I received the barrel and section of one of these with an older Waterman's flex nib in it, but unfortunately not the cap! Nice to know there are some about still so I might yet have a chance of getting a replacement cap!

Hi, I'm Mat

:)  

Sponsored Content

|