Fountain Pens In Hungary

Rique

I´ve been learning Hungarian for the last few months, and later this year I intend to spend a week in Budapest, to try out my new skills (well, I hope that by then I have already managed to advance beyond the "Hi, mi name is Rique" stage....)

To celebrate this, I think it might be a good idea to buy there a new fountain pen. I know I already have too many of them, but new pens are always welcome (I suspect most people here in the FPN would agree with this).

Now, I´d like to ask two questions:

- where are the shops for buying good FPs in Budapest?

- are there any Hungarian fountain pen brands? (I´ve searched here at FPN and elsewhere, and haven´t found any...)

regards,

Rique

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinta

• Rique

• NomadSteve

• jjlax10

There was someone on Ebay or Etsy selling some a few months ago.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

There was someone on Ebay or Etsy selling some a few months ago.

Ebay doesn´t count... I must buy at a real shop, in Budapest! :)

Hm... I´ve spent some time trying to decypher these links, using my precarious Hungarian, but to no avail - none of these seem to be dedicated pen shops. I´ve also checked Marcus Glenn site on pen shops (http://www.marcuslink.com/) and he doesn´t mention any shop in Hungary (which he spells "hungry", which actually reminds me that it´s almost tea time).

It seems I´ll have to go there and see by myself, unless we unearth a Hungarian somewhere here in FPN... ;)

Rique

Szia Rique ! I spent 3 months in Hungary in 2009 and did not see one store that was dedicated to the sale of pens. I saw one or two Waterman fountain pens in Miskolc in a small stationery store but that was the extent of it. I have a cousin living in Budapest. I'll ask if she knows of any stores dedicated to pens. As far as I know there are no fountain pens currently being made made in Hungary.

Szia Rita!

Thanks, that confirms my (worst) suspicions... ;)

I saw a few Hungarian fountain pens on ebay, following jjlax10 suggestion, but they were vintage ones, and rather cheap. Anyway, if you cousin can contribute with some addresses, that would be great!

regards,

Rique

Szervusz Rique!

I'm in regular communication with various family members & friends in Buda, Pecs & Sopron.

The last time I was in Hungary (2010), my old Pelikan still worked & I had no need to look into fountain pens.

Now, I would be curious what is available in Magyarorszag, if anything.

In the late 1990s I wondered if there were any fly fishers in Hungary.

I was very surprised to find both enthusiasts & sources of fly fishing equipment.

Could be the same with fountain pens.

Udv:

Istvan (tinta)

ed: content

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• 6 months later...

Jo napot! I'm new to FPN but as it happens, I'm living in Budapest right now. This is where, for whatever reason, the fountain bug bit. And I have to say that it is both a bad and a good place to get into the hobby. I know this thread is a few months old, but I thought I'd add my two cents in case a) you haven't come yet, and B) anybody else comes across this thread looking for info on Budapest.

Starting with the bad: a severe lack of decent stationery shops and, as far as I can tell, zero pen shops. There are one or two stationery stores, but they're not particularly good (think more along the lines of a non-chain version of Staples, e.g.). Nothing quality as far as supplies. Same goes to pens. They carry a haphazard and uninspired lineup of the predictable (Parkers, Watermans) and a few really high-end showoffs (one standalone Montblanc store in a mall, one of the other stationery stores carries some of the Graf von Faber Castell POTYs). And you can forget finding any interesting ink or decent paper around here - the stationery stores locally don't have anything more unique than Moleskine, sad to say. I'm headed to the States for a few weeks around the holidays and I'll be getting a big ol' box of goodies from Goulet to carry back with me, if that tells you anything about the local selection.

The GOOD news is, this seriously limits my ability to splash out more money than I should on the hobby as I'm just starting out. (this is better news for me as a resident than you as a visitor, I'm afraid)

Bottom line? You're probably out of luck. You can find a website for one of the okay-ish stationery stores here: http://www.green-papir.hu/ (I bought my Lamy Logo here: they don't even carry the converters for it. That should give you some sense of what you're looking at).

Good luck! And if you do find anything, by god, please let me know.

Edited by NomadSteve

I chanced upon a Hungarian-based eBay vendor who offers pens made there, brand include Lanchid, Refographs, Duna, Stylus, Baby, and perhaps others; it seems like there was a vibrant pen industry there.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

I have been corresponding with a gentleman from Hungary re: pens, inks, etc. When I asked about any fountain pen sources, he said that there was little to be had domestically. He has been getting instruments from internet sellers, as many do here in this FPN fellowship.

However, he did mention a Madrak Bela, who has a "store?" or web-site :

bolthely.hu/tollakboltja

(Sorry, can't give you the link because I don't know how to do it on a computer.)

I looked it up & read through the site (I'm fluent in Magyar) & it seems that there are some good brands listed there.

As for availability, that I do not know.

Minden Jot:

Istvan (tinta)

ui: While staying in Szentendre I dropped into a stationers close to the market cross, who I believe sold a few fountain pens. I wasn't as focused on fountain pens then, as I'm now & I cannot remember anything specific. My trusty old Pelikan 400 NN was still working then.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

However, he did mention a Madrak Bela, who has a "store?" or web-site :

bolthely.hu/tollakboltja

Hi Tinta -

Wow, thanks for the tip! I just looked at the site and it seems promising, and it does seem that they have a brick-and-mortar store. It's a haul from where I live but might be well worth a pilgrimage one of these days.

I'm also looking at online sourcing, though shipping here can really add up. I've got two modern pens (a Lamy Logo EF and a lovely little Pelikan Souveran 300 with a medium nib) and I'm now trying to find interesting ink and better paper. Unfortunately those are two things that get quite expensive to ship. So if I can find somebody local with quality stock, that would really be terrific. Appreciate the advice and I'll let you know if I make it out there!

Just curious. Are you Hungarian born?

If so, your conversational English is excellent.

Had a chance to have a second look at the prices @ the Budapest site.

I mostly use Sailor Standard (small) Profits (aka 1911-Ms) with various italic nibs & noticed that the going price for these pens, on this Budapest site, is 40,000 HUF (at our current local rates, this translates to 181.00 CAD).

Not bad, because a Brick&Mortar store in Toronto would sell these pens for around 225.00 CAD + 14% GST/PST (+ about 25.00 CAD of "benzin" to drive down & buy it).

My usual Californian site: (nibs.com, no affiliation) asks around 160.00 USD (generally a standard price for these pens from Itoya USA) without nib modification &, about 230.00 USD including custom nib-grind + S/H to Canada.

I would be very interested to find out if this Budapest store is in operation & if these prices (not just on Sailor) are as they're stated.

There is a good chance that I'll return to the land of my birth next year.

A shop like this would make an interesting visit, though I certainly don't need any more fountain pens.

Udvozlettel:

Istvan (tinta)

ed: for grammar & content

Edited by tinta

Just curious. Are you Hungarian born?

If so, your conversational English is excellent.

Had a chance to have a second look at the prices @ the Budapest site.

Not bad

Hi Tinta -

No, not Hungarian born. American born. Here in Budapest doing a year on my graduate degree.

I've e-mailed back and forth the owner of the store this afternoon and evening. Yes, the store is very much still in operation. I am going to try to get out to the B&M sometime soon, but in the meanwhile I have a few tasty new J Herbin inks coming my way this week while I find time to make the trek out into the 2nd and visit the store.

Thanks again for the tip!

-Steve

My pleasure.

This is what I like about FPN. Someone helps me, I help someone else.

Please let me know what your impression of this store is, when you get the chance to visit in person.

Cheers: Istvan

And more good news - found a store locally that carries Rhodia, Quo Vadis, and Clairefontaine. I have good paper! (they also carry a very limited range of fountain pens, but I did pick myself up a nice cherry-red Safari today...couldn't resist).

For anybody who finds this thread later, the store was Pirex Papir. I've been to two of their locations: one (Szent Istvan) was small and had next to nothing, but the Ferenciek Ter store was a good size and that's where I found Rhodias (all different sizes, bindings, and rulings) and a big rack of Quo Vadis Habanas in different sizes/colors/rulings. They did have a few Clairefontaine notebooks, but only two sizes I could find and both were graph, which I don't care for personally.

Shop link (with other locations listed): http://www.pirex.hu/shops.php?cat=1&language=en

Good prices too - Rhodia A4 top wirebound for ~$7USD (but no deals on the Habanas or Clairefontaines).

Looks like you are on a roll, Steve.

I'm encouraged about the Budapest sources.

Cheers: Istvan

My wife is Hungarian and we travel throughout Hungary annually. About 15 years ago when I first started traveling to Hungary, there were two wonderful pen shops in Budapest -- one on Andrassy ut, near the Opera House, and the second near the Vaci Utca. Alas, with the economic growth and development in Budapest these small independent shops did not survive. I think one can stumble onto nice finds in small stationary shops, as alluded to in this thread. This past summer I found a MB 145 in burgundy, complete with the case and all paperwork, NOS, at a ridiculous price -- about $350 USD. There was also a Pelikan 450 among some Parker's and Lamys. I bought the MB!

• 2 months later...

Don't know if the op been to Hungary or not, but I know some places with decent pen collections.

As mentioned before, Pirex Papir is one of the biggest stationery shops in Hungary, they have several stores in Budapest and an online store as well. They mainly carry Parkers, Watermans, Lamys and some Graf von Faber Castells (you might find some other brands though) but I've never seen higher end models. Just simple google their website or use maps to find where they have stores.

In, Westend (near train station) there is a stationary shop called 'Green Papir'. They have a wider selection fountain pens including Cross, Caran'd Ache, Parker, Waterman, Lamy, Sheaffer and maybe a few more. I believe there is also a Mont Blanc boutique in Westend.

There's another shop called 'Kes Papir' and they have several stores in budapest as well. (I've only been to the one in Jozsef Krt.) In me experience, they have the widest selection including some famous brands like Pelikan, Aurora. They don't have Lamys though. They have 2 or 3 websites where you can order from:S I recommend you to go to www.toll.hu . Their service also seems nice and they seem to know something about they stuff they are selling unlike Pirex Papir who has no idea what they are selling :bonk:

I've also found another store online, but never been there or ordered anything from there. Their website is www.tollcentrum.hu, and they have a good selection of Parkers and Watermans (yes, even the high-end models like Duofold, Serenite or Edson) Any feedback on this store would be welcome:)

As for notebooks, you can find Quo Vadis and Rhodia in almost every Pirex Papir stationary shop, while Moleskines and Paperblanks in Green Papir and Kes Papir as well as in some libraries.

Edited by yliu