Tardis Blue

Ethereal Winter Wind

You know, the last time I watched Dr. Who, we only have a black-and-white TV set (fortunately, this discussion is taking place in a forum where most of the members will know that is), and until today, if you'd asked me what colour the TARDIS was, I would have said red.

TARDIS = Timeime And Relative Dimensions In Space.

So, given the saturation of most Noodler's inks, does

TARDIFF = Thickness And Relative Density In Fountainpen Fillings?

Edited by stefanv

Stefan Vorkoetter

Visit my collection of fountain pen articles at StefanV.com.

A pen from my collection:

spacer.png

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CatBookMom

• beak

• amberleadavis

• Ethereal Winter Wind

I think I already suggested "Tardif's Police Box Blue" as the name.... "Tardif's" is very very close to "TARDIS"

If you did, and I have no reason not to believe you, then my utmost apologies.

I'm fighting off [rather, more like it's fighting me] one of the worst UR infections I've ever had.

I tried scanning over all the replies the best I could, to see in advance if anyone else had mentioned it.

It's hard for me to see [or think] clearly with my head so congested, trouble breathing not helping much either.

Just an oversight, seems we're on the same page though.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

I think I already suggested "Tardif's Police Box Blue" as the name.... "Tardif's" is very very close to "TARDIS"

If you did, and I have no reason not to believe you, then my utmost apologies.

I'm fighting off [rather, more like it's fighting me] one of the worst UR infections I've ever had.

I tried scanning over all the replies the best I could, to see in advance if anyone else had mentioned it.

It's hard for me to see [or think] clearly with my head so congested, trouble breathing not helping much either.

Just an oversight, seems we're on the same page though.

Oh, dear! I sounded cranky and I didn't mean to. My apologies; that's the thing sometimes with only written words, no nuances.

And I'm sorry you're ill. I used to get a lot of those URIs and it's miserable. There's an herbal tea, Traditional Medicinal's Breathe Easy, that I've found to be helpful; you can find it at grocery stores and drugstores. Of course, prescription meds are better, but the tea always seems to be soothing.

Oh, dear! I sounded cranky and I didn't mean to. My apologies; that's the thing sometimes with only written words, no nuances.

And I'm sorry you're ill. I used to get a lot of those URIs and it's miserable. There's an herbal tea, Traditional Medicinal's Breathe Easy, that I've found to be helpful; you can find it at grocery stores and drugstores. Of course, prescription meds are better, but the tea always seems to be soothing.

No, no, you didn't sound cranky to me at all, I saw you as just making a statement and an observation.

No worries, please don't feel embarrassed, I felt that way enough for us both by not reading what you'd typed.

I went back and re-read your post and sure enough it's just as I'd believed you, you had the name before I did, just worded slightly differently.

Maybe we were on the same page, maybe it was your influence already embedded into my subconscious that made me think of it!

I'd be willing to try an herbal tea, as long as it doesn't interfere with the Rx meds I'm taking.

I got a booklet, not a pamphlet, with a bottle of Cipro I'm on, micro-print and seems everything I like can react with it, like milk or anything with calcium.

The Cipro is taking a toll on me too, seems I'm having most of the listed side-effects such as drowsiness and trouble concentrating, but it's kicking the infection.

OK, veered off-topic a bit but thank you for your kindness and thoughtfulness.

Please don't feel badly, that would only make me feel worse, as you did nothing wrong.

We can agree, that Tardiffs Tardis or Tardiff Blue or anything similar would be a good name for a Noodler's ink of those colors, I think that's amazing.

That alone really made me smile, and the way I feel with this UR infection and running a fever I didn't feel much like smiling, so thank you for the smiles!

:embarrassed_smile:

;)

B)

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

I'd be willing to try an herbal tea, as long as it doesn't interfere with the Rx meds I'm taking.

I got a booklet, not a pamphlet, with a bottle of Cipro I'm on, micro-print and seems everything I like can react with it, like milk or anything with calcium.

The Cipro is taking a toll on me too, seems I'm having most of the listed side-effects such as drowsiness and trouble concentrating, but it's kicking the infection.

OK, veered off-topic a bit but thank you for your kindness and thoughtfulness.

Please don't feel badly, that would only make me feel worse, as you did nothing wrong.

We can agree, that Tardiffs Tardis or Tardiff Blue or anything similar would be a good name for a Noodler's ink of those colors, I think that's amazing.

That alone really made me smile, and the way I feel with this UR infection and running a fever I didn't feel much like smiling, so thank you for the smiles!

:embarrassed_smile:

;)

B)

Now why didn't I think of the simple one: Tardif's Blue. Doctor Who fans will get it instantly, or should. I think any way the word Tardis could be used on a commercial product might violate copyright.

I'll send you a PM about the herbal tea.

I would throw in a mention for Levenger Empyrean, at least a fairly close match for TARDIS #5 above. I think that's the one used by #9 and #10 and my favorite colored TARDIS. I do like the appearance of the "St. John's Ambulance" insignia on the current TARDIS door as a nod to #1.

"It is better to be both right and consistent. But if you have to choose--you must choose to be right."---W. S. Churchill

If this ever gets anywhere, the naming business could easily turn into a lawyerfest. If memory serves, I think the Beeb were so heavy-handed at one time actually to attempt trade-marking the police box itself as a copyrighted image!

The Metropolitan police clearly generated the design, through a man called Trench (?) again from memory, but the BBC argued that they had the world image priority, or some such. I think this was in the 1990s.

So I for one would avoid any allusions to the Dr. Who series at all. Oh, and sorry not to get the allusion, but what is the 'tardiff' word - can't find it.

Ps

Bottle was just a five-minute bit of fiddling in Photoshop - a bit scrappy - just to show the idea.

ETA - got it! Nathan.... got it.

What special properties might this ink have to make it different and unique in combination of Tardis colour and.....

I'm tempted to add 'bullet-proof' for police blue. Also, the huge shading in my little police box sketch is quite nice (?) - how about a massively-shading ink, indicating the Tardis de-materializing. :)

Edited by beak

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

If this ever gets anywhere, the naming business could easily turn into a lawyerfest. If memory serves, I think the Beeb were so heavy-handed at one time actually to attempt trade-marking the police box itself as a copyrighted image!

The Metropolitan police clearly generated the design, through a man called Trench (?) again from memory, but the BBC argued that they had the world image priority, or some such. I think this was in the 1990s.

So I for one would avoid any allusions to the Dr. Who series at all. Oh, and sorry not to get the allusion, but what is the 'tardiff' word - can't find it.

Ps

Bottle was just a five-minute bit of fiddling in Photoshop - a bit scrappy - just to show the idea.

ETA - got it! Nathan.... got it.

What special properties might this ink have to make it different and unique in combination of Tardis colour and.....

I'm tempted to add 'bullet-proof' for police blue. Also, the huge shading in my little police box sketch is quite nice (?) - how about a massively-shading ink, indicating the Tardis de-materializing. :)

I think Tardiff's Blue would be a good name, With a catfish in a trench coat popping out of a blue police box :)

I think Tardiff's Blue would be a good name, With a catfish in a trench coat popping out of a blue police box :)

Just "Tardif's Blue". I like it. But the catfish must have a long, multi-colored scarf (Tom Baker), too; trench coat for David Tennant.

Does anyone know for sure whether Nathan's name has one or two 'F's???

Edited by CatBookMom

Tardis blue picker...

fpn_1304582034__tardis_blue3_green.jpg

+25 green

You are my HERO! :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

Just "Tardif's Blue". I like it. But the catfish must have a long, multi-colored scarf (Tom Baker), too; trench coat for David Tennant.

Oh, this would be the best. I really hope this goes somewhere... I'd totally get that!

:bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

Alas . . . I suspect the catfish holding a sonic screwdriver would be out of the question?

Alas . . . I suspect the catfish holding a sonic screwdriver would be out of the question?

A sonic screwdriver would be great, but at the scale of the Noodler's 3oz bottle labels, that might be rather small. Good idea. Let's think on it.

It could be an allusion to it, he could be holding a screw driver in one hand and some sonic... wait a moment... :P

I like the scarf idea :)

Edited by Ethereal Winter Wind

It could be an allusion to it, he could be holding a screw driver in one hand and some sonic... wait a moment... :P

I like the scarf idea :)

What about this... A whole line of Tardif's Blue one for each color of TARDIS on the show to go with the Dr. Of that series, for example, a picture of a Catfish coming out of a Police Box with a long scarf and the color of that Tardif Blue matching the Tom Baker era TARDIS color? We could have 5-6 color blues to match the Dr. Of that TARDIS.. Make sense?

Take care,

Tim Verpoorten (Surfbits)

http://www.surfbits.com : Blog

http://www.macreviewcast.com : Podcast

To be honest, that many blues would be kinda boring

Edited by Ethereal Winter Wind

Two "f"s, or "Tardiff", beyond any reasonable doubt, as I've seen it spelled this way by [i believe it was he] Nathan himself many times as follows.

I've seen it spelled this way in articles Nathan has done, on items from vintage pens to his own inks, including articles and reviews where he has his name listed as such withing said articles...

Following is but one example I've seen, this one from a Stylophile Magazine article called...

The Sheaffer Snorkel:

The Technical Side

by Nathan Tardiff

I could be wrong [wouldn't be the first time], as I'd imagine only Nathan, his parents, his birth certificate, and the likes, would know 100% for sure.

Two "f"s, or "Tardiff", beyond any reasonable doubt, as I've seen it spelled this way by [i believe it was he] Nathan himself many times as follows.

I've seen it spelled this way in articles Nathan has done, on items from vintage pens to his own inks, including articles and reviews where he has his name listed as such withing said articles...

Following is but one example I've seen, this one from a Stylophile Magazine article called...

The Sheaffer Snorkel:

The Technical Side

by Nathan Tardiff

I could be wrong [wouldn't be the first time], as I'd imagine only Nathan, his parents, his birth certificate, and the likes, would know 100% for sure.

Thanks for the verification. I've seen it with one 'f' on several other sites, like Goulet Pens, so I have been following the wrong ewe :embarrassed_smile:

Here's something to throw into the mix; I found a BBC drawing from 1976 naming the clour to be used to paint the Tardis....

post-49531-0-39450900-1304816099.jpg

The date puts it in the Tom Baker era, and his Tardis is usually one of the lightest blues. Prussian blue...

post-49531-0-87558900-1304816347.jpg

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

You could always call it Cardiff Blue. Hasn't Cardiff been mentioned in a (fairly) recent Who episode? XD

Emoo the Sad Cow

Looking for a Hero 850. Because they're cool. Let me know if you have one you want to sell.