Suit Pocket?

mb011b

As mentioned already, a half-decent jacket has a pen pocket on the inside, although in some cases it has been replaced by a mobile phone pocket (you can't stifle progress). It's the best place for me. In the absence of a dedicated pocket, I reluctantly put a pen in another inside pocket, trying to avoid contact with other objects. The last resort is the shirt pocket (if available). The jacket outside breast pocket is simply unacceptable for anything larger or thicker than a ticket or electronic pass card (unfortunately finding a jacket with a ticket pocket is very hard nowadays).

As for ink stains, shirts are cheaper than jackets but a small ink stain on the lining of a jacket generally goes unnoticed.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yachtsilverswan

• mb011b

• RonB

• Wonder Pens

definitely inner suit pocket.

it's classy, it's elegant, and it adds some suspense to the action... is he pulling out a gun? no, but an awesome pen instead. bam!

:roflmho:

Inner suit pocket, I agree! And a leather Pocket Jotter is what I also carry for my pens, and I carry it in different pockets, depending on what I am wearing.

Here's a picture of the Count

If he can, I can. Of course he owns a castle and i don't.

BTW, its the Perfect Pencil

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2009/11/14/entertainment/photos_stories/cropped/anton_wolfgang--300x300.jpg

gary

While I think that the only thing that should be visible in the outside breast pocket is a pocket square, I have been known to place a business card case there for convenience. As for the Count, I don't know if owning a castle makes any difference, I'd suspect men's pocket usage styles are much more country dependent.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2009/11/14/entertainment/photos_stories/cropped/anton_wolfgang--300x300.jpg

gary

The sales staff at our Atlanta Montblanc Boutique has adopted this same affectation - wearing the pen clipped to the outer jacket pocket of a suit. Several of the female sales staff wear their Montblancs clipped to the lapel of their jacket.

But both Count von Faber Castell (who looks particularly dour in the photo above) and the Montblanc sales staff are in the business of selling pens (and pencils). Their financial interests trump their sartorial sensibilities.

A gentleman's pen belongs in his inner suit jacket pocket, or clipped to the placket of his shirt.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

The pen should be in the inner jacket pocket or inner pen pocket.

In decades past, the pen had the same status as the cigarette lighter - to be seen only when in use and pocketed away after use. It was always one or the other in hand, cigarette or pen and never together.

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

• 2 weeks later...

Here is something that I don't think anyone has considered. When it gets colder outside, the ink does not flow very well. More reason to keep it inside your coat. Warm body, warm ink.

Peace and Understanding

gary

Also, if Albert Einstein didn't have a problem with it, I guess I don't either...

Inside pocket

For in all things the woman is full of fear, not able to look upon battle or cold steel. But when she is

wounded over love no heart is more murderous.

Medea 263-266

Personally I think having a pen in the coat pen pocket and a pen in ones shirt pocket is the only way to fly. One might need a second pen, or a second ink color.

I like what you're thinking here, I never carry just one pen. But I must say it's redundant to wear a vest and a shirt with a pocket which is why they make both, not that one makes you more of a gentleman than the other. My vote goes to vest if you're wearing one or inner jacket pocket. I've had many a pen slip out from my shirt pocket while bending over to pick something up.

Also, if Albert Einstein didn't have a problem with it, I guess I don't either...

Professor Einstein may not be the best choice for a sartorial or grooming role model. I can just see the Style Magazine caption - Pen by Pelikan; Hair by Van de Graaff.

Though I understand in the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s, clipping a fountain pen to your outer jacket pocket was not uncommon among New England academicians. The practicality of this choice flowed from the poor heating plants in many major universities of the Northeast and the need to keep your jacket on for warmth throughout the day in the office, in the lab, and in the lecture hall.

Konqueso mentioned clipping a pen to an outer vest pocket. I had never considered that; it's been decades since I last wore a vest except for White Tie - and my White Tie vest does not have a pen pocket - just a watch pocket and a card pocket. Do most gentlemen's vests (i.e. waistcoats for our British members) have pen pockets suitable for a MB 149?

Edited by yachtsilverswan

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

• 2 weeks later...

A gentleman does not carry his own pen. Such mundane tasks are left to the butler or manservant.

Geesh, I thought everybody knew that.

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I guess that depends on where you are geographically: here, in my neck of the woods, the suit jacket is worn to be taken off - it's too darn hot to wear it all the time. So keeping the pen inside the inner jacket pocket may prove tricky.

However, when in court (where the jacket is mandatory, and sometimes even a robe) or in a formal meeting, I much prefer the inner jacket pocket - mostly because of the elegant gesture of taking it out...

I would not wear the pen in the outer suit pocket - it might ruin the structure of the pocket, and it seems too 1920's to me...

Amit.

Amit raises a good point. What is and what is not acceptable to do with your suitcoat is going to vary from place to place. That said, unless you're hoping to show it off, I think the best and most secure place for it is in a pen case in you coat pocket.

depends on the pen. if a light med size pen, then shirt pocket... if med to heavy, suit pocket.

i had a leak when a pen cap came loose in my suit pocket whilst jumping up and down to the Black Eyed Peas song "I gotta feeling"... the suit was black and so was the ink... can't notice it!!! :bunny01:

edited to add: i meant the inside pocket of the suit. i hate carrying it on the outer pocket.

Edited by lovemy51

I prefer the vest pocket or inside jacket pocket.

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

In the old days, when ordering a custom suit, the tailor would make a small pocket just beside the wallet one and this is where the pens would be placed. I am sure that you can have it done too. When I buy a suit I always have it customized the same way I and never had a problem. It usually cost me around $100.

Antoine

Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known." ~ Winnie the Pooh

• 1 year later...

If the gentleman has spacers in his earlobes, the pen could always rest there...a Parker "51" with gold-filled cap would look especially fetching. A matching pencil in the other earlobe would complete the ensemble.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809