Broken Vanishing Point

watch_art

my pilot vp is broken on the metal nose cone.

picture the two holes the clip fits in.

under one of the holes the metal is broken all the way to the barrel. the clip can swing quite wide in one direction.

can i send this to pilot?

got the pen in a trade.

don't even know how old it is.

will they charge me a bunch of money to fix it or is this something that's considered a manufacturing defect?

anybody seen a break in this spot before?

pics later. too tired to bother tonight.

good night.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• alvarez57

• USMCMom

• gkterry

I've never had a problem with my VP's or any of my Pilot Namiki pens but I believe the warranty is 3 years . A broken clip may not be covered, but I assume the pen is still usable? Many actually hate the location of the clip on the VP. It may also be possible to replace or find a new section. My link

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Yeah it's still usable, but it's nagging at me. I mean, it's BROKEN, and I'm really annoyed by it. Especially because I don't know how long it's been there. Any parts out there?

The metal nose cone came free of my VP. I sent it back to Pilot and they either fixed it or sent me a new one. I couldn't tell. I was very happy with the service. Try sending it to them for repairs.

Kathy

http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-animal-020.gif

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

whoa, double post. whoops. finally got the nose off last night. boy the insides are ugly. No way you could use it without the nose on there except as a stay-at-home pen b/c you'd end up knocking the spring off in your pocket. pics tonight. but I think i'm gonna try to solder the crack from the inside and leave the clip off.

• 2 weeks later...

Watch art:

I have a similar problem but unlike you, I don't repair pens. Do you have the address where I could send the pens to get fixed?

http://inlinethumb04.webshots.com/45123/2073053110105226730S425x425Q85.jpg

Ouch! Notice that it is a thin metal cover with a [brittle] plastic inside. :glare:

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Well, actually I'm doing a favor to my nurse (finding where to send the pen). Yup! She dropped it and also had it in her coat pocket afterward. :yikes:

I urged her to always store the pen in a case. Is it easy to contact Pilot as opposed to Platinum??? :gaah:

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

here are pics... and a video.

rubber bands gave me something to feel for to find the top since the clip was gone. i was always holding it sideways. this pen is useless without the clip.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1042/5177454023_e53441862f.jpg

002 by watch_art, on Flickr

another shot apart

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1337/5178058074_4d0147f7ba.jpg

003 by watch_art, on Flickr

all done. not symmetrical by any means, but feels better than it did even before it broke.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1373/5177454273_b0679ff469.jpg

012 by watch_art, on Flickr

here's the video:

• 3 weeks later...

Emailed Namiki USA and got the response that it would be $75 to replace the nose cone/clip on my pen. YIKES.

Here's their contact info

Pilot Corporation of America

Namiki Repair Service

3855 Regent Blvd

Jacksonville , FL 32224

Here's the lady I talked to...

Melissa Hugger

Consumer Advisor

Edited by watch_art

• 2 weeks later...

You can buy a complete body for a VP for $77 from Richard Binder.

Current Favorite Pens: Aurora Talentum, Pelikan Polar Lights and Bexley 10th Anniversary

• 6 months later...
  • 6 years later...

I have just done the same to my VP; the spring/trapdoor/rubber grommet fell out one morning, after constant use (but it had been dropped onto its nose about 4 years ago, so I am not surprised.

I tried to remove the nose cone, as per Richard Binder's instructions, but I over squeezed and under heated, and cracked the nose.

I left it a day, then had another go, and with MUCH more heat, was able to extract the nose with not more damage. I am debating whether to solder/braze fix the nose, or turn another on my little lathe.

I think I might have a go at turning first. Making it all off centre might be a challenge, but it will be fun, and anything is better than $75 (or whatever this year's price is!)

Thanks for your photos, they really helped!

Plusfours