Melting Sealing Wax

jbb

Wax jacks were used to melt the wax for sealing letters and documents. They all have some kind of thumb hold so the wax could be tipped over onto the document. The sterling silver and silver plate wax jacks would have been awkward, I think, but that was their purpose.

Almost the purpose! The wax jack was used to heat the sealing wax as if it were a candle! The jack stayed upright on the desk and the stick or spoon of sealing wax was moved over to the paper.

Yeah, I had this for the most part and wrote as such in a post last year. Then I did something silly and read some "deep" writing on it (darned if I can find it now). I'm happy to be corrected back to the original, however. I think in earlier periods it could have gone both ways, since tipping a candle would have been common anyway (at least it sounds logical). You are gonna make me go try to dig up more, real research and information now, than what is readily out there. This is a good thing, I need a nudge now and again. I really should not take the first - or second - information I come across as gospel.

Edited by kiavonne

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jbb

• Rena

• kiavonne

• DavidHandmade

Top Posters In This Topic

LOVE those wax jacks, Kiavonne.

I think I'm the only one here who prefers the candle and matches approach for making wax seals. I like the simplicity of this technique, plus there's no need to buy anything special since I always have candles and matches on hand. :)

I think I'm the only one here who prefers the candle and matches approach for making wax seals. I like the simplicity of this technique, plus there's no need to buy anything special since I always have candles and matches on hand. :)

Were you the one who made the video, Rena? Perhaps post it again?

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

+1 to any kind of butane lighter. Right now I'm using a regular zippo and if I don't use a spoon, chances are the wax will drip down. I don't really like using a spoon so I'm gonna get a butane lighter which you can tilt and avoid getting wax on it.

Give up my fountain pen? You'll have to pry it from my cold, dead, inkstained, hands!

'Twas me, Kiavonne. Let's see if I can remember how to post a video... I apologize for the graphics being a bit blurry, but Photobucket doesn't allow me to post the larger file size with sharper graphics.

Edited by Rena

'Twas me, Kiavonne. Let's see if I can remember how to post a video... I apologize for the graphics being a bit blurry, but Photobucket doesn't allow me to post the larger file size with sharper graphics.

Perfect! Simple elegance all the way. Maybe the old fashioned way is the best.

Thanks, Rena.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Rena, what a great video, thanks for showing...beautifully made! :clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

I'm a big fan of Rena's video, too. :)

Those wax jacks are fascinating. It's interesting that back then they actually had a separate tool for the purpose of creating seals. Kiavonne, do you know what your jacks' wax coils are made of? Is it tallow?

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

I'm glad you guys liked it. I had fun making the video, and ever since then, I hear "Sogno" in my head whenever I play with sealing wax. :) :)

Those wax jacks are fascinating. It's interesting that back then they actually had a separate tool for the purpose of creating seals. Kiavonne, do you know what your jacks' wax coils are made of? Is it tallow?

I'm not sure, Enai. The really old one very well could be, it's really hard for me to know, though. It's not like the wax I think of associated with most candles, but then again, I haven't seen 300 year old candles before. The other three with supposed "original" wax, I don't think it is tallow. There again, though, I'm rather ignorant on the composition. I can probably get a sample of it off to someone if needed.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Kiavonne, that's a fantastic collection. I'm jealous.

To the OP, I'm pretty simplistic in my dealings with wax. I've been using wax from my empty bottles of Makers Mark and a bic lighter for years and it's worked just fine.

I'm not sure, Enai. The really old one very well could be, it's really hard for me to know, though. It's not like the wax I think of associated with most candles, but then again, I haven't seen 300 year old candles before. The other three with supposed "original" wax, I don't think it is tallow. There again, though, I'm rather ignorant on the composition. I can probably get a sample of it off to someone if needed.

Thanks for the reply, Kiavonne. It's no biggie, I was just curious and went into Antiques Roadshow mode. I'm guessing that a large part of the value of wax jacks comes from the fact that the wax is original.

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

I'm using the "industrialized" method: Butane Zippo lighter. It melts the J. Herbin Supple waxes in a few seconds (Well, propably the same is true for fingers). -_-

Firat CINGI - Be in peace..

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Hmmm, doesn't it seem unlikely that a period method would waste so many sulfurs (matches)???

I light a candle (one match) and heat the wax stick (or the faux J Herbin 'supple') directly over the candle. Careful manipulation of the stick will allow you to build a mass of liquid wax on the end and when it reaches the appropriate size, dab it against the paper and spread into a regular shape...

Gosh, I don't want to spend money on anything other than FPs!

Russ

first fountain pen: student Sheaffer, 1956

next fountain pen: Montblanc 146 circa 1990

favourite ink: Noodler's Zhivago

favourite pen: Waterman No. 12

most beautiful pen: Conway Stewart 84 red with gold veins, oh goodness gracious

I cheat a little, I've actually tried some waxes that us a hot melt gun but they are not of the supple variety. Other wise I use one of those long handled lighters that you might use to light your fireplace or barbecue.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Just got into these sealing wax, and I've been using the Bic Multi-Purpose Lighters. Still trying to get that "perfect" seal going. . .

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

...I light a candle (one match) and heat the wax stick (or the faux J Herbin 'supple') directly over the candle. Careful manipulation of the stick will allow you to build a mass of liquid wax on the end and when it reaches the appropriate size, dab it against the paper and spread into a regular shape...

I'm using the same method you describe.

Just got into these sealing wax, and I've been using the Bic Multi-Purpose Lighters. Still trying to get that "perfect" seal going. . .

I can't quite get the perfect seal yet either.

...I light a candle (one match) and heat the wax stick (or the faux J Herbin 'supple') directly over the candle. Careful manipulation of the stick will allow you to build a mass of liquid wax on the end and when it reaches the appropriate size, dab it against the paper and spread into a regular shape...

I'm using the same method you describe.

This doesn't work for me. The wax begins dripping before I can get a large enough softened portion for my large seals before moving the stick to the envelope flap in order to dab onto the paper. No matter though. I think it's neat that people use whatever method works best for them, or whatever method appeals to them. It's great there are so many techniques to choose from. Thanks for starting this good topic, JBB!!! :)

This doesn't work for me. The wax begins dripping before I can get a large enough softened portion for my large seals before moving the stick to the envelope flap in order to dab onto the paper. No matter though. I think it's neat that people use whatever method works best for them, or whatever method appeals to them. It's great there are so many techniques to choose from. Thanks for starting this good topic, JBB!!! :)

Waxes and seals have become a permanent fixture on my desk along with a brass candle holder and snuffer. All of my letters are getting wax seals these days.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4131/4963197617_e9475ca0ed_b.jpg

JBB,

That is a beautiful setup you have — LOVE that photo! I'd better answer your last letter so I can receive one of your wax seals!!!!! :) :) :) :)