Tuckaways?

ukulelecraig

Greg:

The wide band, clipless Tuckies, in your last photo. Do you have a SWAG on their manufacturing date? TIA, Jim

1942-1945 (approx) is the range for these "2nd generation" (after the gold-filled model, and before the clip was introduced) TBOMK.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• gregamckinney

• blopplop

• jimhughes

I am so insanely jealous of that collection. I really like the tuckaway design, and just got my first one for christmas. It's not restored, so I'm not sure if I want to try it myself (it'd be my first touchdown repair) or wait and get a cheaper less pretty touchdown filler pen first and try with that.

I doubt that you will find many touchdown Tuckaways. Most were vac-fil. That's not a repair I'd suggest anyone start with.

Actually, you may find many touchdown Tuckaways. They show up pretty often in the latest generation pens.

Regards, greg

Thanks Greg. That was my best guess from Googling on Binder, Pen hero and Vintage Pen sites. I appreciate you confirming the wide band, colour and no clip/clasp production dates. I've got a Golden Brown one with Lifetime nib and White Dot on Cap tip heading my way now. Have a great week, Jim

the black tuckaways with the clip and white dot look like little penguins (clip is the beak, white dot eye, and you can imagine the rest). They are the CatLOLs of pens.

Edited by Pepin

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

• 1 year later...

Oh man, I'm totally hopping on board the lust train. I'm desperate for a red or gray striated clipless tuckaway. But where does one find them these days? Any tips?

Are you familiar with the repair impedimenta with the vac-filler? The no-clip guys you describe were only made with the vac filler, I believe. I have seen these on ebay from time to time. Also, I have seen a number of tuckaways sold on ebay where someone has stuck a regular cap on them, which makes for an odd looking pen.

• 2 months later...

I like Tuckaways- a lot. I admit to collecting them more than using them, but a propertly restored vac-fill Tuckaway holds quite a bit of ink.

Here is a quick pic of most of my Tuckaways, followed by a pic of a few clipless ones.

http://www.gergyor.com/images/all_tuckys_med.jpg

http://www.gergyor.com/images/clipless_tuckaways.jpg

Regards, greg

Great Tuckaway collection. Through my years of hunting for FP at fairs, antique shops, etc, I only found the tuckaway pencils and never really realize that there were so many colors.

You did good in your hunt of Tuckaways. I enjoyed looking at your collection :thumbup:

I like Tuckaways- a lot. I admit to collecting them more than using them, but a propertly restored vac-fill Tuckaway holds quite a bit of ink.

Here is a quick pic of most of my Tuckaways, followed by a pic of a few clipless ones.

Regards, greg

Great Tuckaway collection. Through my years of hunting for FP at fairs, antique shops, etc, I only found the tuckaway pencils and never really realize that there were so many colors.

You did good in your hunt of Tuckaways. I enjoyed looking at your collection :thumbup:

Thanks bluepencil.

Since I took and posted this pic, I have added a few, but not many, Tuckaways to my collection.

I have a couple more Signature (not Autograph, I don't think) pens, and two of the so called "First year" pencils. Really, first series, but probably made for more than 1 year.

Regards, greg

Tuckys rock! :thumbup:

I'd love to find more. All I have right now is a lonely '49 touchdown. I did restore it myself though and I think it holds plenty of ink. Touchdown pens in general are easy-peasy to restore and get working right, plus they make a satisfying little puff sound when the pressure releases and it starts filling! :clap1:

I think I could really go for a first series with the cap that screws on the posing end... :drool:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

Here are my two Tuckaways (TUCKIES!):

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/2615952207_5140dae58c.jpg

Four Sheaffers by ethernautrix, on Flickr

And when they're out on a bender:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3206/2616778774_0443ef1420.jpg

Coupla Tuckies and a cheap Chianti by ethernautrix, on Flickr

Spitfire, YES! Screw on posting, that would be most helpful!

Greg, I didn't know you had such a fabulous collection, wow! Very nice!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Tuckies, Sorry,

There is a picture of a '41 first series Tuckie in Richard Binder's article on the "Sheaffer’s Tuckaway"

I want it... BAD!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

The early ones look soooo cool and were more vest pocket pens...

After that, it became a chicks pen

The Tuckaway was a man’s pen before it wasn’t. When Sheaffer added the clasp after the war, the pen suddenly became a woman’s pen only.

An ad in 1946 says:

“Slick chicks will find “TRIUMPH” TUCKAWAY The Last Shout,” (can you dig that 1940s hip talk--anybody remember Maynard G. Krebs on Dobie Gillis?). The ad promotes the Tuckaway’s “Dainty size,” and claims it is “designed and finished to snuggle in purse or grace a Sock Frock.” What a difference a simple clasp makes.

The original Tuckaway, wide-banded and clipless, was androgynous. A 1943 ad says: “Slip into ANY pocket – in trousers, slacks, or purse.” And before that in 1942: “For men or women, without clip, carries safely in all positions in purse or pocket.”

I carry a gray striped Tuckaway, a war pen without a clip. For me it’s a pants-pocket pen, just as Sheaffer intended. It holds a ton of ink and does not leak. And it’s more fun than the Bullet Space Pen it replaces.

Ashby

“Kopasetic and on the button. Trim and slim—they’re a thing!”

(Sheaffer’s TRIUMPH ad, Boys Life, September, 1946)

Edited by ashbridg

Carpe Stilo

What Ashby said +100. Brown Striped Tucky with no clip, wideband, EF conical, stealth, nib, white dot. Just back from the Tyree Spa. No leak, ton of ink and fits perfect in front left pants pocket. Jeans, chinos, sweat pants or dress slacks it's perfect. Jim