Geha school pen

vans4444

One of my 790's has the shoe, the other not. So yours is ok.

:thumbup: It's wonderful to look at the papers that show how the reserve tank works.

Mine does not have a size on the nib, or feed, but on the back of the pen on the 'blind' cap.

It's first rate you got the box and the instructions. :thumbup:

Suddenly things become simple. A last warning, the last gasp before one it totally out of ink. Actually it carries a small bit less ink because the reserve tank is a bit in the way.

I'd known there is a small chamber behind the screw in nib. What I had not known was how the 'reserve' tank worked. And, it 'holds' more ink than I thought because much of the 'tank' is actually the end of the ink chamber, being freed for use. :thumbup:

It's sort of needed, in one way it's hard to tell when it's out of ink to me.

It's always been for me..."Oh, it's got a window. :headsmack: ".

My two 790's are slightly different, one has a green window, and the section is full black. The other has a blue window and is transparent blue half way down the 'black' section. :headsmack:

It just looks black when filled.

I am so blind, I'd not noticed that. :embarrassed_smile:

Perhaps because I always have them filled, I lost that both have windows in the first place. I don't hold them up to the light.

Now that the pen has been sitting not being used for a couple of generations. Do the brown paper bag trick, remember to rotate the nib. 15 second sets. That should take the micro-corrosion that 'iridium' picks up from lack of use.

What nib did you get, a semi-flex, or a maxi-semi-flex/'flexi'. My KM is semi-flex, and to my surprise my EF is 'flexi'.

Mine was supposed to be OEF and I'd paid 1/4th more for it. :crybaby: But I decided it was good enough to keep. I also realized that truly a OEF would be too small to really see much, so won't be bidding on one again.

I can't find any model number etched onto this tailcone.

So how does one identify the pen?

The pen is lightly used and i am glad about that.

But unfortunately the nib seems to have been reshaped or reground. :gaah:

I cant tell whether it was a ball tip.

It might not have been one since the feed says <M> and not <MK>.

It needs some nibwork.

Took it apart and gave it a good wash.

The feed assembly is clean and free of any crud.

I suspect the seller must have done something to clean away the oxidation on the tip and gone too far.

The nib was cleaned but could not be clean beyond reach - near where it enters the section.

So I disassembled it and cleaned it proper.

Polished the clip as well.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/FP/GEHA%20790/DSCF6986.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/FP/GEHA%20790/DSCF6994.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/FP/GEHA%20790/DSCF6979.jpg

The box says <EF> though. :hmm1:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/FP/GEHA%20790/DSCF6980.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/FP/GEHA%20790/DSCF6981.jpg

Edited by TMLee

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TMLee

• Bo Bo Olson

• Bluefinntuna

• Ted Andkilde

That's a higher end Geha, not a school pen, you can tell by the gold nib and the multiple "steps" on the cap jewel. School pens have a single ringed jewel.

Take a photo of the "business" side of the nib, it may be ground to a stub or cursive italic. The tines don't appear to be misaligned looking from this angle. From the topside it doesn't really look like an EF (tough to be sure), your box may be from another pen.

Cheers, Ted

Mine has model 790 and nib size on the end cap.

Neither of mine has a nib size on the nib.

A school pen has a the name School pen and student's number engraved one each. They have FK...fine kugle?

It could be yours was one of the last of the 790's and they had gone over to marking a nib, like on a school pen.

School pen nibs do not fit the 790.

I think a M would be normal, and MK would be the Medium Kugle.

Mine is KM. Kugle Medium.

I was just looking at my two FK marked school, and they never had the kugle point that you think should or could be there.

Why they are labeled FK is a total mystery to me. :eureka: Out side underneath, the nib is lots 'rounder' than the flat bottomed round topped MK that I have. It could be they put a larger 'ball' of iridium on the bottom of the nib than was then normal. Sort of like the end of some fountain pen clips.

I have a number of old 30-50's German nibs I'd thought some one took a stone to them, but with this idea they were not made with this 'kugle' that we are use to in the first place, makes sense of why that nib could/would be called 'kugle'. A bottom kugle instead of a top kugle.

That's the only explanation I can come up with.

Bill

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

That's a higher end Geha, not a school pen, you can tell by the gold nib and the multiple "steps" on the cap jewel. School pens have a single ringed jewel.

Take a photo of the "business" side of the nib, it may be ground to a stub or cursive italic. The tines don't appear to be misaligned looking from this angle. From the topside it doesn't really look like an EF (tough to be sure), your box may be from another pen.

Cheers, Ted

Yes, the nibs are not misaligned.

And I also believe the box is for another pen, not this one.

The instruction sheet is most precious though.

instagram

I have one of the Geha pens with the reserve tank. I absolutely love the pen - it's nicely designed, has a wonderful nib and is completely reliable. I don't use the reserve tank, though, probably just because I don't remember it's there and have never really learned how it works. Thanks for posting those instructions!

What nib did you get, a semi-flex, or a maxi-semi-flex/'flexi'. My KM is semi-flex, and to my surprise my EF is 'flexi'.

Mine was supposed to be OEF and I'd paid 1/4th more for it. :crybaby: But I decided it was good enough to keep. I also realized that truly a OEF would be too small to really see much, so won't be bidding on one again.

Frankly, I don't know semi-flex from maxi-semi-flexi.

How do I find out?

I did some smoothing with micromesh.

It's very smooth.

I think it's semi-flexi.

It doesn't spring apart easily.

But then again, I have a light pressure hand.

One thing I don't like is the smallish size overall.

Not long enough for me.

And I don't like posting my pens. Makes the balance go all haywire.

instagram

Very nice review and information. I will add Geha to my want list and scope out eBay :)

You may wish to stake out "martini auctions"

instagram

I have one of the Geha pens with the reserve tank. I absolutely love the pen - it's nicely designed, has a wonderful nib and is completely reliable. I don't use the reserve tank, though, probably just because I don't remember it's there and have never really learned how it works. Thanks for posting those instructions!

I am not used to the smallish size.

But it's a nice size to carry around with a journal bcos it doesn't take up anymore space than the thickness of the journal.

It also feels 'fragile' .

It feels like it can be cracked easily when accidentally crushed.

I disassembled the nib and feed and refitted it bcos the feed was too close to the tip of the nib. It seemed to be not well fitted.

The feed is interesting, it has a very big channel on its dorsal side.

No wait, stop already.

I am hijacking this thread which is actually about the school pen, not this model 790.

Apologies. :embarrassed_smile:

instagram

I am not used to the smallish size.

But it's a nice size to carry around with a journal bcos it doesn't take up anymore space than the thickness of the journal.

It also feels 'fragile' .

It feels like it can be cracked easily when accidentally crushed.

I disassembled the nib and feed and refitted it bcos the feed was too close to the tip of the nib. It seemed to be not well fitted.

The feed is interesting, it has a very big channel on its dorsal side.

No wait, stop already.

I am hijacking this thread which is actually about the school pen, not this model 790.

Apologies. :embarrassed_smile:

instagram

That is a standard sized pen....and it's balance is there when posted.

Of course it is too small...it is designed to be used posted. It is not a modern Large or Over Large pen.

It is @ the same size as an Esterbrook DJ, or a Pelikan 200/400.

You are going to have a problem with good nibs..ie nibs with some flex, if Standard or Medium Large pens like a P-51 or 400NN/605 are small.

The 146 back when MB made good nibs...'50-65 for the first class and 66-75 for the second class nibs, was a medium large pen.

The only Giant pen I know of you can easily get a semi-flex or 'flexi' nib in is a '52-65 or '66-75 MB 149.

Maybe you can find a big modern pen and swap the nibs.

It's easier and cheaper to learn to post...as the pen was designed to do, so it is balanced.

I have an advantage over you. I grew up with standard sized pens, so I'm use to them.

It's these modern giant pens that I have problems with. I need to shimmy up the pen if I post them. Some click so well, when posted like a Cross Townsend or a Lamy Persona...it would be a shame not to post a pen that clicks so nicely when one posts it.

I have to admit from time to time I write with them real big modern pens, with out posting...in I don't really think they are made for it.

Take a regular flex pen, draw a light down stroke. Then mash the nib so it spreads three times the light down stroke.

Semi-flex spreads it's tines with half the pressure of your regular pen....semi-flex is good for ham fisted writers. It is not a nib that does the splits.

It is a tad wetter writing when a tad of pressure is used.

It gives you a small bit more ink flow on natural pressure points of your writing like the last stroke of an n.

What I call maxi-semi-flex/'flexi' spreads it's tines 3 times with half the pressure of a semi-flex...or 1/4th a regular flex.

It can be used by a slightly ham fisted writer. :embarrassed_smile:

Some fancy can be added if you have the basic six strokes from stiff nib italic calligraphy, if you slow down, and add a bit of pressure.

I like both in Oblique. I have 8 obliques in both of those flexs.

Neither of these nibs are designed to flex more than @ 3 X a light down stroke.

An Easy full flex/super flex spreads its tines 4-5 X a light down stroke with half the pressure of a maxi-semi-flex/'flexi' nib. (1/8th a regular flex nib)One can write 'normal' with a very light hand.

How ever with a bit of pressure and if you have the basic six strokes down, you can really add some fancy.

Wet noodle 1/2 the pressure of a easy full flex, or 1/16th a regular nib. you need a Hand.

Weak Kneed Wet Noodle. Even less pressure needed.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

That is a standard sized pen....and it's balance is there when posted.

Of course it is too small...it is designed to be used posted. It is not a modern Large or Over Large pen.

It is @ the same size as an Esterbrook DJ, or a Pelikan 200/400.

You are going to have a problem with good nibs..ie nibs with some flex, if Standard or Medium Large pens like a P-51 or 400NN/605 are small.

The 146 back when MB made good nibs...'50-65 for the first class and 66-75 for the second class nibs, was a medium large pen.

The only Giant pen I know of you can easily get a semi-flex or 'flexi' nib in is a '52-65 or '66-75 MB 149.

Maybe you can find a big modern pen and swap the nibs.

It's easier and cheaper to learn to post...as the pen was designed to do, so it is balanced.

I have an advantage over you. I grew up with standard sized pens, so I'm use to them.

It's these modern giant pens that I have problems with. I need to shimmy up the pen if I post them. Some click so well, when posted like a Cross Townsend or a Lamy Persona...it would be a shame not to post a pen that clicks so nicely when one posts it.

I have to admit from time to time I write with them real big modern pens, with out posting...in I don't really think they are made for it.

Take a regular flex pen, draw a light down stroke. Then mash the nib so it spreads three times the light down stroke.

Semi-flex spreads it's tines with half the pressure of your regular pen....semi-flex is good for ham fisted writers. It is not a nib that does the splits.

It is a tad wetter writing when a tad of pressure is used.

It gives you a small bit more ink flow on natural pressure points of your writing like the last stroke of an n.

What I call maxi-semi-flex/'flexi' spreads it's tines 3 times with half the pressure of a semi-flex...or 1/4th a regular flex.

It can be used by a slightly ham fisted writer. :embarrassed_smile:

Some fancy can be added if you have the basic six strokes from stiff nib italic calligraphy, if you slow down, and add a bit of pressure.

I like both in Oblique. I have 8 obliques in both of those flexs.

Neither of these nibs are designed to flex more than @ 3 X a light down stroke.

An Easy full flex/super flex spreads its tines 4-5 X a light down stroke with half the pressure of a maxi-semi-flex/'flexi' nib. (1/8th a regular flex nib)One can write 'normal' with a very light hand.

How ever with a bit of pressure and if you have the basic six strokes down, you can really add some fancy.

Wet noodle 1/2 the pressure of a easy full flex, or 1/16th a regular nib. you need a Hand.

Weak Kneed Wet Noodle. Even less pressure needed.

Hmmm ...

That's quite a bit to digest.

But I shall try ...

:D

Thanks for the explanation ;)

instagram

Just had my firsthand experience with the reserve ink reservoir.

And it works wonderfully ! :clap1:

Pushed up the green tab and the ink started to flow flawlessly , allowing me to continue another page of A4.

I didn't continue using it till dry.

instagram

What the nib feed assembly looks like...

This is dismantled from my GEHA 790

Unscrewed from the pen body, just like Pelikans

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/FP/GEHA%20790/DSCF7103.jpg

Here the green tab is pushed up (towards the pen body)

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/FP/GEHA%20790/DSCF7102.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/FP/GEHA%20790/DSCF7100.jpg

The green plastic thingy is a loose fit.

It comes off easily , permitting a thorough rinse

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/FP/GEHA%20790/DSCF7101.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/FP/GEHA%20790/DSCF7099.jpg

BTW , The nib and feed is friction fit. You can pull them straight out from the collar that is holding them.

I prefer to pull them out when this collar is still screwed onto the barrel. Better grip.

How the reserve ink reservoir works

1) your ink window shows empty, out of ink.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/FP/GEHA%20790/DSCF7097.jpg

2) push up the green tab. The green thingy pushes another part of the pen fixed inside the barrel.

You can see it appear in the window. A transparent tube thingy.

At this position, the reserve ink reservoir now releases ink into the feed.

The pen will continue to write , at least for another page.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/FP/GEHA%20790/DSCF7094.jpg

3) When the pen doesnt write anymore, refill the pen as per normal by actuating the piston .

The piston will come down and start to push this transparent thing in the window.

This picture shows the piston coming into contact with the transparent thing.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/FP/GEHA%20790/DSCF7093.jpg

4) When the piston comes down completely, it will push the transparent thing towards the nib section and out of view in the window.

This pic shows the piston fully down.

Notice that the transparent thing no longer appears in the window,

and the green tab has moved back into its 'base' position.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/FP/GEHA%20790/DSCF7092.jpg

5) Then retract the piston, drawing ink up the barrel.

The piston is on its way up.

(sorry the pen is empty in this pic)

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/FP/GEHA%20790/DSCF7091.jpg

Edited by TMLee

instagram