If you only had four different inks...

tomat

If you only had four different inks which inks could you not live without?

I am waiting for my first fountain pen (Lamy Safari), and are contemplating on which ink (colour and brand) to buy.

I thought that it would be a good idea to collect the accumulated wisdom and experience of the FPN on which ink is generally considered the most useful on a day to day basis. (I thought of asking about the top three inks, but that would probably make the task of choosing to difficult. With four inks you have the possibility of having more fun than the typical "black", "blue" and "red/green/brown" colour option.) ;)

It would also be helpful to know if you have any particular reason to choose a specific colour/brand (e.g. -I need red and green for writing Christmas cards, or -You should always use NN for writing on envelopes because mail men often are red/green colour-blind or -I write in the shower and the waterproof ink from NN is especially suited for this use).

I'm looking forward to receiving your help.

Tom

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Viseguy

• djh

• tomat

• lapis

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only 3 inks- blue (Pelikan 4001 royal blue), black (Tinte- 2,85€ for 30ml) and red (Tinte). So I don't really have a dilema (yet).

Other shades I can get by mixing them together. ;)

I strongly advise you to stick to Idamine inks for now. They are solid reliable inks that do not require high maintenance (like Noodler's and Private Reserve) and they have a massive range of colours. My personal favourites are Diamine Blue-Black, Florida Blue, Damson, and Rustic Brown. Throw in Quartz Black too, for good measure!

The great thing aboutt his company is that they offer their inks in small 30 ml plastic bottles so you can try different colours without it being too expensive.(£2.54 per bottle). As far as I know they are the only company to do this.

I advise that you at least get a Herbin, a CdA and a Diamine ink. PR and/or Noodler's next.

As for 4 inks I'd take my 4 favourite colours (of inks):

1. Medium Blues: Herbin's Éclat de saphir, CdA's Blue Sky, Florida.

2. Dark blues (and/or blue-blacks): Tanzanite, PR's DC Electric blue, Levenger's Cobalt blue, Herbin's Bleu Nuit, Majestic blue.

3. Reds: Tiananmen, Erdbeertinte, Dakota red, Monaco Red, Skrip red.

4. Greens: Amazon, White Forest, Kelly.

Nelly

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Since I became a recent convert to totally Diamine, using these;

Teal

Blue Black

Chocolate Brown (but changing to Rustic)

Sherwood Forest--may replace Teal

So if I eliminate Teal, my fourth would be Maroon or Monaco Red

Bottom line: I'll have Blue black, a greenish-hue, a brown and a red

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

My list varies a bit from week to week, but at the moment:

Aurora Black

Aurora Blue

Diamine Pumpkin

Diamine Monaco Red

Great colors. (Nearly) trouble free inks.

* The pumpkin can leave some crust on nibs of pens with less than airtight caps.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I, too, am a fan of Diamine inks. My list would be 1) Diamine Sapphire Blue; 2) Sailor Red-Brown; 3) Diamine Woodland Green; and 4) Herbin Terre de Feu. I'm eager to try Diamine Rustic Brown and it may take 2nd place!

Diamine Chocolate Brown

Waterman Florida Blue

Diamine Majestic Blue (reserved for wet pens)

Parker (Quink) Washable Black (recent revelation)

Thats a tough one.

Maybe:

-blue: Sailor bbk

-black: R&K black

-green: Noodlers Pushkin

-and: Noodlers Legal Lapis.

Peter

"All modern American literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called Huckleberry Finn." - Ernest Hemingway

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_umCR_mxKcEk/Sg7Z_DC24YI/AAAAAAAAEEo/ubA0n5EC5Xw/s144/sig.JPG

If I could have only one ink then that would be Waterman's Florida Blue. But, to round out a nice color selection I would add for my four inks, Private Reserve Tropical Blue, Private Reserve Velvet Black and Aurora Blue.

It's not what you look at, but what you see when you look.

Henry David Thoreau

Sheaffer brown, Sheaffer black, Pelikan purple, Sheaffer blue

Yes I have other inks! I can't stand Herbin.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Only four inks ?

It could be :

- Waterman Purple

- Waterman Havana Brown

- Herbin Orange Indien OR Caran d'Ache Saffron

- Caran d'Ache Amazon

Ok it makes five inks but it is too difficult to choose between Orange Indien and Saffron.

If only four ...

Noodler's Manhattan Blackest Black

Private Reserve American Blue

Noodler's Widow Maker

Private Reserve Burgundy Mist

But ... I have no intention of being limited to four. :)

Kind of hard to limit yourself to just 4 inks when there are so many but if I had to pick just four I'd go with:

1. Waterman Florida Blue - my go-to ink. If a pen won't work with this in it, it probably won't ever work.

2. Diamine Sepia - has a nice retro feel to it. Shades very nicely in the wetter nibs too.

3. Diamine Orange - because it's bright and vibrant but not so much that it hurts to read (like some pinks, for example)

4. Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo - nice rich colour and great shading. Probably the nicest ink bottle around too ^^

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~