Parker 65 Nib Replacement

Tegna

Does anyone know how to remove a Parker 65 nib, which is too thick for my use,and still in the body of the pen, and replace it with another 65 nib that I want to use? The "new" nib assembly is on its own, and not in another pen.

It seems that it does not unscrew, and that a special tool is required to remove the nib without damaging the whole unit. If this is the case, is it possible to make such a thing?

Any guidance would be appreciated, as I live on a small Scottish island and cannot have it repaired locally.

Edited by Tegna

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• fibreglass_works

• Rabbi Zvi Solomons

• ttakacs

The first thing you need to do is to get a copy of the Oldfield/Marshall 'Pen Repair' book. This tells you exactly what to do.

The connector needs to be removed, then look inside at the collector & see which style tool you need to make, then unscrew the collector. Remove the nib, smear wax in the right place on the nib unit, then re-assemble. Not easy to describe without pictures, so get the book!

Regards,

Richard.

Edited for tripe writing error.

Edited by richardandtracy

So .... what are you going to do with the old nib? I have a Parker 65 with EF point that is too fine for my taste.

Sounds like you guys should just trade pens.

In my opinion, one of the primary merits of the 65 was the broader nibs. With an EF, it's just another 1960s Parker.

I bought a P65 with a dodgy nib a couple of months back - sourced a really nice replacement nib (there's a guy who sells them on Ebay), price was OK - then I did some research and found out that this isn't an easy job.... Gave it up as a bad idea and bought an even better P65 with a brilliant nib! ;)

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Does anyone know how to remove a Parker 65 nib, which is too thick for my use,and still in the body of the pen, and replace it with another 65 nib that I want to use? The "new" nib assembly is on its own, and not in another pen.

It seems that it does not unscrew, and that a special tool is required to remove the nib without damaging the whole unit. If this is the case, is it possible to make such a thing?

Any guidance would be appreciated, as I live on a small Scottish island and cannot have it repaired locally.

If you send it to me, I'll do it for you, for the cost of the postage, as a gift from one Scotsman to another, plus a wellcome to the board. Drop me a PM for further details

Eric

Edited by eckiethump

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

It's actually fairly easy to do. The key is to have the tool to unscrew the feed from the nib and the section. After that it is a 5 minute repair to replace the nib. The biggist mistakes are to not have the tool and try to force the nib off the pen and then once the nib and feed are out, to forget to place a dab of wax when it gets replaced.

Cheers

Rob

Easy said done....... Now I need a section....... Can anyone tell me what I can get replacement parts. Thank you all in advance. :

It's actually fairly easy to do. The key is to have the tool to unscrew the feed from the nib and the section. After that it is a 5 minute repair to replace the nib. The biggist mistakes are to not have the tool and try to force the nib off the pen and then once the nib and feed are out, to forget to place a dab of wax when it gets replaced.

Cheers

Rob

Easy said done....... Now I need a section....... Can anyone tell me what I can get replacement parts. Thank you all in advance. :

Gaah!

Umm. I don't know any for the P65. I believe you have a lathe - or am I wrong? The P65 section is rotationally symmetrical apart from a little at the nib end which can be done with a file.

Regards,

Richard.

No I do not have a lathe. I got most of the connector (in size) but the trouble is Now I lost a complete bottom of the assembly black shell and my gray one (shell) is broken too. Can any one link me to parts sourcing ???? Or i need a hammer.......

Gaah!

Umm. I don't know any for the P65. I believe you have a lathe - or am I wrong? The P65 section is rotationally symmetrical apart from a little at the nib end which can be done with a file.

Regards,

Richard.

No I do not have a lathe. I got most of the connector (in size) but the trouble is Now I lost a complete bottom of the assembly black shell and my gray one (shell) is broken too. Can any one link me to parts sourcing ???? Or i need a hammer.......

I don't know of any sources for spares on these. So you need may need a hammer soon.

Regards,

Richard.

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

I don't know of any sources for spares on these. So you need may need a hammer soon.

Regards,

Richard.

• 4 weeks later...

Would you do it for me? What would you charge (I haven't got the tool). I have a nice italic nib which I would like to replace the medium normal one. You'd think they'd have made it easily interchangeable - like the 75.

Rabbi Zvi Solomons

If not now, when?

If you send it to me, I'll do it for you, for the cost of the postage, as a gift from one Scotsman to another, plus a wellcome to the board. Drop me a PM for further details

Eric

Would you do it for me? What would you charge (I haven't got the tool). I have a nice italic nib which I would like to replace the medium normal one. You'd think they'd have made it easily interchangeable - like the 75.

Rabbi Zvi Solomons

If not now, when?