Prototype Skripsert?

speerbob

Hi, I have a really pretty Sheaffer Skripset. It's a brushed finish with a translucent white lacquer and ruby and diamond band. I talked to one very knowledgable sheaffer expert who says it could be a prototype as it's not a cataloged design. Has anyone else seen this or know anything about it? Thanks, BOB

Check out my website at www.Speerbob.com

http://www.speerbob.com/ebay/SpeerbobBannersmall.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• speerbob

• kirchh

• david i

• Ray Roewert

Hi, I have a really pretty Sheaffer Skripset. It's a brushed finish with a translucent white lacquer and ruby and diamond band. I talked to one very knowledgable sheaffer expert who says it could be a prototype as it's not a cataloged design. Has anyone else seen this or know anything about it? Thanks, BOB

Looks like a standard-issue Lady Sheaffer XV. Who was the Sheaffer expert, and what did s/he say was unusual about it?

--Daniel

Edited by kirchh

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Looks like a standard-issue Lady Sheaffer XV. Who was the Sheaffer expert, and what did s/he say was unusual about it?

--Daniel

Hi, It was the brushed finish, not a pattern, with the translucent white that he thought was unusual. You know him, but i won't say here. cheers, BOB

Hi, It was the brushed finish, not a pattern, with the translucent white that he thought was unusual. You know him, but i won't say here. cheers, BOB

Hmm, I guess I'd have to see it in person. Here's the pertinent catalog page from Pendemonium's web site:

http://www.pendemonium.com/images/pens/sheaffer/shf_cat_lady_3lg.gif

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer

Bob, my wife collects Skripserts and has three like that one. We have a copy of the Sheaffer catalog showing all the Lady Sheaffer Skripserts, and this particular one is #XV and listed as Moire pattern. They're nice pens. Unless yours has some unique feature that we can't see I don't think it's a prototype.

Edited by Ray Roewert

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g185/lapinz/RayKDHandPenTransp.gif

Philosopher, historian, critic, cynic, shaman, priest, medicine man, writer, wanderer, poet, dreamer, lunatic,

and mendicant purveyor of flatulent didactics. Pipe smoking guru to the politically incorrect.

Bob, my wife collects Skripserts and has three like that one. We have a copy of the Sheaffer catalog showing all the Lady Sheaffer Skripserts, and this particular one is #XV and listed as Moire pattern. They're nice pens. Unless yours has some unique feature that we can't see I don't think it's a prototype.

Hi, Ok I'd say you're right. When I think of a moire pattern I think of a true guilloche moire like on a Waterman CF. This may be the Satin finish from the catalog page. I would agree, it's probably a standard pattern. Thanks, BOB

Hi, Ok I'd say you're right. When I think of a moire pattern I think of a true guilloche moire like on a Waterman CF. This may be the Satin finish from the catalog page. I would agree, it's probably a standard pattern. Thanks, BOB

If it's the Satin finish, this is an uncataloged pen -- there's no model with the Satin finish and that ring of brilliants. I suggest you find another example of an XV to compare the finishes.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Here is one I recently sold

http://removed.xyz/websitesalespics/pen2583sm.jpg

Whether or not something is (to the best of what passes for our knowledge) catalogued, the word, "prototype" best is used with caution.

regards

david

David, you're right prototype is a way overused word. Uncataloged is better. Looks like the same one to me. Do you agree it is the satin finish? There is no pattern, so not a moire. cheers, BOB

David, you're right prototype is a way overused word. Uncataloged is better. Looks like the same one to me. Do you agree it is the satin finish? There is no pattern, so not a moire. cheers, BOB

I lean toward Moire, though I concede fair ignorance of these.

I have couple of the copper-gold colored moire pens. I no longer have the white pen in hand, but vaguely recall similar look. The moire is very subtle in these compared to say, Parker Pastel Pens in moire finish. I do believe the white pen had a pattern, just very subtle. But... I could be wrong. The diffused light I use for my catalogue-style shots tends to haze out such patterns.

Here is a moire currently on my website... not the white though.

regards

David

http://www.removed.xyz/websitesalespics/pen2619x850a.jpg

Bob -

The question is not whether any of us thinks "Moire" is a ill-fitting term for this finish, or if "Satin" would be a better fit, it's whether Sheaffer called this finish Moire or Satin, and all the evidence presented here is that this is the Moire finish.

Waterman overlays in the pattern they called "Filigree" are not filigree, in my estimation -- they're properly called cutwork. But I wouldn't say that I have an uncataloged pen because it's not correctly called filigree.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Bob -

The question is not whether any of us thinks "Moire" is a ill-fitting term for this finish, or if "Satin" would be a better fit, it's whether Sheaffer called this finish Moire or Satin, and all the evidence presented here is that this is the Moire finish.

Waterman overlays in the pattern they called "Filigree" are not filigree, in my estimation -- they're properly called cutwork. But I wouldn't say that I have an uncataloged pen because it's not correctly called filigree.

--Daniel

Based on David's photo of the gold one and the catalog info, I'll go with moire then! Seems to be the same. I have sold these before, but I never had the white and I didn't know the pattern name before so I just used a generic term like brushed finish. This is all great info! Thanks to everyone for the info. I love David's photos! Cheers, BOB

• 6 years later...

What colors have been seen or were available on the brilliants on the Skripsert XV?
Did they come in many colors? Was the band always in one color of stone?